Fremantle v Port Adelaide Patersons Stadium 1.10pm
    Sydney Swans v Richmond ANZ Stadium 4.40pm
    Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions Simonds Stadium 7.40pm
    North Melbourne v Melbourne Etihad Stadium 7.40pm

Sunday, August 31
    Gold Coast Suns v West Coast Eagles Metricon Stadium 1.10pm
    Adelaide Crows v St Kilda Adelaide Oval 3.20pm
    Western Bulldogs v GWS Etihad Stadium 4.40pm
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Warming the Bench
    Is anybody else as surprised as I am that the two biggest clubs in Melbourne obviously got their way again. Friday night MCG means longer break before finals.....Hmmmm any equalization issues in fixturing??

Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    Is anybody else as surprised as I am that the two biggest clubs in Melbourne obviously got their way again. Friday night MCG means longer break before finals.....Hmmmm any equalization issues in fixturing??
    Surely our game should have been swapped with the Carlton v Essendon game, and that game played on saturday evening, with the Cats game in the Saturday twilight. That would have given the group of teams that will make up the top 4 teams

From that, I think its relatively clear that, if we finish Top 2, our qualifying final will be the second one during the weekend (Saturday night?), with the Melbourne based game (assuming Port don't finish Top 2) the friday night game.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I was hoping for the Friday night but twilight Saturday isn't too bad
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    I was hoping for the Friday night but twilight Saturday isn't too bad
    That was never really on the cards because we play our round 22 game on mid Sunday afternoon. That would give us a 5 day turnaround, which the AFL generally tries to avoid (other than where ANZAC day forces such a schedule).

Thats a great result for us. Home game for a start, against a minnow secondly, and on a saturday arvo finally.

As long as we finish top 2, we should be able to stay at home until the (victorian favoured) grand final at the MCG.

Lets hope Hawthorn finish lower than 2nd, so need to win interstate to get to their victorian favoured grand final venue.

Goes up to 11
    4.40 is a good time for this Homebush match - makes traveling there and back pretty reasonable. Also it's at a good time to get out there early and have a bit of a wander round and lunch prior to the game.

I think it's fine in terms of recovery times for the players as well....

Collingwood should be playing Sunday with all the other also rans.......

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Collingwood should be playing Sunday with all the other also rans.......
    No they shouldn't, after such a fine season they deserve to start their summer holiday nice and early

I'd be a bit annoyed if I were Adelaide, they have as good a chance as Essendon of playing finals yet they're round 23 game is Sunday afternoon.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    No they shouldn't, after such a fine season they deserve to start their summer holiday nice and early

I'd be a bit annoyed if I were Adelaide, they have as good a chance as Essendon of playing finals yet they're round 23 game is Sunday afternoon.
    I thought the same thing about the Crows. AFL could do better.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Since we have to play round 23 at that awful ground I am glad for the 4.40 time slot, certainly better than Sat night.

It's a decent draw. Despite what we think of those two clubs, it's quite legitimate that they should get a Friday evening. We're at home so there's no travel afterwards. Freo and Port are both in the finals so they have every right to play an early game. The AFL probably don't want 3 games in Victoria happening at virtually the same time so that's why Carlton and Essendon got the early game.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast