Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expectations for the run home

Expectations for the run home

The weekends loss has really changed my expectations for the remainder of the home and away season. I was hoping that we could rest and rotate a few players into the team over the concluding stages of the H&A. I thought some of our reserves players should be rewarded for their season and to see if they have got what it takes to play in the top level. Players like Membrey, Robinson, Nankervis, Naismith, Hewett, etc. However, as a result of that loss, I think any plans may have changed somewhat. I see the objectives over the remaining 5 weeks of H&A being;

1. Determining who is our best 22. In my opinion Mitchell, Hannebery and Shaw will need to be slotted back in and build some fitness and form. By the end of the H&A, my best 22 would be

B: Smith, Richards, Rampe
    HB: Malceski, Grundy, Shaw
    C: Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh
    Fol: Pyke, Kennedy, Mitchell
    HF: Parker, Franklin, McGlynn
    F: Goodes, Tippett, Cunningham
    I/C: Reid, Jetta, Bird, Laidler
    Emergencies: Rohan, Lloyd, B Jack, Derickx, Membrey, Nankervis

Rohan misses out due to the experience of Shaw and Lloyd misses out as Mitchell gives us some of that inside grunt that I feel we are currently missing. Though they are next in line. Cunningham holds his spot in the 22 because of his goal kicking and pace.

2. It is obvious that Tippett needs to be managed for the rest of the year to ensure he is on the ground during the finals series. I?m no medical expert or neither am I privy to how he is pulling up, but I was considering the following schedule;
    R19 Essendon SCG ? play
    R20 Port Adelaide AO ? play (after 2 consecutive weeks I would like to rest him but this is an important game)
    R21 Saint Kilda SCG ? rest
    R22 Western Bulldogs ES ? play
    R23 Richmond ANZ ? rest (no way should he play on this dodgy ground)

Hopefully he comes back rested and fit for a full tilt at the finals series. Qualifying Final, week off, Preliminary Final and Grand Final. When he is resting, I would like to give Membrey and Nankervis a game. That extra forward is crucial to our set up and allows Franklin to roam the half forward and wing. Also allows Goodes to play out of the goal square where his defensive deficiencies (age and injuries) are somewhat less exposed.

What are others hoping to see over next 5 weeks?

I hope to see us seal a top 2 spot, avoid any injuries, get Hanners and Shaw back and in form, and see Tippo and Bud get their combo going. Our midfield had one down week in 13, not super worried about that. Hawks are the only top 5 side we've lost to, the hawks have lost to port, the cats, and us, yet funnily after that win they're clearly the best side in the comp. That's good though, means we get to go back under that radar we love so much ! Oh and Rohan to continue his upward spike and be a real wildcard come finals !

Veterans List
    When can we expect Mitchell back in the reserves after injury? This week - or next?

Tippett has had enough "rest" this year. It's time he earned his pay packet. He looks like Tarzan and gets injured like Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    The weekends loss has really changed my expectations for the remainder of the home and away season. I was hoping that we could rest and rotate a few players into the team over the concluding stages of the H&A. I thought some of our reserves players should be rewarded for their season and to see if they have got what it takes to play in the top level. Players like Membrey, Robinson, Nankervis, Naismith, Hewett, etc. However, as a result of that loss, I think any plans may have changed somewhat. I see the objectives over the remaining 5 weeks of H&A being;

I agree with Aardvark, the last thing Tippett needs is rest. So unless he's injured, play him as much as possible to hone his combinations(with Goodes, Buddy etc) and timing.

The only change I would make to your line up is Laidler. For mine he either plays in the starting back six or not at all. Would like to see more pace on the bench.

So , for mine, swap Laidler with Rohan
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Goes up to 11
    I think the intention of the OP was to 'manage' Tippet rather than to 'rest' him. If he's up and firing then he should play out the year. However, over the next 5 weeks, at any hint of a niggle or an injury, perhaps he is sat out a week rather than risking another 3 or 4 week injury. He seems a bit fragile but I'm sure we're all hoping he's fine now till October....

Poor OP. No more new players. Nankervis and members have to wait until next year.

And ANZ is not a dodgy ground

I believe we can only afford to lose one game going in so this Friday is effectively a mini-final as you'd think we won't drop two of the remaining four

Agree with the team posted above

Rohan great to have as a back up but think Tom is in our best 22.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Poor OP. No more new players. Nankervis and members have to wait until next year.

It looks like a pretty dodgy surface every time I see it on TV Barry, I think most people would agree. Pretty much always gets a discussion in the commentary box during and after an AFL game with footage of numerous slips on the surface. Think even through your ANZ glasses you'd have to admit that.

The surface has a history of being terrible at ANZ - even ANZ fans like yourself can't argue against that. It does however seem to have improved this year a bit - but I think there is still a strong correlation between how many recent rugby/soccer/league games have been played and the state of ANZ.

I agree with Mug - we can only afford to lose 1 more, and the most likely of them probably remains Port away.

I think Mitchell is probably in our top 22 if near fit, but who knows where he might be at in relation to injuries.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

ANZ has a lower injury rate than other grounds.

ANZ has a lower injury rate than other grounds.
    That is because the grass is soooooo long it's like falling on a foam mattress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast