Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RO'K free agent

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I have to admit, I do watch some guys running around in games and ponder "is ROK really that much slower than them?".

You'd have to think the cross town chaps would be interested. I'm guessing part of the problem is that we already have some not overly fleet of foot inside players in the team (Bird, JPK- Mitchell in the pecking order above him when fit), the Giants midfield is very speedy and Callan Ward is probably their slowest (and he's far from slow). It would be a good fit, ROK's a known name in Sydney, we know he'd set a great example for their younger guys and I daresay he'd be a starter for them.
    A left field location for ROK.

Collingwood!

I see Collingwood being able to offer ROK a multifaceted role.

ROK works in the food and hospitality injury. Collingwood have hospitality assets. He could help Collingwood manage some of those hospitality assets. He could also act as part of the coaching panel and be the team?s runner on game days.

I don?t think at 34, that his chances of getting on a senior list are high.

He could also play for the teams VFL side as a mentor to set professional standards.

I think if a broad based multifaceted offer came through like this, the he would be delighted.

Senior Player
    I agree with Ernie. His likeliest destination would be the Dees. Any other possibilities ? Maybe a superannuation season at GWS , possibly Dogs or even Tigers ,but I can't see him going to any other "big" Victorian outfit.I'd rule out Saints and a move to QLD , SA or WA,too.

Whatever happens , the name of Ryan O'Keefe is writ large,permanently ,indelibly,in the fabric of the club His record speaks for itself : he is,without hyperbole, one of our all-time greats and has nothing to prove.
    I wish him well and my only hope is that he does not do a Mick Martyn , by moving and playing one season too far.
    He deserves a more dignified end.

Watched him play seniors and NEAFL sorry people the game passed him by, still has everything a AFL player needs other than speed . Its a shame to watch a man with so much skill determination to play in the reserves . I felt mixed emotions watching him play !

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    A left field location for ROK.

Collingwood!

I see Collingwood being able to offer ROK a multifaceted role.

ROK works in the food and hospitality injury. Collingwood have hospitality assets. He could help Collingwood manage some of those hospitality assets. He could also act as part of the coaching panel and be the team?s runner on game days.

I don?t think at 34, that his chances of getting on a senior list are high.

He could also play for the teams VFL side as a mentor to set professional standards.

I think if a broad based multifaceted offer came through like this, the he would be delighted.
    Does that mean O'Keefe would be down at a venue owned by Collingwood cleaning out around the poker machines?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Any chance he gets a farewell game at the SCG before the end of the season. Maybe he will be kept fresh for the finals.

Senior Player
    On Grandstand interview just now Goodes said ROK can't get a game because of how good our inside mids are. And he thinks ROK will probably go elsewhere because he loves footy, wants to keep playing and "he *will* play senior footy again" just likely not with us. Refreshing candor.

Hell be another year older in 2015. Don't think he'll get picked up

Senior Player
    If he's willing to play for 100k I reckon someone takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    If he's willing to play for 100k I reckon someone takes him.
    Reckon you're right.
    I'd say he has something to offer a lower club if he wants to play on.
    Having said that, I was surprised that Jolly or Fevola weren't picked up when they still had legs. Fev I guess you can understand given his troubles...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Having said that, I was surprised that Jolly or Fevola weren't picked up when they still had legs. Fev I guess you can understand given his troubles...
    Jolly was struggling to stay on the park though and had a dodgy knee. Ryano has obviously been very fortunate in the injuruly department and still seems to be backing up well.

Under father son rule we get his kids.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by SA Swan View Post
    Under father son rule we get his kids.
    Does he have kids that play?

Sort of irrelevant but it's a funny story. I know his niece, we roomed together on a netball trip and I asked her if she didn't mind could we watch the swans game. She casually says aw yeah my uncle plays for them. I thought he'd be a fringe player or something, not even her o'keefe surname clued me in. I flipped a little bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast