Thread: Should the Swans Rookie List Waylen Manson

Suspended by the MRP

Should the Swans Rookie List Waylen Manson

I've been enthralled watching "The Recruit" on Fox 8.

Waylen Manson is one of the contestants on "The Recruit" and is clearly the contestant that everyone wants to do well.

I was thinking whether it's worth the Swans offering Waylen a rookie spot for the 2015 season, whether he wins "The Recruit" or not.

He is a highly talented indigenous player from a very small remote community in WA. He is 193cm Forward / Midfielder with an elite leap and has graceful movement. He clearly has the most upside of all the recruits. He was touted as a top 5 draft pick in 2011, but elected to return home to his family.

He is finding the fitness demands and the professional environment very challenging, but is sticking it out and slowly coming into his own. He is getting better by the week.

I thought that he could come along way with the Swans because the Swans have the best indigenous mentors in the AFL. With Michael O'loughlin, Lewis Jetta and Adam Goodes looking more likely to play on in 2015, Waylen will have a lot of support to make the adjustment to the professional environment.

We are mentoring Paddy Mitchell as an experiment player, why not a highly talented Footballer like Waylen.

What do you think?

wow what a gamble . his talent is there, that is not the question. He just does not have the "heart" required IMO. To see him do some of the exercise drills you know he would struggle. To see how he reacted to criticism coaches /trainers would have to tread very careful. To hear how he plays on one side of the ground at home just to impress the woman and have his love life bubbling along would worry most recruiters. It is difficult for people brought up in strong aboriginal traditional societies to move between the 2 cultures especially as AFL demands so much regimented activity. This does not block him from AFL just he would need to have driving passion to play AFL at the top level to have the will power to get over difficult situations.

He looks like a super talent and I hope he wins. We need to see some more episodes. I would be excited if he got picked up by the swans but I will leave that up to the Swans recruiters!

No one from TV Shows please.
    -

When faced with the reality(not TV land hype) of the daily grind, that being a professional footy player, he must follow.

Living on the other side of the country, in a big city....

IMO, the 'go home' factor would be far too strong.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    When faced with the reality(not TV land hype) of the daily grind, that being a professional footy player, he must follow.

Living on the other side of the country, in a big city....

IMO, the 'go home' factor would be far too strong.
    My thoughts also. Waylon is my favourite but I really think he would struggle in a club environment, even one with such strong indigenous ties as ours.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    We wouldn't really have anything to lose, would we?

Even if it was just for the publicity in NSW...how big is The Recruit up in Sydney? If it picked us up an extra 1000 members and a few more casual attendees on game-day then it would pay for itself pretty quickly.

On the veteran's list
    The winner is guaranteed a spot on an AFL list. How do they decide who takes him? What if no team is interested?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    No one from TV Shows please.
    Be worth doing if it pissed Eddie off.......

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    The winner is guaranteed a spot on an AFL list. How do they decide who takes him? What if no team is interested?
    Then Eddie gives a speach about how the Swans claim to be growing the sport but refuse to give such a talented youngster a chance
    Last edited by Untamed Snark; 31st July 2014 at 03:22 PM.
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    There would have to be one team in the League who has promised to take the winner if no other bids are placed.

I would think that team is Collingwood.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    No doubt the AFL would be offering pretty decent incentives for whoever does decide to take the winner