Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 18: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    What about training Derickx up for the back line!!!
    Only if the backline extends out to the parking lot.

Opti-pessi-misti
    You don't think Derickx could be the Buddy of the backline? His bash, crash style could bring that something different. We already have the markers, spoilers, interceptors and rebounders - so predictable!

You don't think Derickx could be the Buddy of the backline? His bash, crash style could bring that something different. We already have the markers, spoilers, interceptors and rebounders - so predictable!
    If Chelsea thinks it's safe to position big Tom between the goalposts, then it's okay by me.
    397033-chelsea-roffey.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hewett is a midfielder, though he's been playing a little at half forward too. Most of our mids are expected to be competent in the forward line and Hewett is no different.

McVeigh is probably the closest match currently on our list to Hewett. He isn't a bull-at-a-gate type like Parker (or Heeney - though Heeney didn't really show that in the U18s this year). He's not a see-ball, get ball, burrowing type like Mitchell. He's not a bullocking beast like Kennedy. He doesn't have the pace or agility of Jack, nor (at this stage) the gut running ability of Hanners. Mind you, McVeigh did have that at the same age. Endurance was a major strength from the start. So in that respect he's not quite where McVeigh was. Where they are similar is their ability to weave through traffic while always keeping an eye on what is happening ahead of them, and in making smart disposal decisions.

In other words, he's a good complement to our existing midfield mix. Indeed, I think what makes our midfield good is not so much the individuals within it, though most of them are fine players but any measure, but their differences and the way they complement each other so nicely.
    Sounds to me from what I've read about Hewitt and also the limited footage I've seen of him is that he has some of what a lot of our midfield brigade lacks, outside class! We have plenty of grunt and some talented players in there but I do believe we lack in the classdepartment of some of top liners like pendlebury, o'meara and even what heppell has shown so far. We need some of that polish and finishing skills to compliment our grunt and I really hope he can bring that in the future like the players I've mentioned above! Does any of the the ressies watchers think he has what it takes and agree???

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Sounds to me from what I've read about Hewitt and also the limited footage I've seen of him is that he has some of what a lot of our midfield brigade lacks, outside class! We have plenty of grunt and some talented players in there but I do believe we lack in the classdepartment of some of top liners like pendlebury, o'meara and even what heppell has shown so far. We need some of that polish and finishing skills to compliment our grunt and I really hope he can bring that in the future like the players I've mentioned above! Does any of the the ressies watchers think he has what it takes and agree???
    I couldn't believe how lucky we were when he was still available at pick 32. Has a 29 Dec Birthday, still only 18, and almost certainly would be a 1st round pick this year. I've been on the bandwagon from day 1. As Liz says, there's not one thing that stands out, but will develop into a big bodied midfielder, who is hard at the contest and is really good in tight quarters. He can weave his way through traffic and seems to be able to kick equally well on both sides, a la Sam Mitchell. Should be a permanent member of our midfield in 2 years. How do we fit them all in? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I couldn't believe how lucky we were when he was still available at pick 32. Has a 29 Dec Birthday, still only 18, and almost certainly would be a 1st round pick this year. I've been on the bandwagon from day 1. As Liz says, there's not one thing that stands out, but will develop into a big bodied midfielder, who is hard at the contest and is really good in tight quarters. He can weave his way through traffic and seems to be able to kick equally well on both sides, a la Sam Mitchell. Should be a permanent member of our midfield in 2 years. How do we fit them all in? I don't know.
    Can't wait to see him in action, and it's a nice problem to have! :-D

agree re Hewett

plays like a Macca or a Sam Mitchell are very good comparisons re Hewett's skill set and they way he moves

ie not the quickest in leg speed but he does have the time and space with the ball

Diesel, Pendles, Macca, SamMitchell they all have that time and space where defensive players simply hang off them and more importantly attacking players are always prepared to move into space as they know a player with vision will hit their mark
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Thanks Ludwig. So with AJ, Jones and Aliir also in the wings we don't really need to stress about replacing our backline oldies. What about training Derickx up for the back line!!!
    I don't agree with Ludwig. Lockyer is gone in my opinion. He hasn't given any reason to keep him. He gets caught out too often and seems to stargaze. Too many times he allows his opponent to get loose. Dick might be quick and when in the mids has obviously produced some very good footy. But against Brisbane he proved he is still a double edged sword. Some very good work mixed with some of the worst disposal. He also missed a few tackles he should have made and was too soft. I think he is gone too.

Hewett is the stand out. A real star in the making. I think he will be far better than Macca and he is pretty good. He has the hallmark of another player who was famous at North Adelaide, Barry Robran. While not as tall as Robran he has the same poise and beautiful balance.

Biggs; I don't know where you get the idea Biggs just blazes the ball into the 50 without looking Liz? I think his delivery is one of the best parts of his game. One of his passes into the 50 was a sensational 50 metre pass to a forward and we kicked a goal from it. The problem with our forwards in the Brisbane game is they were too static and we had no focal point. I think Biggs is a cut above most players in the NEAFL and in our side only Hewett, Tom Mitchell & BJ are his match.

Big Toby didn't lead up much this week and it is painfully obvious that Pat Mitchell is still learning the game. I thought some of the toppies were good, number 50 Mitch Wright was lively & Bottin-Noonan (53) plays it hard.

Xav Richards was very good as was Tommy Walsh. The backs seem to get forgotten a lot in discussion but these two controlled the game when it was in their area and the Lions tall forwards and resting rucks didn't have a great impact on the game.

LRT is definitely past it and I think he can't wait for the season to finish.

ROK was ok but not spectacular.

Big Sammy Naismith is a very good ruckman and controlled the rucks. He also gets the ball around the ground. For a guy his size he is very mobile, much like Shaun Rehn.

Robbo got a bit of it but seemed to be a bit sloppier than usual.

Marsh flashed in and out of the play and seemed to be playing on the HBF.

BJ was lively but some of his decision making was a bit flawed. There was a situation where he was on the run, clear and should have kept running and kicked a goal but decided to give it off and the kick wasn't to the forwards advantage. He still needs to learn when to go and when not to, he is still young it will come.

Tom Mitchell was good when he was out there but just a bit rusty. He will be better for the run.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    THanks Liz.

What 's the outlook for Hewett? Is he a midfielder which means he'll be competing against Heeney, Lloyd and Mitchell, or is he being groomed for some other role?

Hewett is a mid. But I would think they are grooming him to replace Macca. He is highly talented and composed. His delivery by hand or foot is sweet. That is the only word for it SWEET! Moves so beautifully it seems he is gliding over the ground. Remember, this kid is only just 18. Heeney & Mills will be drafted, whether by us or someone else but if us then then Heeney would be an inside/outside player who is versatile. George Hewett is probably more an inside player who controls play. Think Mark Murphy, daniel Kerr, Simon Black, Shaun Higgins.

Why do we have so many mids on our list? The reason is that mids are at most risk of injury and good mids are hard to find. If a club can draft talented mids and mould them then that club wins premierships. For the forwards to be effective you have to have a great midfield. For backs to be competitive you needs a great defensive mid group. Although our main injuries recently have been to forwards & backs if you look at other clubs most have mids out injured.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Can't wait to see him in action, and it's a nice problem to have! :-D
    He doesn't even look as though he is trying and the next thing you know he has racked up 30 disposals. It all seems so effortless. That is the sign of a really good player. you know the wonderful thing? He is just going to get better. This kid could be bigger than Ablett.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    He doesn't even look as though he is trying and the next thing you know he has racked up 30 disposals. It all seems so effortless. That is the sign of a really good player. you know the wonderful thing? He is just going to get better. This kid could be bigger than Ablett.
    That's a big, early call Wolfie. Hope you're right.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    That's a big, early call Wolfie. Hope you're right.
    A b$&@dy big call. Ablett may be the best player ever to have played the game.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast