Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 18: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    That's a big, early call Wolfie. Hope you're right.
    Ernie the kid has such wonderful balance. He is a footballer all the way, not an athlete but is athletic if you know what I mean. He has already built up since coming here. If you have a look at his draft pics and then look at him today he is so much different. His draft pics are of a skinny kid and now he is a really well built young man. He is a natural footballer, all talent, skill and the ability to put it all into action. He is also lucky as his North Adelaide coach Josh Francou is at the Swans now as Development Manager. Francou thinks George is going to be pretty special and is helping to mentor him. I'd trust Josh's judgement if I hadn't seen the kid play but I have seen him and he is very special. He will slot in very nicely one day.

Goes up to 11
    How about he aims to be better than Luke Ablett first and then upwards from there???

I liked Tommy Walsh's game on Friday too from what I saw. He moved well and took some good intercept marks down back. Dunno if he's off at the end of this year but I still think he'd have some value next year if retained.

And LRT phoned it in on Friday - he can see the end.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Why do we have so many mids on our list? The reason is that mids are at most risk of injury and good mids are hard to find. If a club can draft talented mids and mould them then that club wins premierships. For the forwards to be effective you have to have a great midfield. For backs to be competitive you needs a great defensive mid group. Although our main injuries recently have been to forwards & backs if you look at other clubs most have mids out injured.
    The reason is that the game is played now with a ruck, 3 forwards, 2 backs and the rest midfielders.

He doesn't even look as though he is trying and the next thing you know he has racked up 30 disposals. It all seems so effortless. That is the sign of a really good player. you know the wonderful thing? He is just going to get better. This kid could be bigger than Ablett.
    And I thought that I might be a bit effusive in praise of Hewett. But good to see everyone is really positive about him.

Probably you and Liz are right on Lockyer. I haven't been impressed either, but thought he improved enough from last year to feel that given enough time could make the grade. He definitely seems to be getting more involved in general play than last year and his closing speed is good. He was a highly rated junior and expected to go somewhere in the 20s in the draft, not to say that bears on how well he is doing now, only that others have seen something promising in the kid.

The one that worries me is Xav. You were downright effervescent about him last year, but I haven't seen any improvement this year, and if anything, seems to have gone backwards. You said he played well on Friday, but watching the replay on the NT Thunder game left me wondering. He was soundly beaten by a slower and shorter opponent and his disposal was dreadful at times.

luv your enthusiasm wolfie

the kid is good but time will tell re comparisons to Jnr ......Gary Jnr is the best player i have ever seen week in week out.....year n year out..........

but i would stick my head out and say he could easily match McVeighs football achievement and ability.......which is still a very very big call !!!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Hewett is the stand out. A real star in the making. I think he will be far better than Macca and he is pretty good. He has the hallmark of another player who was famous at North Adelaide, Barry Robran. While not as tall as Robran he has the same poise and beautiful balance.
    As long he brings more Barry Robran than Grenville Dietrich, and doesn't suffer the same career-ending injury on the SCG as Robran, sounds good.

Veteran Site Admin
    Despite my positive comments on Hewett, I think there is some serious hyperbole in this thread about a young, still skinny kid who thus far has played some handy games at NEAFL level. Suggestions that he shapes as being better than two time Swans B&F and premiership captain McVeigh are hugely premature. As for GAJ...

Of course, he "might" become a good player. He "might" even become a very good player. But projecting that far forward for a kid yet to play a senior game verges on the ridiculous, IMHO. Just let the kid play!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Despite my positive comments on Hewett, I think there is some serious hyperbole in this thread about a young, still skinny kid who thus far has played some handy games at NEAFL level. Suggestions that he shapes as being better than two time Swans B&F and premiership captain McVeigh are hugely premature. As for GAJ...

Of course, he "might" become a good player. He "might" even become a very good player. But projecting that far forward for a kid yet to play a senior game verges on the ridiculous, IMHO. Just let the kid play!
    I wanted to ask Liz, Ludwig, MCS, Ugg and some other experienced regular reserves spectators the following questions.

My view is that Lockyear won?t be resigned. Is that how you see it?

There are some other interesting list management dilemmas.

Walsh V Richards - I believe that the club will keep one of these players as a back-up key defender. Who will survive? I don?t see both surviving.

Marsh V Robinson ? I see that both of those guys are competing for the one senior spot. They will both be 3rd year players next year. Who has the greatest long term potential?

Dick V Biggs ? I believe they are competing for the same spot as a back-up small defender. Who will survive?

I think Naismith will get the 3rd year Rookie spot.

I think Shaw, LRT and ROK will retire.

Bird and Malceski may seek more financial opportunity at other clubs.

I think Mitchell is more likely to stay if Bird leaves.

I haven't seen so much of the reserves this year, but I do agree (hard to believe matt80 that we agree) that lockyer is looking unlikely to avoid the chop next year.

I have little doubt naismith will be kept on next year in some description, be it as a rookie or if space allows, on the main list. He has a lot of potential, and im sure the club see one of him or nankevis (or both) as the hopeful successor to pyke.

I think walsh has looked ok the last couple of games he has played, but I think he will probably go as well.

I would put robinson in front of marsh as well.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I would put robinson in front of marsh as well.
    I don't think there is any question that Robinson is currently a more accomplished and consistent player than Marsh. But it comes down to how much scope for improvement each player has, and how likely they are to get close to their ceiling. Robinson does most things well but doesn't have any stand out features. He's a good, hard worker and I think would probably be able to do OK at senior level. Marsh is quicker and taller and thus has the potential to be more damaging. It comes down to whether he has the nous and/or work ethic to use his physical attributes to better advantage than he currently has been able to do.

Dick is similarly taller and quicker - and rawer - than Robinson.

We've had an unusually good run with late national draft and rookie picks in the last few years, particularly 2012, and wouldn't expect that to continue. The more usual case is that we bring in a handful of rookies and perhaps one makes it.

When I think about delisting a player, I consider what the chances are that we will get someone better from late in the draft. I haven't been a big fan of Walsh nor do I think that Richards has looked all that promising, but given our lack of depth in the KPD area, I wouldn't be so quick to drop them, although I would be more inclined to keep Walsh another year if given the choice.

My defence of Lockyer has also been along these lines. I know possessions are not everything, but he is averaging 25 this year, as well as 4 tackles, so he is looking okay on the the stat sheet at least. Would I drop him for another rookie pick? If I didn't think he could progress any further, sure; otherwise I would give him another year.

I would be quicker to drop a midfielder as we have so much depth in that area. The path is looking near impossible for Marsh at this this point, and perhaps Robinson as well, although he does deserve another year on merit.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We've had an unusually good run with late national draft and rookie picks in the last few years, particularly 2012, and wouldn't expect that to continue. The more usual case is that we bring in a handful of rookies and perhaps one makes it.

When I think about delisting a player, I consider what the chances are that we will get someone better from late in the draft. I haven't been a big fan of Walsh nor do I think that Richards has looked all that promising, but given our lack of depth in the KPD area, I wouldn't be so quick to drop them, although I would be more inclined to keep Walsh another year if given the choice.

My defence of Lockyer has also been along these lines. I know possessions are not everything, but he is averaging 25 this year, as well as 4 tackles, so he is looking okay on the the stat sheet at least. Would I drop him for another rookie pick? If I didn't think he could progress any further, sure; otherwise I would give him another year.

I would be quicker to drop a midfielder as we have so much depth in that area. The path is looking near impossible for Marsh at this this point, and perhaps Robinson as well, although he does deserve another year on merit.

Is it a minumum three players that we need to take at the NAB November Draft?

Do we only need to take two players if we upgrade a rookie with a late pick?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast