Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans V Bombers. Match Day Thread.

Jetta VERY proppy.

We did enough.

As I said last week...Tippett is another Bradshaw for us...just a bit more expensive....

On the Rookie List
    Another thing, I thought the umpires were generous too us tonight. Maybe the first time I have ever thought that

Tippett's still averaging two and half goals a game and saw out the game tonight. That's a good result.

Pretty satisfying win. In the 3rd and the last quarters the team lifted just when it looked like the Bombers might run over the top.

Amazing how McGlynn and Parker, the junior members of our midfield, have become the leading lights in the past month. Malceski did everything right - he actually ran the kick-in out of the 50 just at the end. Can't remember the last time I saw that. Good work by Grundy on Carliisle. Goodes was amazing - haven't the opposition teams worked he can't kick on his right? Rampe just doesn't stop. Rohan just gets a bit better in each game.

Pyke topped dream team points.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Pyke topped dream team points.
    and smashed ryder and bellchambers in the ruck stats.Can't believe some are unhappy with his efforts.

Benny Mac 3 votes

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Another thing, I thought the umpires were generous too us tonight. Maybe the first time I have ever thought that
    I thought we also got the beter of the umps tonight, which is the first time this year, very unlike last week. Just my summary..1. When its tough and the game is on the line don't you just love luke parker 2. Benny Mcglynn has taken his game to another level. 3. Come on Horse.. Jake Lyold is the real deal, he no sub. 4. I am still surprised as to how Towers gets a game every week. 5 Tippett is definetly not 100% fit.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A frustrating game for much of the time, possibly due to the conditions: dropped ball, turnovers, Essendon getting clearances more easily, and not forgetting the high wind swirling around the SCG. At the same time a very intense game through the middle with lots of pressure from both sides, forcing errors from both.

I know we use the zoning off approach a lot in defence, but I sometimes wish we'd mark opposition players more closely, as other teams do to us.

I agree with others on Ben McGlynn - Mr Perpetual Motion, and an obvious inspiration to the rest of the team. He makes an outstanding crumbing forward, and I feel much happier when I see him bobbing up in scrimmages. Also for some reason he seems to be awarded a lot of frees for high contact ...

Membrey made a good start, Towers looks as if he belongs out there, Parker was impressive as was Kennedy. The defenders worked hard and were generally well co-ordinated. I think Tippett may be rusty rather than carrying an injury. The mids will just have to get used to working under such intense pressure, it aint gonna drop off any time soon. I can't wait for Hannebery to get back.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

We did what we needed to do tonight. Newbies did well. Membrey provided lots of leads, Towers pressure and ball movement.

Overall, the team looked tired, particularly in the second half. Might be the six day turnaround, but I suspect the pre-finals training has begun. Standby for some tired bodies over the next few weeks.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I agree
    Me three ! Not just his workrate , but his fearless approach as well.And 80 % d/e is pretty darn good.

I thought Nick 'Please Don't Go' Malceski was great tonight. Grundy was also very solid. Others have mentioned the obvious ones.

I too felt Tippett was a bit off this game, but not sure why. I was also disappointed with Towers' commitment to the contest at times. He also had a few opportunities to do something special, but didn't; I think you have to have one or the other. It was a good first up performance by Membrey.

Veteran Site Admin
    That was definitely a bit of a grind but happy to come away with the win. Started well but didn't convert as we should have, especially in the second quarter (notwithstanding we were kicking to the more difficult end of the ground to score at). Efforts definitely seemed to drop off in the third quarter and we were lucky that Essendon and the conditions conspired to limit their scoring. Dug in deep in the final quarter and they were never truly challenged once that quarter got underway.

Surprised to see someone criticising Pyke earlier in the thread. I thought he was one of the few who really held their own in the third quarter when the team as a whole seemed to be struggling. Also thought Jetta kept the hard work up when others slipped, and Benny was, well, Benny for pretty much the whole game.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast