Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complaint to Foxtel re Fat Eddie

Complaint to Foxtel re Fat Eddie

I was watching the Freo v St. kilda game on the weekend, and the blatant bias of Eddie and his commentary not just his un subtle digs at Sydney's recruitment of Buddy, but his blatant barracking for St. Kilda got me wanting to cancel my Foxtel subscription.

I've had enough of him. I want him off foxtel. I'm not paying to watch a sports channel that has a commentator that disenfranchises a large portion of the national audience. I sent the attached email to Foxtel.

Subject: Biased commentary must stop
    To the Manager Fox Footy Channel

I have to say, I have had enough of the Victorian centric bias of Mr Eddie McGuire in both his role as a commentator during games and as a host of other shows broadcast by Fox Footy Channel. I believe Fox Footy Channel need to act and have Mr McGuire removed from both commentating and hosting of any shows due to his total disrespect for a large portion of the national TV audience.

Commentating during the recent Fremantle v St Kilda game was disgusting in its biased support in favour of St Kilda. Its not what commentating is about. Such commentating in favour of a Victorian based team is not the first time this has occurred, West Coast v Carlton was another such occasion, and will mostly occur when Eddie McGuire is commentating. In all fairness Sandy Roberts attempted to keep some semblance of balance during the St Kilda V Fremantle game on Saturday. Fox Footy Channel needs to remember that this game was more than likely being viewed by more Fremantle supporters than St Kilda supporters (Fremantle do have more members than St Kilda) and the blatant bias by commentators cannot be good for both growing the game outside of Victoria, or Foxtels ability to attract new customers outside of Victoria.

The Sunday night program on Fox Footy Channel, also featuring Mr McGuire and Mr Brereton is nothing more than a direct and indirect promotion and support of the Victorian based clubs, at the expense of Interstate Clubs. (?let?s get the game back to Victoria, where it belongs? was the subject of one of Eddies recent rants whilst hosting)

It is time for Fox Footy Channel in its role as a national broadcaster of the national game, to remember that there are 8 teams outside of Victoria and a further 4 Victorian teams that are regularly playing games in other States, Territories and Countries in an effort to expand the game. That?s 12 teams out of an 18 team competition that are attempting to reach out and engage markets outside of Victoria. Fox Footy Channel has an obligation to consider its national audience, and not just promote itself to the Victorian market. I am sure that the population these 12 teams are attempting to engage with is a significantly greater audience than just the Victorian population that the remaining 6 teams represent and therefore by allowing such biased commentary Fox Footy Channel is disenfranchising a huge portion of a market that they are trying to attract as customers. If I was a Fremantle supporter, I would have switched off Saturdays game and vowed to cancel my Foxtel subscription after such an openly biased commentary performance on the weekend.

At the same time, the AFL in attempting to promote the game both nationally and internationally should have an interest in the balanced promotion of the game. It is therefore time for one of its key national broadcasters to ensure that its on air commentators and presenters promote the game nationally. The first step in doing this would be to censure Mr McGuire and remind him that both the AFL and its NATIONAL broadcaster expects the game to be promoted evenly, and no team is promoted at the expense of another.

Regards
    Current Foxtel subscriber (but not for long)

That's a great letter Doc and you inspired me to do the same. Maybe enough complaints and they may take some action! We can only hope anyway.

Veterans List
    Has Eddie ever commentated one of our games? I only recall Anthony Hudson, Dwayne Russell and Matt Campbell commentating when it is a Foxtel game. It's bad enough when he is the host and we have to see/hear him before, during and after the game. I wouldn't even like to try and imagine what it would be like if he was the commentator. And it isn't even just because of the rubbish that comes out of his mouth...he is just NOT a very good commentator.

Veteran Site Admin
    Love the letter, Doctor J.

There was that pathetic puff of indignation when the AFL announced it would recognise VFL premierships back to the Hundred-Year War or some such - on a scale of relevance to AFL today I'd rank as a minus 10 but it got some Victorian clubs up in arms. They haven't accepted that the VFL is dead and buried.

Thankfully the AFL is run by a commission and a CEO, and not a committee of the club presidents, and actually has a national vision for the game.

It might also be worth sending a note to the Swans. I'm sure they'd love to have a file of complaints against parochial commentators that the AFL can put in front of Channel Seven and Foxtel at the next rights negotiations.

It was really bad. He's an appalling caller without the bias.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Doc, what email address do we write to? We need an address for Eddie too!

Very good Doctor J. It should be sent to the AFL as well to remind them of what's happening with their appointed National Broadcaster and how it is turning people away.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Doc, what email address do we write to? We need an address for Eddie too!
    I was told to send it to [email protected]. Eddie would only laugh at it, so not sure it would be of much use.

The more people who send a complaint to Foxtel, the more likely they are to act on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie_X View Post
    Very good Doctor J. It should be sent to the AFL as well to remind them of what's happening with their appointed National Broadcaster and how it is turning people away.
    The AFL does not publish any contact emails on its website. I have printed out the email and posted it to the AFL, marked to the attention of Gillon McLachlan.

I'll let people know if I get a response from any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    I was told to send it to [email protected]. Eddie would only laugh at it, so not sure it would be of much use.

The more people who send a complaint to Foxtel, the more likely they are to act on it.

The AFL does not publish any contact emails on its website. I have printed out the email and posted it to the AFL, marked to the attention of Gillon McLachlan.

I'll let people know if I get a response from any of them.
    Mine e-mail just sent, thanks Doctor

Just read your fantastic letter Doctor J. Hope management notices and something is said or done.

Simply put they should not have people commentating who have a vested interest [read current position] at a club that includes presidents' ,current coaches ,assistants etc ... it simply is a conflict of interest.We have all heard Mcguire''s constant vitriol towards the swans and totally agree with Doctor J's comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast