Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 19: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves

Opti-pessi-misti
    "Live" game now showing on Youtube - just started 2nd quarter

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Does this mean that he won THE RECRUIT (not likely as there is a special draft for the winner isn't there?), or was he voted off but picked up by the GCS anyway?
    More than likely just lives in Gold Coast's zone and they've given him a run.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

The Highlights;

NEAFL TV Round 19 - YouTube

The Game;

Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns - YouTube

I was a bit disappointed with some of Brandon Jack's skill errors. Dropped marks, blind overhead handballing when there were players who could have received within eyeshot, kicks that either dropped short or were too high and created a contested ball. Even though he got plenty of ball if he is to step up to AFL level his concentration has to improve.

Towers was very good I thought. He still needs to plunk the marks, he drops them too easy and at AFL level he won't get away with that.

Membrey is a very good player. He didn't kick as many goals as I expected but the delivery was, there is only one word for it, sewage.

Mitchell played ok but I think he will be better for another run.

Naismith played well in the ruck and controlled the ruck. A pity his mids were not on the end of some of those nice hit outs that ended up with Gold Coast.

ROK was ok but not as dominant as in previous games.

LRT is finished there is no way back. Retirement is imminent. He looked lost at times in this match.

Hewett is composed and was the best mid we had. Looking forward to his first Seniors game, he is cherry ripe.

Zac Jones was pretty good for a first up. Look forward to seeing this bloke get more Seniors time.

Xav Richards was very good, hardly ever beaten. Runs the ball out of defence so well. He has this side step that is amazing, you think he is going to side step one way and then he reverses it and catches the opponent totally off guard. I don't think there are too many worries about him not developing.

Tommy Walsh was bloody brilliant. He seems to have gained a few yards and is really hard at the contest. Seems to have got some mongrel about him playing in defence. His tackling is ferocious and his timing is very good. I liked his delivery & marking. there wasn't a lot to dislike about his game, definitely one of the top three.

Lockyer, wasted the ball too often. Knows how to get it but then? too many kickes that just didn't hit their mark.

Dick, hardly sighted this week very quiet. did a couple of good things but much quieter.

Marsh, did some really impressive work coming off the back flank. Some hard, strong body work. Liked his delivery too.

Toby Nankervis was pretty good as usual. The ball didn't sit too well for him at times but he battled on. Between him and Big Sammy the ruck situation is pretty good.

Of the top ups Mills & Hiscox & Mitch Wright were all ok.

This was a terrible game. There wasn't much to recommend it at all. Scrappy, terrible skills, bad umpiring (allowed the ball to stay in packs far too long), terrible goal kicking. it didn't help that the game started in thick fog. you could hardly see the Suns players in the first quarter. After half time the fog disappeared and the dew settled. I don't think games at 10am on a winter Saturday at Blacktown are even worth the effort. The NEAFL are IDIOTS for even thinking this can work. The main game of this double header was Redland v Sydney Uni which seems silly seeing the curtain raiser was being played between two AFL Reserves sides. The upshot is the games should not start until midday or 12.30pm.

Thanks Wolfie, very interesting report.

Thanks for the write-up Wolfie. It was a better game from Xav, which is pleasing, as I was getting a bit worried about his progress.

A 40 possession game from Mills might stir the pot in Melbourne. eddie-mcguire_thumb.jpg

It was the 2nd lacklustre performance from Abe Davis. Maybe he's Danking (Draft Tanking).

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thanks for the write-up Wolfie. It was a better game from Xav, which is pleasing, as I was getting a bit worried about his progress.

A 40 possession game from Mills might stir the pot in Melbourne. eddie-mcguire_thumb.jpg

It was the 2nd lacklustre performance from Abe Davis. Maybe he's Danking (Draft Tanking).
    Mills was very good but needs to tidy up his delivery. He was very shaky on the short kick quite a few times. I like the fact he can get his own ball and his in close stuff is really good. A bit like Hewett but not as polished. Abe looked out of sorts and didn't compete on several occasions. Just seemed happy to let play slide by. He also did not impact the contest when he should on many occasions. He has a big body he should have imposed himself. I will give him the doubt and presume he is either ill or is carrying an injury.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Probably just nerves from Mills...his skills in the national champs were elite
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks Wolfie, your report was a relief to me. I watched the game for three quarters, not sure why, and found it hard to believe that all the players (except the toppies) were pushing for a game in the AFL seniors . Thankfully the standard of play picked up a bit in the 3rd quarter and from the scores it looks like the Swans were on top in the last. I agree with your comments re Walsh and Zac Jones. No one else stood out to me much but watching on a small screen dependent on numbers-on-backs to pick out the not-easily-recognisable players is probably the reason for that. NS was tapping down well but often straight to an opposition player. I was trying to pick out Mills to follow but couldn't keep track of him.

Was I being over-critical !!! When you are used to watching the seniors all the time the difference in intensity and skill levels understandably stands out. It must also make a difference to have toppies in the side. Paul Kelly speaking about his son's game mentioned that it is challenging for a young player to come into a side not knowing the other players or the game plan and structures. That said, I was expecting a bit more of some of the senior team hopefuls.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Thanks Wolfie, your report was a relief to me. I watched the game for three quarters, not sure why, and found it hard to believe that all the players (except the toppies) were pushing for a game in the AFL seniors . Thankfully the standard of play picked up a bit in the 3rd quarter and from the scores it looks like the Swans were on top in the last. I agree with your comments re Walsh and Zac Jones. No one else stood out to me much but watching on a small screen dependent on numbers-on-backs to pick out the not-easily-recognisable players is probably the reason for that. NS was tapping down well but often straight to an opposition player. I was trying to pick out Mills to follow but couldn't keep track of him.

Was I being over-critical !!! When you are used to watching the seniors all the time the difference in intensity and skill levels understandably stands out. It must also make a difference to have toppies in the side. Paul Kelly speaking about his son's game mentioned that it is challenging for a young player to come into a side not knowing the other players or the game plan and structures. That said, I was expecting a bit more of some of the senior team hopefuls.
    This was a really bad game. I have noticed when we have had these 10am starts that we don't play so well for at least a half. One of the worst games of the season really. The fog didn't help in the first quarter & a half and the dew was still making the turf very slippery up until half time according to the commentary. Not that 'Brewery' Forbes is a good judge but Blair Dwyer seems a bit more sensible and he walked out onto the ground at the breaks. We didn't stick to the set ups and out delivery was terrible to the forward half for most of the game. The delivery out of defence was on occasion not good too. But our main concern was the scrappy mid work, a lot of fumbling, some down to the conditions, exept in the second half the conditions were perfect for footy. There were a lot of mistakes under pressure but it was the mistakes when players were under no pressure that was worrying. Lockyer ran through the centre of the ground the last link man in a series of passes and HB at least three times in the third and coughed it up every time. His delivery terrible, he had plenty of ball but wasted it mostly.

Just a really horrible game that even the coaches will want to forget. But they can't and will have the tape out this week. I doubt they will play this badly again. Some people say 'they are a bottom side they brought us down to their level'. I believe that is crap. A good side destroys an incompetent one if they play well! Simple!

Just watched 3 qtrs and must say that Mitchell was still the best player on the ground. We have to get him in the seniors somehow, I dont know how many touches he got but I would think 30 plus, most quality. It's a hard call but out of Mitchell and Lloyd in the seniors I think Mitchell still shades him. He has the ability to dominate games in patches more so than Lloyd at this stage but I love them both! As others have said Jones and Walsh were excellent down back in a scrappy game. Towers showed some class and great speed at times as did Marsh. Finally I must say I kept a close eye on Mills out there in the #53 and wow, this boy is just under 2 years away from senior football and to be honest I think he played a better game than the highly rated Hewitt! Just how good he can be is the question with natural development and a bigger build but wow, I think we have a beauty there! A lot to like from a lot of our youngsters even from a lacklustre game but plenty of nice cameos!

Veteran Site Admin
    It's interesting that they've been playing Marsh off the half back flank in recent weeks. I think he played there for WA at U18 level but the Swans had him in mind as a midfielder when he arrived. He doesn't seem to have the natural nous to know where to run to be a high production midfielder but he's looked pretty good running out of defence once switched back there. With his genuine speed, and with Malceski and Shaw's years at the club coming to and end (whether this year or not), we will be looking for some good half back flankers in the not too distant future so he might yet carve out a career in that role.

That does mean that he and Dick are possibly competing for a single spot on next year's list.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's interesting that they've been playing Marsh off the half back flank in recent weeks. I think he played there for WA at U18 level but the Swans had him in mind as a midfielder when he arrived. He doesn't seem to have the natural nous to know where to run to be a high production midfielder but he's looked pretty good running out of defence once switched back there. With his genuine speed, and with Malceski and Shaw's years at the club coming to and end (whether this year or not), we will be looking for some good half back flankers in the not too distant future so he might yet carve out a career in that role.

That does mean that he and Dick are possibly competing for a single spot on next year's list.
    Dick out and Marsh in for me !

I still see alot of upside for Marsh..........he does HBF easy and is very young at 20yrs of age to judge his transition to midfield...........Kennedy type project for the midfield maybe still is not out of the question

For me Marsh still reminds me of a Hodge style HBF who plays a bit in the midfield also with their penetrating long kick and great overhead mark...........but Swampy has not found that killer instinct yet when it comes to attacking the game.........This is not an easy challenge either because he has such quality midfielders still around him in ressies as he did last year also who simply accumulate one possession after the other

ROK
    Mitchell
    Hewett
    Jones
    Robinson

etc etc
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast