Thread: Swans game plan vs the competition

Swans game plan vs the competition

Although Port have a very quick and skill full team we have all observed how difficult to play a game style of an extra defender behind the ball then flood forward in numbers against another equally if not better 22 players. The ball movement looks very exciting by Port but it is a game style that is very difficult to sustain because a team like the Swans simply lets you move the ball around the flanks and we zone off into the back 50m arc and middle with numbers then counter attack direct and fast

Now if Port had a Buddy Franklin I am sure they would play our style too in large parts of the game and create more one on ones for a key target

So for me Port and North play a similar style of running it through hands a feet with large numbers and high possessions.........a litle like Brisbane and Geelong in their hay days ! ...............The Cats this year and 2013 are not disimilar as they have a lot of small agile players on the flanks

Hawks love to move the ball around to uncontested possessions and set up their deadly accurate kickers

Sydney love to keep the ball in tight, dominate the clearance via excessive tackles then break as quick as possible for a direct one on one with Buddy, Goodes or Tip etc

Freeo love to apply as much pressure forward like the Pies and pin your down and have their smalls take over and kick random indv goals

I think our style of footy of being equally comfortable controlling the game in our defensive arc and offensive arc is probably the most resilient finals footy along with the Hawks......but we are in a little trouble at the moment with Tip and Goodes having trouble shaking the defence and then their man flooding forward........This does not get shown up to much as most teams dont have deadly forward lines to destroy our backline receiving the fast hard ball in which not team wants..........but a team like the Hawks with so many forward options is our measure for sure and arguably i would say the Hawks have us covered still and if we dont beat a team like the Hawks in the clearances they will beat us by 6 goals in the finals

For me we need to fix up our hit outs to advantage and clearances otherwise the Hawks will make us pay as our defenders will not stop fast passes coming in to significant forwards
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 10th August 2014 at 08:15 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Although Port have a very quick and skill full team we have all observed how difficult to play a game style of an extra defender behind the ball then flood forward in numbers against another equally if not better 22 players. The ball movement looks very exciting by Port but it is a game style that is very difficult to sustain because a team like the Swans simply lets you move the ball around the flanks and we zone off into the back 50m arc and middle with numbers then counter attack direct and fast

Now if Port had a Buddy Franklin I am sure they would play our style too in large parts of the game and create more one on ones for a key target

So for me Port and North play a similar style of running it through hands a feet with large numbers and high possessions.........a litle like Brisbane and Geelong in their hay days ! ...............The Cats this year and 2013 are not disimilar as they have a lot of small agile players on the flanks

Hawks love to move the ball around to uncontested possessions and set up their deadly accurate kickers

Sydney love to keep the ball in tight, dominate the clearance via excessive tackles then break as quick as possible for a direct one on one with Buddy, Goodes or Tip etc

Freeo love to apply as much pressure forward like the Pies and pin your down and have their smalls take over and kick random indv goals

I think our style of footy of being equally comfortable controlling the game in our defensive arc and offensive arc is probably the most resilient finals footy along with the Hawks......but we are in a little trouble at the moment with Tip and Goodes having trouble shaking the defence and then their man flooding forward........This does not get shown up to much as most teams dont have deadly forward lines to destroy our backline receiving the fast hard ball in which not team wants..........but a team like the Hawks with so many forward options is our measure for sure and arguably i would say the Hawks have us covered still and if we dont beat a team like the Hawks in the clearances they will beat us by 6 goals in the finals
    For me we need to fix up our hit outs to advantage and clearances otherwise the Hawks will make us pay as our defenders will not stop fast passes coming in to significant forwards
    Two weeks ago the Hawks beat us by 10 points after both teams having had 29 shots on goal. We have lost the hit outs nearly every game this year but our superior midfield has been able to compensate, in the game two weeks ago Hawthorn soundly beat our midfield and that was were the game was lost.

Jewels it is a fair point

I just think wouldnt it be nice to win more clearances then we do now against the top teams in particular...........

Then we may have had another 5 shots on goal and hopefully 3 more goals and we would have beaten the Hawks which would have been more fun then a loss...........especially in a final

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I just think wouldnt it be nice to win more clearances then we do now against the top teams in particular...........
    The top teams are the top teams because they do win a greater percentage of the clearances than those lower down. It's not a coincidence that our numbers are down against the top teams!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

if we were another 5 clearances further down............ would we have lost by more againt the Hawks.......YES i believe so..........or would we have won ?..........no.......the worse our clearances against a very good team we will loose 8 times out of 10 !

Conversely....... I am backing with the quality of midfield we have we would have won against the Hawks with another 5 to 8 clearances won against the Hawks............we are just to good a team when we clear the ball.......... simple as that !

If I was the coach of other teams defending against Tip, Buddy, Reid and Goodes I would be saying we have to have to have to have to have to have to win the hitouts to advantage and clearances against Sydney if we want to have the best chance of moving towards a win........sure it would easy to say score MORE points then Sydney an you win but anyone cane say that ........we can say that about sydney...........but is is just a comment in the air !

equally i do believe it stands to reason that if we win clearances against the best teams we are well on the way to win !!!!

I 150% realise that we have beaten most teams with inferior clearances this season but why not be flexible and be able to win the clearances and give yourself more the best opportunity to win !!!!
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 11th August 2014 at 09:04 PM.