Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 21 V St Kilda.

Changes for Rnd 21 V St Kilda.

Ins. Smith.
    Outs. Laidler.

There could be a couple of unexpected "General Soreness" outs i'm guessing.

would be a good time to rest someone. but longmire doesnt really like resting people. smith for laids

I know they won't, and probably shouldn't...

But just for a discussion on who people think could benefit from a rest, and who would be good to give game time to in case needed later....

OUT : Jetta, Jack, Franklin, Goodes, Kennedy

IN : Towers, Mitchell, Membrey, Nankervis, OKeefe
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I would love to see ROK get a farewell game.

Veteran Site Admin
    As noted by others, Longmire won't do anything fancy (and probably shouldn't) but, with consideration to the ruck plan B thread also, I'd think about resting Goodes for a week (depending on how his body is feeling), getting Sam to play a little more in the forward line (ie replacing Goodes), and bringing in N or N (probably N).

Not sure of the point of "resting" Franklin unless his knee would benefit from it. The team is still learning how to play with him, and he and Tippo need all the time they can get playing together ahead of finals.

Jetta and Jack - not for the sake of resting them, especially not Jetta. I think he needs to keep playing.

JPK, no way would I rest him.

Can't see Mitchell being fit enough, and only sentiment would get ROK a last game at the SCG. Don't really see the point, especially if he plans to play on next year (somewhere else - regardless of Longmire's comments during the week, I can't see any chance of the Swans holding onto him next year or him wanting to stay. Not when the salary cap may force out Eski.)

Liz, rather than N perhaps they should play Na?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    only sentiment would get ROK a last game at the SCG. Don't really see the point, especially if he plans to play on next year
    He's a 286 game, 2 time premiership player, Norm Smith medalist, All Australian....

He's served our club with absolute distinction, and will be remembered as a club great.

IMO, thats a resume that's earned farewell home game (Assuming he's leaving or retiring at years end, which would seem a certainty).
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    and bringing in N or N (probably N).

Agree with the rest of the post as well.

The video of Reserves' game can be found on the NEAFL site, and there is a link on the reserves' thread.

I think Tom Mitchell only played 3 qtrs. in the reserves, so maybe they are slowly building him up to fitness. Perhaps he'll get a go v. WB.
    Zak Jones was impressive, and would be one to look at for another senior shot. This kid has a super future ahead of him.
    Dean Towers seemed to have profited from the seniors experience and was hard at it, and now looks like a senior player waiting his turn in reserves.
    Biggs was an emergency last week, so he's a possibility as well.

I'm in favour of resting Goodes and giving one of the N's a go in the ruck. I'd keep Pyke in and give him the freedom to play around the ground to hopefully get him back to his contested marking level that we saw last year, without the burden of tiring out from being in the bulk of the ruck contests.

In the unlikely event that Carton beat Geelong on Friday night, we probably will have to try to get a percentage builder in this game, so may not have the luxury of too many changes. But if it does happen, a top 2 finish is a virtual lock, even if we lose to Richmond in round 23, although I doubt we would want to take losing form into the finals.

I would like us to rest Jetts, Jack and Goodes as they all look sore and/or are playing sore.

I don't think Horse would rest Kennedy or Franklin. Tippett did not look as good as the week before but the conditions did not suit.

Like the other comments I am not sure Horse would be in favour of resting any players but this is a once a season opportunity to give some sore players a week off and get ready for a red hot go in September.

Opti-pessi-misti
    It was when watching ROK and LRT in the ressies that I changed my mind about Goodesy and Rhyce playing on next year. It is so sad to see them (ROK and LRT) plugging away there knowing how great they have been and how important to the success of the club in the past.. ROK is playing ok but is no stand out while LRT is done.

So now I am hoping that Goodesy and Rhyce can stay on the park and contribute to our finals successes this year and so can choose to go out on a high.

As to resting Goodesy for the next game it would depend on whether he is the type of player or is at a stage where he has got to keep on playing in order to keep on going! I would be inclined to rest him but as has been said already the forward line needs more game time working together.

I would love to see ROK get one more game in the red and white seniors but which game could you do it? It is a bit hard to give him a farewell game if he hasn't announced his retirement or stated that he is off to another club! Paul Chapman is still getting games with Essendon but there is not really any obvious 'niche' to fit ROK into in our team as it is structured at the moment.

With the finals looming, it seems far more important to give priority to players outside the best 22 that have a more realistic shot at playing finals than ROK, e.g., Mitchell, Laidler, Jones, Biggs and Towers.

Horse is just soooooo sentimental.

It was good to see Goodesy breaking the lines in a few passages of play on Saturday. I thought he looked better than he has for a while for most of the game, although others said he looked sore in the last qtr which I must have missed. I agree it Would be nice to see ROK get a farewell game at the SCG

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast