Thread: The Ruck: Finals Plan B

The Ruck: Finals Plan B

With Tom Derickx out for the season, do we have a Plan B in case Pyke gets injured?

Just suppose Pyke couldn't play in the GF. What would we do? Would we try Naismith or Nanka to debut in the biggest game of the year? Or would we go with a ruck combo of Tippett and Reid? If you've seen the ressies lately, you would know that LRT is not a viable option.

Given that N & N are our 2 backup ruckmen atm, should we play one of them in this week's match v. St. Kilda, just to see how they go? IIRC Naismith was well beaten by Billy Longer is a reserves' game last year, but didn't embarrass himself. They both have played well lately and I would find it hard to choose who would go better in the seniors.

I don't think Pyke needs a rest; if anything he probably needs more game time to work himself into better form. But would it be worth giving him a week off just to try an alternative, just in case....................?

Luke Parker rucks ok!

Not a bad idea. If only the club could work out which was which.

I guess Plan B is Reid, with cameos from Tippett or anyone tallish and in the area of a stoppage. And Parker.

Stewie Dew was asked about this in the interview with FiveAA on the Swans AudioBoo collection.

It sounds as though he thinks neither Naismith nor Nanko are quite ready yet, but Naismith may be just ahead.
    When asked if a great tap-ruckman was the big weakness in the Swans team, he said (WTTEO) that it keeps the midfield sharp if they don't get used to too much great delivery.

Its quite an interesting interview about a few other things, particularly his future coaching plans.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Stewie Dew was asked about this in the interview with FiveAA on the Swans AudioBoo collection.

It sounds as though he thinks neither Naismith nor Nanko are quite ready yet, but Naismith may be just ahead.
    When asked if a great tap-ruckman was the big weakness in the Swans team, he said (WTTEO) that it keeps the midfield sharp if they don't get used to too much great delivery.

Its quite an interesting interview about a few other things, particularly his future coaching plans.
    Thanks for the Audioboo reference undy. I just listened to the Dew interview and it is very interesting on a range of matters. Pyke might be a bit offended by the discussion on Swans' ruck situation although I liked the point Dew made that Mumford himself was not a great tap ruckman (but excellent around the ground). Also sounds as if Swans might not keep Dew for too much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Also sounds as if Swans might not keep Dew for too much longer.
    So many rumours this time of year. Heard Ling might be in line to take his place if Dew goes.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    So many rumours this time of year. Heard Ling might be in line to take his place if Dew goes.
    Ling doesn't sound like he's convinced he wants to be a coach. If and when he decides, he'll have lots of clubs chasing him.

There's a good chance the Swans already have a more than capable assistant coach waiting in the wings. Crouchy has done a sensational job with the reserves team, getting them to play consistent, disciplined and Swans-like football pretty much every week, regardless of the merry-go-round of ins and outs. I thought Henry did a grand job when he was coach but I think Crouch has probably surpassed him.

Yep, there seem to be options in house.... Then of course there's Captain Kirk.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'd think that we would probably not risk a youngster coming in if it was the scenario outlined above - ie for the GF. We'd probably sacrifice Reid into the ruck for most of the game, and hope our midfield could break even on the clearances in there.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."