Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Cunningham - a Rising Star chance?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar

Harry Cunningham - a Rising Star chance?

Read the following on The Roar and it really got me thinking...

Harry Cunningham is the only rising star that is playing a significant role in games that matter
    While Marcus Bontempelli is the overwhelming favourite to win the rising star and James Aish, Lewis Taylor, Luke Dunstan, Jake Stringer and Jon Patton are all being discussed among the possibles for this award, one player that is being criminally underrated is Cunningham.

Cunningham has played every match for Sydney this year and has been a solid performer in every game. On top he has had two or three pivotal games with his three goals against Port Adelaide on Saturday as big a difference maker as any in that game. That Cunningham is having key contributions in a game between two top four contenders should be being considered far more impressive than games that those in lowly rated teams have had.

For that reason it would be controversial but you could argue that based on importance Cunningham, Zac Merrett and Luke McDonald all should be considered in the top five rising stars for this year as opposed to the bookies favourites.

Whilst I don't think he will win it, and by the end of his career he may not reach the heights of some of the names above...but I don't think many, if any of them could have played the role he has for us this year to such a high level. We have the best depth in the competition and that is a fact...for Harry to play every game is a pretty remarkable effort when you consider the guys we've had running around in the NEAFL!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Not Melbourne enough - no chance
    -

Harry SHOULD be a huge chance, but it'd be hard to argue with Lewis Taylor in particular for mine.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I don't even know how the thing is rated, but role players rarely win these things. Flashy players who disappear for long periods seem to get tehm
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Not a chance. He's been solid but not a big enough profile to win. Hasn't been as eye-catching as some of the others either.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Taylor has had a brilliant season and i was hoping Sydney would use our first pick on him last year...but to be fair i highly, highly doubt he would have played a senior game for us this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Not a chance. He's been solid but not a big enough profile to win. Hasn't been as eye-catching as some of the others either.
    Yeh agreed...i think with his speed and skill he is definitely capable of the flashy though, i'm really looking forward to him being released a bit more from his run-with role in the next few seasons.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    I don't even know how the thing is rated, but role players rarely win these things. Flashy players who disappear for long periods seem to get tehm
    Like Hannebery?

I'm happy for Harry to stay under the radar. We know.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Actually the best performed, and with his pace one of the more talented. Not a high draft pick and not from Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post

For that reason it would be controversial but you could argue that based on importance Cunningham, Zac Merrett and Luke McDonald all should be considered in the top five rising stars for this year as opposed to the bookies favourites.

I would have these 3 at the top of my list with McDonald to win. He's played a key part of the NM defence all year and never looked out of place, and only missed one game. I would definitely have Harry right up there based on performance. He's shut down players like Stanton and the Hill brothers, and has made a big contribution offensively at critical times. Harry looks so confident when he has the ball. I wouldn't put a limit on how high he can go.

Bontempelli certainly looks to be a player of the future, and has done some very special things in his first year, but I don't think he's had the consistent performances of the others.

Would be brilliant if it happened (can't see it as well deserved as it would be).

The dream would be;

Harry = Rising Star
    Buddy = Coleman
    Joshie = Brownlow
    5+ Swans = All Australian
    Swans = Premiership
    Any Swan = Norm Smith

Now that would be a season worth celebrating, and oh the joy of seeing Eddy explode!
    Mind you I'll be happy to just win the premiership!

6 of the last 7 winners have come from teams from outside Melbourne.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast