Thread: Is Heeney really worth pick No. 4?

Is Heeney really worth pick No. 4?

Phantom draft form guide - August - sydneyswans.com.au

When Heeney was first touted as a pick for the Swans, he was mentioned top 30. Then Eddie started using him for his own nefarious ends, which has seen him come in to top 20, then top 10, then for a period he was the best midfielder in the draft and then even the No.1 pick that those "evil" swans were going to get for nothing.

The above article has him at No.4.

Can those in the know explain if this is a real reflection of his talent, or just a reflection of the talk that has surrounded the Academy debate?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

From what I've seen of him which is limited but have read a lot about him on here and other sites and he sounds like the real deal! Has dominated most games he's played in at U-18s and will no doubt get better as his frame gets bigger! I think he's gonna be a beauty. But from all reports Mills may be even better! I was just tweeting paige cardonia who is somewhat of an expert in the drafts and she was saying that right now he'd be the #1 pick in an open draft next year and is better than Heeney. She says he is the best bottom age player she's seen in many years! We are gonna have a pretty impressive midfield for many years to come hopefully!

Goes up to 11
    From the very limited stuff I've seen, Mills' class shine through like few young fellas do, but Heeney really seems to be worth the hype. To me Heeney didn't seem to be the most polished U18 player ever, but he attacks the play like a maniac and normally gets his hands on the ball. The combination of sheer will and some finesse (thanks Swans Academy) then seems to get the ball to where it's intended. Probably in the Jude/Luke Parker mould?

Nat Fyfe???
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Mills and Heeney are not in the Fyfe category.........there is only one Nat Fyfe !

Heeney is very much your Luke Parker with a few more yards in pace...................Parker in my opinion was classier at the same age and i am still 150% amazed Parker was not a top 15 pick........it would be fascinating to compare all the mids from that draft !

Mills is inside outside like a Hannebery but a lot smoother then Dan...........Mills for me has that rare quality of being able to lift the speed of the game for very prolonged periods
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Other than being solidly built and blonde (well at least, Parks was at that age) I don't think they are overly similar in style. True, Heeney looks to be good overhead but yet to find out if he's as good as Parker. Parker is more of a see ball, get ball type, whereas Heeney looks to be a bit more of a predator type - he'll hover around a contest, swoop at a ground ball if he thinks he can take possession, but otherwise look to dispossess. Of course, his game may change somewhat as he spends more time in the AFL system but I think he'll be slightly more of an outside player than Parker.

Mills, on the other hand, seems to have more of an instinct to get into contests head first and attack the ball at all costs. He's still not quite another Jude / Parker type but he looks to be slightly more of a "first dibs" type than Heeney, instinctively.