Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 22 v Bulldogs

We see their Fyfe and raise them a Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    We see their Fyfe and raise them a Joey.
    And a mighty mouse!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Wonder how that would work positionally...that's a lot of defenders to play in one team!

Would love to see any of Gaz/Mal/Ramps push up onto the wings and into the midfield.

Off topic but i still can't believe the doggies passed up the opportunity to even rookie list Rampe...must be kicking themselves now!
    + 1

This team set up would give you the following defenders:

Rampe
    Smith
    Richards
    Shaw
    Grundy
    Laidler
    Malceski
    Rohan
    Biggs

That is nine defenders. Which one of these defenders will spend more time in the midfield?

With the inclusions of the speedy Shaw and Smith for the slower Kennedy and Bird, we will field our quickest team of the year. It will be interesting to see the impact of the electric pace!

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Just saw that Fyfe out for two weeks for Freo. I don't like the sound of that and I'm sure Ross wouldn't be too concerned as it will have him coming in fresh for the finals and potentially us in week 1!
    Darn! I was hoping he'd get 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    + 1

This team set up would give you the following defenders:

Rampe
    Smith
    Richards
    Shaw
    Grundy
    Laidler
    Malceski
    Rohan
    Biggs

That is nine defenders. Which one of these defenders will spend more time in the midfield?

With the inclusions of the speedy Shaw and Smith for the slower Kennedy and Bird, we will field our quickest team of the year. It will be interesting to see the impact of the electric pace!
    I thought Laidler was great on the weekend, but I think that if Smith comes back in, Laidler should make way for another genuine mid to retain the balance. Smith could play mid, but not after a couple of weeks off; Malceski is too important as a distributor/set up man across HB, and Rohan is proving his worth coming off the HB line, rather than playing a wing.

So that means Richards, Grundy and Rampe as tall backs, Smith on small forward, Shaw, Rohan and Biggs for run, Malceski as setter-up/spare man in defence depending on set-up.

Then I would love to see Mitchell have a run in the guts if he's fit. That gives us McVeigh, Jack, Hannebery, Parker, and Mitchell rotating through the engine room, with Cunningham, Lloyd and Jetta outside. Reid doing the Reid thing, Towers playing pressure forward, Goodes doing the Goodes thing, and Bud and Tip kicking a dozen between them. And Mike Pyke spending 100% TOG being a champion.

What a team. And Bird, Angry Man and JPK to come back for the big show.

Poor old Laidler is the loser in this, I see, which seems a bit unfair, as I reckon he has been rock solid whenever he's played.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought a common cause of PCL injuries was a knock to the knee. That's why they used to be seen as a ruckman's injury and the centre bounce arrangement was modified to reduce the incidence of knees clashing together at speed. When Goodes first injured his PCL, way back in 2004, it was at a centre bounce as a ruckman.
    PCLs are injured when force is applied to the front of the shin with the knee bent - ie it pushes the tibia (shin) backwards relative to the femur (thigh bone). Common example if this is car accidents where the dashboard pushes back against the shin. In AFL if a player crashes into another players' shin from the front when their knee is bent & foot fixed, or if the thigh bone rolls/slides forward on top of the tibia with the knee a bit bent (eg landing from a ruck contest +/- the other ruckman crashing into it) would do it.

The knee hyperextension tends to result in ACL injuries, as the femur (thigh bone) rolls backwards relative to the tibia (top of the shin) - ie the tibia is actually moving forwards relative to the femur (the ACLs primary role is to resist this).

A knock to the side of the knee with the foot fixed (eg during a tackle) will to an ACL (& possibly MCL).

I'm assuming Shaw and Smith come for JPK and Bird. If we're going to play Tom Mitchell this year, then this game is it. We have JPK, Bird and McGlynn out, so we can really use an inside mid. Even if he's not our first choice for the finals, he's probably the one midfielder that can come in if need be and we wouldn't be losing much, if anything. I would drop Towers to make room as I think Mitchell would hold up better under finals pressure than Towers would. After that, Zak Jones seems the type not to be intimidated by the big moment.

If we can get our best list healthy for the finals, I figure Laidler, Mitchell, Biggs, Jones and BJ will miss out, but its not a bad emergency list.

Totally agree Ludwig.

If Mitchell doesn't play this week, given the players out, I assume it's because Horse and co don't think he's match fit.

Surely this would be a good opportunity to give him a game in the seniors if he's fit enough.

Towers is obviously a different type of player and he's playing a ' pressure applier' type role...

But he doesn't do it for me, he looks flakey when the heat is on...Nothing personal, but I hope he's not in our finals line up.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

If Mitchell doesn't come in this week then you couldn't blame him for being a little disoriented with the coaches. Bird being out is pretty much the same position that he would be perfect for in the team so if he can't get in now then how will he going forward? If he's not already thinking about moving on for more opportunity then this may do it. From all reports he played a full game in the ressies last weekend and played well so I can't believe that match fitness could be a viable excuse!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    If Mitchell doesn't come in this week then you couldn't blame him for being a little disoriented with the coaches. Bird being out is pretty much the same position that he would be perfect for in the team so if he can't get in now then how will he going forward? If he's not already thinking about moving on for more opportunity then this may do it. From all reports he played a full game in the ressies last weekend and played well so I can't believe that match fitness could be a viable excuse!
    I want Mitchell back in as well. We are two inside midfielders down who are not quick. Pace can not be the excuse for not selecting Mitchell. I'm sure he is running around in the 2nds to get those touches so the match fitness would not be huge issue.

If we don't select an inside mid to replace Bird and Kennedy I can only assume that it's happening for the following reasons:

- Longmire believes he has some defenders who can play well in the midfield. Maybe Biggs, Rohan, Rampe or Smith will spend significant time in the midfield. They can all be useful defensive midfielders.

- He may want Goodes or Sam Reid to spend significant time in the midfield. He may view their big tall bodies as vital against a Fremantle who have a collection of tall midfielders. I for one have always wanted to see how Sam Reid played against Nat Fyfe. Reid would deny Fyfe his weapon of out marking smaller opponents.

- Maybe Longmire wanted to see how a team of extremely quick players worked together. The slowest midfielder would be Parker in this set up.

Draft Scout
    Out : Kennedy, Bird, Reid, Pyke, Buddy, Richards, Grundy, Malceski, Jack, McVeigh, Rampe, Goodes
    In: Hewitt, Mitchell, Smith, Shaw, Walsh, Naismith, Jones, Jack, Membrey, Richards, Nankervis, ROK

Keep it at resting a dozen. Game time still needed for Hanners, Smith, Shaw, Tippett. So no rest for them

P.S. Still beat Doggies by 10 goals with the ressies, a few toppies may be needed to help Heeney, Mills and Davis carry the ressies
    Staying ahead of the game...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    Out : Kennedy, Bird, Reid, Pyke, Buddy, Richards, Grundy, Malceski, Jack, McVeigh, Rampe, Goodes
    In: Hewitt, Mitchell, Smith, Shaw, Walsh, Naismith, Jones, Jack, Membrey, Richards, Nankervis, ROK

Keep it at resting a dozen. Game time still needed for Hanners, Smith, Shaw, Tippett. So no rest for them

P.S. Still beat Doggies by 10 goals with the ressies, a few toppies may be needed to help Heeney, Mills and Davis carry the ressies
    I think you may be underestimating the dogs.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast