Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jake Lloyd Rising Star Nomination

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    I started following the Swans because of Jake. Not that I know him just know a friend of his and back in 2012 he said "watch this kid he is special". So being a league nut (still am) my education of the finer points of the game have come from following Jakes progress. The thing I think he does extremely well is in the pack he can get the ball and make an effective disposal. And isn't that worth currency? At his best his contact with the ball seems to barely a second. I think for that reason he is not the "star" type of player.

I was excited for Harry Cunningham to get his nomination. He has that "star" quality that is entertaining. Well done to both.
    Because he can dispose of the ball properly and quickly, he is going to be star player. Joey and Diesel never have the ball in their hands for long, and look how they turned out.

I looked back on my first Jake Lloyd post back on 15 Dec. 2012:

Jake Lloyd

I have the feeling that Jake Lloyd may be the steal of the rookie draft. He sounds like just the kind of player that makes it big in the AFL. He won the TAC Coaches best player award, beating out Nathan Hrovat. He is by all accounts a very dedicated hard worker with elite endurance. Was over 15 in the beep test, which is in the very top class of players. Apparently also has very good hands, helped by his basketball background.

Yet for some reason, wasn't even mentioned by any pundit as even a possibility in the ND. May be another coup by Team Beatson.
    I never heard of him before, but after doing some checking on his background, I couldn't understand why he wasn't rated. I've been of the bandwagon ever since. I even suggested a few months ago that he might even turn out better than Tom Mitchell. Of course, most disagreed, but probably a few minds are changing with the passage of time.

I was always impressed by his ability to read to play. He never looked like a raw 19 y.o. ; It's probably that he is not physically imposing that makes some think he's not much of player, but he's proving otherwise.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I never heard of him before, but after doing some checking on his background, I couldn't understand why he wasn't rated. I've been of the bandwagon ever since. I even suggested a few months ago that he might even turn out better than Tom Mitchell. Of course, most disagreed, but probably a few minds are changing with the passage of time.

I was always impressed by his ability to read to play. He never looked like a raw 19 y.o. ; It's probably that he is not physically imposing that makes some think he's not much of player, but he's proving otherwise.
    Playing in 4 senior premierships from the age of 15 onwards shouldn't be understated either...especially in quite a physical league. No wonder he has always been hard at it.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I was with you Ludwig on Lloyd potentially turning out better than Mitchell. This view started the Mitchell V Lloyd thread which put me in hot water with some factions on Red and White.

If Mitchell is not selected for the seniors this week there is a serious problem, which is deeper than injuries, pace and match fitness!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    If Mitchell is not selected for the seniors this week there is a serious problem, which is deeper than injuries, pace and match fitness!
    Not sure how you reach that conclusion as there is no compelling evidence that he is match fit at the moment. Not match fit enough to play seniors.

While I think Mitchell V Lloyd is an interesting question, what I am excited about is Mitchell + Lloyd; a young top-shelf extractor and a young top-shelf user is a great sign for our future. It is awesome list management to have young talent, let alone young talent that compliments each other. And it?s not like Mitchell and Lloyd are the only young guns?.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Yeh I don't think it's a relevant debate...apples and oranges!

You could compare a Mitchell and a Bird or a Lloyd with a Cunningham for instance.

But as The_Jam said...lets all just be excited about the young players on our list.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not sure how you reach that conclusion as there is no compelling evidence that he is match fit at the moment. Not match fit enough to play seniors.
    Mitchell has had some nagging injuries this year but none have kept him out for more than 4 weeks. He has had some impressive reserve games in between the short layoffs. You can?t gain the amount of possessions that he does without moving constantly. He would have maintained decent match fitness levels to keep doing this.

He has had two games back from his recent spell. Liz, you also gave him your BOG in the recent Reserves game and you were impressed with his work rate.

The Swans are playing at Docklands and not Subiaco. He will be able to run the game out if asked.

I can?t see any obvious reasons why Mitchell should not be selected when we are two inside midfielders down. There has to be more to this Mitchell story that is not appearing on the Swans website.

Rubbish. Clearly his fitness is the determining factor

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Mitchell has had some nagging injuries this year but none have kept him out for more than 4 weeks. He has had some impressive reserve games in between the short layoffs. You can?t gain the amount of possessions that he does without moving constantly. He would have maintained decent match fitness levels to keep doing this.

He has had two games back from his recent spell. Liz, you also gave him your BOG in the recent Reserves game and you were impressed with his work rate.

The Swans are playing at Docklands and not Subiaco. He will be able to run the game out if asked.

I can?t see any obvious reasons why Mitchell should not be selected when we are two inside midfielders down. There has to be more to this Mitchell story that is not appearing on the Swans website.
    How many NEAFL games have you watched?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    How many NEAFL games have you watched?
    I'm going of your judgement Liz. If Liz, Ugg or Ludwig give him their reserves BOG then that?s good enough for me. You guys watch the reserves every week and I respect your calls.

You can?t be the reserves BOG against the Giants (best young players in the land) without having a good fitness base. Imagine the energy that Mitchell would have had to find to propel the team from a half time deficit of 30 points to a victory.

He has been in the best players on the Reserves match reports for most of the games he plays.

Does Mitchell look like he lacks intensity, match fitness or two way running at reserves level? If this is the case then it?s incredible that he still gets so many stats.

Lloyd has had the advantage of being an elite athletic and the training he did under his father and others. He made the comment that doing pre season training was a lightening of his usual load. Its just not the training but the type of training done. Some players have bad luck and others create their own good injury free luck (I bet JK does it and I know ROC does it). Jake missed only one game last year and that was due to a precaution after being knocked out the week before. It is a tough tough game.

My prediction in the Mitchell v Lloyd career was Mitchell will be the "star" and Lloyd will play more games. Time will tell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast