View Poll Results: Will ROK get a farewell game?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

4 6.45%
  • Only if injuries/suspensions hit

12 19.35%
  • No

38 61.29%
  • ROK is hot

11 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes v Tigers (aka will ROK get a farewell game?)

ROK surely won't get a game unless he announces during the week he is going to retire. Then they might think about it.

We all have admired the wonderful role ROK has played for the club, but I doubt we will be giving out a freebie to him next week if its likely he will go running around somewhere else next year!

We are not going to go helter skelter resting players like Matt80 suggests, but I would not be surprised to see a couple of our guys given a chance to rest up. Maybe K Jack, given his ongoing problems this year might get a week to rest up. Will be interesting to see what we do at the selection table.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

its gonna be a tough selection this week. biggs absolutely deserves another game after negating griffen and mitchell did himself no harm in retaining his spot (personally, i've never seen a player who extracts the ball from the bottom of packs and fires out perfect handpasses as well as mitchell). towers, despite a decent game, is probably the most likely to be dropped and there was a surplus of backman in the team, so maybe shaw (seeing as he had a very quiet game). kennedy and mcglynn have to come back in and longmire loves reid, so someone will have to be hard done by

Amazed that people are suggesting to leave Reid out again!

ROK can stay in the reserves. Good service but move on with dignity like the great LRT did.

In: McGlynn, Kennedy, Reid
    Out: Laidler, Towers, Biggs

- - - Updated - - -

Shaw would have to want a decent game against the Tigers to keep his place. Otherwise would easily swap him with any one of Laidler, Towers or Biggs.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    If LRT didn't get a farewell game against St Kilda then I can't see ROK getting one against the Tigers.

For mine Reid has been pretty much in the Jessie White camp all year, well last year too, kinda drop-able with the twin towers firing at the moment. Next year may be a different thing if Goodes doesn't scrub up or maybe should be groomed to replace Richards eventually.

The notion of someone getting a guernsey based on anything but the game plan horrifies me. It would be obscene to rob one of the deserving youngsters of a shot against the Tigers because of 'sentiment'.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    If any of the above players that I've suggested to rest get injured in the Tigers game, you would be kicking yourself.

The ins are quite handy and the team would not lose much. Sam Reid needs a chance to play a key forward post to built his confidence. He can't do that with Tippett and Buddy in the team. You can't let anything happen to Pyke. Mglynn need to build some match fitness in the midfield. Its easier to do that with Mcveigh and Jack out if the team.
    I highly recommend you take the time to watch John Longmire's after match press conference, if you'd like to get some facts from the Horse's mouth (pun intended) about resting players and the reasons for Mitchell missing games this season.

Suspended by the MRP
    I'm just proposing some different ideas. That's what Red and White is about. We can't let anything happen to Pyke. Maybe you can give him general soreness. If he does something then you have to get by in the finals on two ruckman who are yet to play a senior game. It it worth the risk against a Tigers team who will be playing at manic intensity?

I proposed to rest Buddy to give Sam Reid a chance to play a key post and clunk some marks. It also freshens up Buddy's knees. I did not propose to rest Tippett because his fitness and form are building and the game time would be valuable.

The other ones were players who had played most games and it may be good to freshen them up.

Remember Micky O in 2003 or that Blood Bath at Simmons stadium last year. Don't we want to minimise that risk?

Buddy has been on a reduced mid week training all year i believe

so instead of resting him from a game leading into the finals he has been reducing his workload during the week
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Long Term Injury List
    [QUOTE=Captain;652385] Good service but move on with dignity like the great LRT did.
    - - - Updated - - -

ROK was a guest announcer on ABC radio for the GWS v Pies game on Saturday. When all the Pies players were on the bench injured the other announcers suggested ROK should go out and give them a hand. He commented along the lines of "I'd play anywhere I could get a game at the moment. I've got my boots in the car" I was hoping he was kidding but I'm not so sure.

Won't get a run in the final game.
    But I'd love to see him play.
    But it won't happen.
    But it would be good if it did

Culture and all that.

In fact doesn't the 'bloods spirit' dictate somewhere that this should take place?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

It's a difficult situation with ROK.

He hasn't said he wants to retire. In fact it seems he wants to go on next year if there is a club that wants him.

And the Swans don't want to pre empt with a farewell game, when there is still a very slight chance, if we got an unprecedented raft of injuries,

that he may get a senior game in the finals.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast