View Poll Results: Will ROK get a farewell game?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

4 6.45%
  • Only if injuries/suspensions hit

12 19.35%
  • No

38 61.29%
  • ROK is hot

11 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes v Tigers (aka will ROK get a farewell game?)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I'm just proposing some different ideas. That's what Red and White is about. We can't let anything happen to Pyke. Maybe you can give him general soreness. If he does something then you have to get by in the finals on two ruckman who are yet to play a senior game. It it worth the risk against a Tigers team who will be playing at manic intensity?

I proposed to rest Buddy to give Sam Reid a chance to play a key post and clunk some marks. It also freshens up Buddy's knees. I did not propose to rest Tippett because his fitness and form are building and the game time would be valuable.

The other ones were players who had played most games and it may be good to freshen them up.

Remember Micky O in 2003 or that Blood Bath at Simmons stadium last year. Don't we want to minimise that risk?
    Buddy had the weekend off three weeks ago! Surely another run at ANZ ( a ground he hasn't played much footy at) would be far more advantageous than a week off.

Jude Bolton said on sunday morning footy show that Longmire absolutely hates the idea of resting players. So no, we will treat Richmond as a finals preparation game. The list will be selected of the best 22 at the club, in anticipation that, baring injuries, the same 22 will line up at ANZ the week after.

The way it should be.

I voted yes because I want him to play a last game.

My head says no if we want to win the GF

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I was listening to the radio the other day on the way to the SCG, they were inferring that ROK was staying in condition on the off chance he'd get the miracle call up for the GF. Their outcome was that if you're picking between Towers and ROK as the 22nd player in the GF, they'd go for ROK.

I think Longmire would still pick Towers, so cant see ROK playing in the seniors again.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I was listening to the radio the other day on the way to the SCG, they were inferring that ROK was staying in condition on the off chance he'd get the miracle call up for the GF. Their outcome was that if you're picking between Towers and ROK as the 22nd player in the GF, they'd go for ROK.

I think Longmire would still pick Towers, so cant see ROK playing in the seniors again.
    I think ROKs papers have been marked at the Swans. I only hope that Longmire and ROK can turn up to the 2012 Grand Final reunions and be at ease with each other. It will probably take time.

I heard a rumour that the Swans tried to get ROK to take an early retirement after the 2013 season. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think ROKs papers have been marked at the Swans. I only hope that Longmire and ROK can turn up to the 2012 Grand Final reunions and be at ease with each other. It will probably take time.

I heard a rumour that the Swans tried to get ROK to take an early retirement after the 2013 season. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?
    I think ROK is a realist and an "A" Class clubman. From what I gather he has played to his best in the 2's and not likely to drop his performance. He has aspirations to coach so I expect that he respects the decision to play him in the 2's. At the end of 2013 most people thought he had another good year in him.

If anyone watched the 60 seconds with John Longmire on the Swans Website - one question that stuck with me was - "What's the hardest thing about being a coach", to which he responded rather seriously considering the context - "Ending players careers.". My thoughts went straight to ROK.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Maybe a bit of a knee-jerk call because of his form in the 2s on the weekend but does anyone think another club would give ROK a game as a third-forward who could pinch hit in the midfield?

He was a gun forward before he was moved into the midfield and no doubt his hands are still vice-like and his kicking still decent. He would be invaluable in forward 50 stoppages but the obvious question mark would be on the defensive pressure he could apply.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Where's the 'no... he's too exhausted from his 30 day challenge' option in the poll?
    Maybe he be the half time entertainment. :-D

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Maybe a bit of a knee-jerk call because of his form in the 2s on the weekend but does anyone think another club would give ROK a game as a third-forward who could pinch hit in the midfield?

He was a gun forward before he was moved into the midfield and no doubt his hands are still vice-like and his kicking still decent. He would be invaluable in forward 50 stoppages but the obvious question mark would be on the defensive pressure he could apply.
    Although ROK kicked six goals as a Forward in the recent NEAFL game, I think he can only survive in a Josh Kennedy role where he spends 90% of his time in and under. His lack of pace will leave a team exposed if he plays with space in the forward line. AFL defenders will spoil him on the lead and ran away from him. He can out do a smaller defender body on body if he gets the opportunity.

He would only earn a one year contract at another club and the money would be small. He would have to weigh up relocation costs and the fact that his wife has a career in Sydney. He will be 34 next season so the chances appear minimal. There may be a club who want him to be a mentor, play 10 games in 2015 and provide some physical protection and a contest when the team plays against monster midfielders like Watson, Kennedy and Dangerfield.

If Essendon have to take some ASADA suspensions then he may be able to help them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post

You've nailed the problem with that idea on the head when you talk about defensive pressure. Teams have already exploited Goodesy on this basis, and would do the same to ROK - we can just about carry Goodesy in that sense, but we can't also carry ROK (especially when you consider that Tippett is no prime mover defensively either). Not in modern footy.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I voted ROK is Hot, because of tradition
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast