Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryan O'Keefe - Absolute legend of the Swans

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I hope to see him back at the Swans in the future as I think he will give it another year next year probably at Melbourne or even GWS ? But he may find it harder at GWS as their younger players should really start to blossom next year, so it may be Melbourne as they need all the help they can get.
    Melbourne need all the help they can get, but I feel that Daniel Cross is that kind of player which Melbourne already have and as valuable as Ryano is I don't think they necessarily need another 30+ year old inside mid in their current stage but Roos will probably take him anyways.
    Using Tapatalk

It would be nice to see ROK find a home to have one or two more years in the AFL.

However, given his non-participation at senior level this year, did the Swans make a terrible mistake in not trading him at the end of last year? Could we have picked up a better draft pick?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    It would be nice to see ROK find a home to have one or two more years in the AFL.

However, given his non-participation at senior level this year, did the Swans make a terrible mistake in not trading him at the end of last year? Could we have picked up a better draft pick?
    I don't think he had many trade suitors at the end of last year. He was 32.

I would imagine that Sydney Uni would make him a coaching / playing offer to help their NEAFL side.

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post

I don't think anyone, including everyone on this board, thought ROK wasn't in our best 22 at the start of the year. If he'd been traded and played 23 senior games for another club (and there are plenty of other clubs where this would have happened) averaging 20+ possessions a game everyone would have been baying for blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I don't think anyone, including everyone on this board, thought ROK wasn't in our best 22 at the start of the year. If he'd been traded and played 23 senior games for another club (and there are plenty of other clubs where this would have happened) averaging 20+ possessions a game everyone would have been baying for blood.
    +1. Looking back at his 2013 efforts and the first 4 rounds of this year it became obvious that it would be difficult for him to maintain his current role. He was probably too 1-dimensional in his decisions and style of play and the opposition took advantage of it. If you look at his finals efforts last year you would have noticed that it wasn't on par with 2012. His performance against better teams was worse, which means to me that they figured him out. Longmire is no longer about just playing finals but winning premierships and if there is no role for ROK in such team so be it.

Warming the Bench
    Absolute champion and great of the club. Always will be.

I wrote this piece a couple of weeks ago http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/peerl...o-ryan-okeefe/

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    +1. Looking back at his 2013 efforts and the first 4 rounds of this year it became obvious that it would be difficult for him to maintain his current role. He was probably too 1-dimensional in his decisions and style of play and the opposition took advantage of it. If you look at his finals efforts last year you would have noticed that it wasn't on par with 2012. His performance against better teams was worse, which means to me that they figured him out. Longmire is no longer about just playing finals but winning premierships and if there is no role for ROK in such team so be it.
    Come on Z, you dont think that after 250 games other clubs might have worked him out years before. How do plan against a player who had 20+ tackles in a GF? He was good enough to overcome any tactics other clubs threw at him. Pace never seemed to be a problem but he may have dropped a yard in pace this year that put him out of the top 22.

ROK is my son's (Ryan) favourite player.

I was very impressed with his interview and how well he accepted his role in the team this year.

A swans legend.

Senior Player
    Vale , ROK !! For all you have done for Our Cause , THANK YOU , from the bottom of my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    ROK is my son's (Ryan) favourite player.

I was very impressed with his interview and how well he accepted his role in the team this year.

A swans legend.
    I too was very impressed with his interviews - the first one with Tanya Paolucci from Swans Media in which you can see Ryan had been very emotional; and the second in the press conference with John Longmire in which Ryan is more composed but equally humble and generous in his comments.

Ryan's manner of saying goodbye, including the fact that he will play in the finals with the Reserves, is a tribute to the great Swans man he is.

Viva ROK. It wasn't until he reinvented himself, with the help of Roosy no doubt, into an inside midfielder that his legacy was well and truly established. Great player, club legend, always welcome at the club no matter whether he plays on elsewhere next year or not.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Suspended by the MRP
    Paul Roos has said the recruitment of ROK is unlikely. He said that it's 12 months too late. They would have looked at him at the end of 2013. I suppose he probably had a good contract at the Swans in 2014 and thought that he would be playing more senior games.

I find myself fishing that someone will throw him a lifeline. Let's hope half the Dons team get suspended and he gets a game at Essondon in 2015.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast