Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryan O'Keefe - Absolute legend of the Swans

Ryan O'Keefe - Absolute legend of the Swans

Sorry to see our ROK go. Wonder where he will turn up. You'd think he has something in the bag to announce it this way.

Thank you Ryan for an exemplary career in red and white.

Interesting interview on Swans TV.

SwansTV: Ryan reflects on his time at the Swans - sydneyswans.com.au

One of my all time favourites. From watching him play at Port Melbourne and wondering why Rocket wouldn't play him to a Norm Smith medal.

Wonderful footballer and often underrated. I remember when he nearly went to Hawthorn that some were saying he wouldn't be a big loss. How wrong they were.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Enormous.

Two for me: the final against the Saints in 05 that sent us through to the flag, when he ran 'em ragged.

And the entire 2012 final series. Everyone remembers the Norm Smith, but his numbers across the three finals were so good the GF was actually his worst game of the three - and that's saying something.

Oh, and I suspect he was one of the most competitive beasts (to use a Longmire-ism) that ever played.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Absolute class act. I hope to see him back coaching at the Swannies when his playing days are finally over.

Warming the Bench
    What a champion in every way, just another one of our legends at our great footy club. Had me in tears watching the video, I am sure he has another year in him, hope he gets picked up and can get to his 300 games, he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Absolute class act. I hope to see him back coaching at the Swannies when his playing days are finally over.
    Or be the clubs....'Food and Beverage administrator'
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'm so pleased we will get the chance to honour Ryan on Saturday. I too had a tear in my eye watching the video. He has made a huge contribution to the success and the culture of the Swans. Will never forget his fierce competitiveness, particularly through the 2012 finals campaign. Good luck to him in whatever comes next, be it playing elsewhere, coaching or some other footy role.

A few things throughout a magnificent career stand out for me.

Finals game against Hawthorn in 2001. Prior to doing his knee in that game he was so hard at it. I knew we had something.
    2005 Prelim final. Unbelievable that night.
    Of course his 2012 finals series. I agree with an earlier poster about the Grand Final being his worst game of all three finals.
    His running game and his marking ability. The first player that I remember to play as a half forward, yet gather possessions all over the ground. For a while there he had no matchup in the league.

And sorry ROK standouts can't all be good. Why couldn't you just once turned onto your right foot late into the last quarter of the 06 grand final. Turn right, instead of left, no smother by Chick, and no final WCE goal by that most hated of all WCE players Hunter (aka Rat Boy)

Will go down in Swans history as one of the greatest players of all time, who played in the most successful era the club has ever had.

Thanks for the memories ROK. A genuine champion of the game who luckily for us, played for Sydney.

2005 semi final. Booming kick by ROK from behind the centre square to full forward setting up Nick Davis's second goal. Would never have won the flag that year if it wasn't for that kick.

Emotional watching that video, he's such a champ. As good as Ryano is, I'm not sure how next year will turn out for him. I really hope he ends up back at the club in some capacity.
    Using Tapatalk

My admiration for him as a professional footballer went up one big notch when he won the Bob Skilton medal the year immediately after his request for a trade to Melbourne could not be negotiated by the Club.

A great champion and person at the club. Derserved his medal in 2012 as he really did play his heart out for the Swans.

It was a very emotional interview and his eyes looked red and teary.

I hope to see him back at the Swans in the future as I think he will give it another year next year probably at Melbourne or even GWS ? But he may find it harder at GWS as their younger players should really start to blossom next year, so it may be Melbourne as they need all the help they can get.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast