Thread: Preliminary Final 2: Sydney Swans Reserves v NT Thunder

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Preliminary Final 2: Sydney Swans Reserves v NT Thunder

Details:

NEAFL Preliminary Final 2
    Sydney Swans Reserves v NT Thunder
    Blacktown International Sports Park
    Sunday 7th September 12.45pm

Great scheduling as it allows all our emergencies and non-selected players to get a full game without being held in reserve for the seniors. Should be a good match too. Not sure if our listed player restrictions apply against NT, will have to check that.

Here are the rules for us:

16.2.1 WHEN PLAYING AGAINST NON AFL CLUB OPPOSITION (excluding NT Thunder):
    (a) For home and away matches:
    The 22 players in the squad shall comprise of a maximum 18 listed players (primary or rookie list) and a minimum of 4 top-up players.
    A maximum of fifteen (15) listed players can be on the playing field at any time
    (b) For finals matches:
    The 22 players in the squad shall comprise of a maximum 15 listed players (including two NSW rookie listed players) and a minimum of 7 top-up players.
    In finals there are no restrictions on the number of listed players on the field at one time.
    16.3.2 WHEN PLAYING AGAINST AFL OPPOSITION CLUBS and NT Thunder:
    There are no restrictions in place when an AFL Club Reserves team plays NT Thunder in Competition Matches.
    16.3.3 FINALS ELIGIBILITY
    (a) Any player must have played a minimum of three (3) Competition home and away Matches for the club to qualify to play in the Competition finals series
    (b) In the event a listed player has played five (5) matches or more in the AFL, he must have played at least nine (9) Competition home and away Matches to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
    (c) Notwithstanding anything with these Rules, should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match, that player will be eligible to play in the Competition finals
    series Match with the AFL Club Reserves team that same weekend, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season,
    The important points to pick out are that there are will be no restrictions against NT, and if we make it to the GF, no restrictions against UWS but will be if Aspley upsets them. And if I read it correctly point 16.3.3 (c) would indicate Jeremy Laidler is eligible to play if he's not selected (does that include being an emergency? one would think not) for the seniors despite him only playing one NEAFL game this year. It's a strange rule though, I'm not sure what circumstances would lead to a player being selected for the seniors and also for the reserves in the same weekend.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

It's a strange rule though, I'm not sure what circumstances would lead to a player being selected for the seniors and also for the reserves in the same weekend.
    The point of the rule is not about a player playing two games - it is about whether there is a senior AFL game that they could be chosen for. If the Swans were not playing AFL finals, rule b) prevails. But because we are, the club can keep its fringe players match fit in the NEAFL in case it needs them later in the finals series, even if they may not be eligible under rule b). I guess Laidler, Rohan and Mitchell are all players who would fail to meet the rule b) criteria.

Also, while an AFL side still has its senior side playing, it is highly unlikely to drop senior players back to the reserves just to strengthen the reserves side. It would clearly be a little unfair to other teams in the NEAFL if a team stacked its side with AFL quality players who had not played much during the season. It stops GSW bringing in Shane Mumford, Will Hoskin-Elliot and Dylan Shiel (and the rest) for the NEAFL finals series.

Suspended by the MRP
    Which Swans reserves players are playing for their Swans careers in the reserves finals series? Who needs to show something in the last couple of weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The point of the rule is not about a player playing two games - it is about whether there is a senior AFL game that they could be chosen for. If the Swans were not playing AFL finals, rule b) prevails. But because we are, the club can keep its fringe players match fit in the NEAFL in case it needs them later in the finals series, even if they may not be eligible under rule b). I guess Laidler, Rohan and Mitchell are all players who would fail to meet the rule b) criteria.

Also, while an AFL side still has its senior side playing, it is highly unlikely to drop senior players back to the reserves just to strengthen the reserves side. It would clearly be a little unfair to other teams in the NEAFL if a team stacked its side with AFL quality players who had not played much during the season. It stops GSW bringing in Shane Mumford, Will Hoskin-Elliot and Dylan Shiel (and the rest) for the NEAFL finals series.
    That makes sense but I find the wording a little odd. "should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match" does that mean if we beat Freo and get the week off, that technically we can select any listed player for the NEAFL GF because they weren't selected to play that weekend. Or if the reverse is true, it means that Laidler is ineligible for the GF?

Veteran Site Admin
    That makes sense but I find the wording a little odd. "should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match" does that mean if we beat Freo and get the week off, that technically we can select any listed player for the NEAFL GF because they weren't selected to play that weekend. Or if the reverse is true, it means that Laidler is ineligible for the GF?
    I agree the wording is ambiguous. It would suggest the latter - if there is no senior game, a player cannot be not selected to play in the senior team. However, I always thought that the "plain English" intention of the rule was not to impose any restrictions while the senior team was still alive in its competition, thus recognising that reserves teams play a supporting function to their senior team, as well as being a competition in their own right.

Bird might be an interesting case. If he does not come up for this weekend and we win, will the club be allowed to play him in the reserves to get match fitness during a week in which the senior team is not playing - a similar question to the Laidler question.

Should be an entertaining day at Blacktown. The Div 2 Women's Grand Final Southern Power V Wollongong Saints precedes the NEAFL match whilst the Division 5 Grand Final between Penrith Rams and Blacktown is after the Swans V NT match. Entry just $10 and Cheap food and grog supplied by Camden Cats. Get down there

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    That makes sense but I find the wording a little odd. "should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match" does that mean if we beat Freo and get the week off, that technically we can select any listed player for the NEAFL GF because they weren't selected to play that weekend.
    That's the way I read it. I believe it's the same rule which allowed LRT to play in the NEAFL grand final against Belconnen last year, overriding the listed player restrictions that would normally have been in place.

Strong team named

In: Biggs, B.Jack, Laidler, Membrey, T.Mitchell, Nankervis, Towers
    Out: Bottin-Noonan, Dickson, Hebron, Hey, Vaisey, Wetzlar, Wright

B: Laidler, Walsh, Dick
    HB: Jones, X.Richards, Marsh
    C: Lockyer, Robinson, Biggs
    HF: Hewett, Membrey, Towers
    F: Nankervis, P.Mitchell, B.Jack
    Foll: Naismith, O'Keefe, T.Mitchell

Inter: Heeney, Mills, Hiscox, Davis

That is a strong team, with all 18 starters on our list.

Suspended by the MRP
    Love the bench. I hope there are periods of the game where Heeney, Hewitt and Mills can be the three midfielders in at the centre square ball ups.

That is the Swans midfield future staring you in the face.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast