Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SCG final....maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    The interesting part of the statement I believe was the references to the training and administrative facilities becoming tired. The issues with the training and administrative facilities are as follows:

- Office facilities becoming cramped as the organisation expands.
    - Lack of multiple outdoor training facilities and outdoor space.
    - A Gym that's too small, requiring the group to be split in three to do weight sessions.
    - Lack of a major indoor training facility.

It's a major concern in my opinion. There are very few options in the Eastern Suburbs to have a centre of excellence that has everything if you can't get improvement out of Moore Park.

The club can't go West of Canterbury Road to find space as the players would have to drive too far to training. This would frustrate recruits like Franklin and Tippett who enjoy a leisurely 15 minute drive to work from Bondi. This is one of the benefits they signed up for and forcing them to drive over 40 minutes west to work will leave them feeling disillusioned.

What are the options?
    Ireland says it in the article - EQ, there is a mile of available space there.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Re the roof. I beleive it will be retractible, so the open area will be the same as it is now.
    A roof will allow them to determine how much water the grass gets and not leave it up to the rain gods.

Also, they already use lights to simulate sunshine for the grass.

Wind, you dont need
    You are mistaken about wind barry - it is seen as essential to healthy growth of turf used at football grounds.

A lot of the big soccer stadiums in Europe (Etihad Stadium in Manchester is one I know well) have some sort of contraption built in (at the Etihad, they have giant flaps in the four corners that can be opened on non match days) that allows for wind flow when matches aren't on. Indeed, Amesterdam Arena (a ground with a retractable roof but no such mechanism to allow wind in) has such trouble with growing turf that they've actually turned to using huge fan ventilators to create 'artificial wind' to help turf grow. Its also the excuse they've given for the open back on the top level of the new stand at the SCG - although I think it could have been solved much better by something similar to what they have at the Etihad in Manchester.

I would have thought though with the shape of ANZ that a retractable roof should be able to retract on top of the existing roof - hence not really impacting on wind or light. If it is kept closed a lot then it could impact on turf growth, but I can't see it having too much of an impact. The poor scheduling of AFL matches close to NRL games, hence creating the awful problems with a poor quality surface in those areas of the ground, due to the retractable stands being moved will remain the key issue of concern at ANZ, roof or no roof.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I'm sure I've already heard someone from the AFL (McLachlan maybe) say that if the swans win this week, they'll be playing on the Friday night in the Prelim.
    Someone may well have done so. And if the AFL has successfully already made a provisional booking for ANZ on the night, that's fine. I just think the club (or we as supporters) can't insist that we have unequivocally earned that right, since I don't believe it is a right that can be earned. If it is, the Hawks were dudded in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    After training so hard to acclimatise to the ANZ surface, why should be give up our advantage by transferring the game to the SCG?

Is that Reid?

MCS is correct re the need for wind, and that being the reason for the open back design at top level of new SCG stand. I did a guided tour of SCG earlier this year and both those points were made.

(I also agree that it is surprising that there could not have been a better design for the SCG.)

It is also the reason for those big sail cloth type structures at top of Allianz Stadium. As Allianz is dug in below ground level (for noise reasons as it is built so close to the Paddington residential area), it doesn't get much wind naturally. The sail cloth structure is designed to catch the wind and funnel it up and over the roof into the stadium.

I am not being negative about having a retractable roof on ANZ, I think it would be great. I have though recently read someone from the Etihad administration explaining why they only close the roof there when the weather calls for it. And that was for the reason I originally mentioned - the grass needs the maximum amount of wind and sun as possible.

mcs and I read, or heard, the same thing. Either McLachlan or Evans said that if the Swans host a prelim, it will be on Friday night.

So yes, the Hawks were dudded in 2012. Due to the unique situation, of the alternate venue (SCG) being in the middle of re development.

How it all pans out with timing of bookings, as mcs points out, and whether or not that changes precedence this year, I've got no idea
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Re the roof. I beleive it will be retractible, so the open area will be the same as it is now.
    A roof will allow them to determine how much water the grass gets and not leave it up to the rain gods.
    Wind, you dont need
    Wrong on both counts.

A retractable roof doesn't vanish into thin air, it requires housing.

The open area will be significantly smaller than what is existing.

Air movement is also crucial for grass growth and strength...

No wind creates 2 problems...

1) Grass roots don't knit to the soil. Therefore it is loose and prone to shifting.

2) Fungal and mould type disease are much harder to control.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 3rd September 2014 at 11:49 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

It's so hard to predict the turn a thread will take.

Have you ever seen mud at etihad?

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    It's so hard to predict the turn a thread will take.
    Not at present. Every thread seems to develop into a series of posts about ANZ stadium. I wish they could all be lumped under their own thread. It's getting tedious.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Yeh i'm sure the AFL have already said that a Friday night prelim would be moved to the SCG if necessary. But let's just worry about Saturday's game first...everything else will sort itself out.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Have you ever seen mud at etihad?
    7 April 2013. Geelong defeated North Melbourne at Etihad in pouring rain.

They only close the roof at Etihad for day matches if rain is forecast for the time of the match. It wasn't that day, the roof was open and it poured in the last quarter.

The roof is left open for day matches when it is expected to be fine for the reasons I've set out elsewhere - to provide maximum sun and air circulation for healthy grass. It is closed for all twilight and night matches.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast