Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG final....maybe

SCG final....maybe

I've got my fingers and toes crossed.....

Quote from Andrew Ireland earlier today.....
    (As we head into finals this year, the first week of finals will clearly be played at ANZ Stadium. After that, obviously the NRL finals are on and there are more Sydney-based teams playing this year than last year, so there might well be a case where there is a clash.)

No need to comment Barry.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

A prelim vs geelong or hawthorn should get near 70,000.

A semi final against port or tiges might suit a smaller venue. Many will drop off if we lose on saturday.

Veterans List
    Oh well, there are a lot of finals held where all those who wish to attend can't (every GF at MCG), Cats at Simmonds last year, various in Adelaide and Perth. I'd love to be at the SCG for a QF - and remembering the Cats semi of 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Oh well, there are a lot of finals held where all those who wish to attend can't (every GF at MCG), Cats at Simmonds last year, various in Adelaide and Perth. I'd love to be at the SCG for a QF - and remembering the Cats semi of 2005.
    Thats very kind of you.

48000 seats at the SCG will more than accommodate Swans members able to come....

Unfortunately Barry, as a non member, you'll have to try your luck with the left over seats....

It would be worth the effort, there's nothing like a full house at the SCG.

For those that miss out, that's incentive to take up a membership next year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

True colours coming out now.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    A possible conundrum could arise should there be a NRL final scheduled for the Friday night at ANZ on prelim final weekend. (all assuming we beat Freo on Saturday touch wood) Would we have to forgo our earnt right as minor premiers to play on the Friday night and lose the advantage of another day's break or would the match be moved to the SCG instead?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    A possible conundrum could arise should there be a NRL final scheduled for the Friday night at ANZ on prelim final weekend. (all assuming we beat Freo on Saturday touch wood) Would we have to forgo our earnt right as minor premiers to play on the Friday night and lose the advantage of another day's break or would the match be moved to the SCG instead?
    I'm sure read somewhere, I think it was Evans, that if the Swans have a home prelim, it will definitely be on the Friday night.

I think the reason they didn't move the prelim in 2012, was because the SCG was in the middle of it's re development...
    Last edited by ernie koala; 3rd September 2014 at 07:21 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'm sure read somewhere, I think it was Evans, that if the Swans have a home prelim, it will definitely be on the Friday night.
    So we get precedence over the NRL?

So we get precedence over the NRL?
    We certainly used to. Not sure its still the case.

But 70,000 AFL prelim will naturally trump a 40,000 NRL semi, since we are a week ahead of them.

Best and only chance of an SCG final is next week (semis). Wouldnt bother me. Would make the "fair weathers" day.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    48000 seats at the SCG will more than accommodate Swans members able to come....

Unfortunately Barry, as a non member, you'll have to try your luck with the left over seats....

It would be worth the effort, there's nothing like a full house at the SCG.

For those that miss out, that's incentive to take up a membership next year.
    We don't know Barry's circumstances. He may be in one of the corporate boxes in the SCG.

This thread could be shut down if people are not nice.

You need to remember though, the AFL is a week in front of the NRL this year in terms of finals. They are only playing Rd 26 this weekend, so we will know already as of Saturday whether we have a home prelim final, whereas the NRL will only still be planning week 1 finals, with no way of knowing what they'll need in Week 2 (i.e. Prelim Final weekend)

There is far more chance of a clash if we lose on Saturday and have to play a home final in week 2 (As NRL may have up to 3, maybe even 4 finals in Sydney in Week 1) , but if we win, I think you can just about lock in a Friday Night Preliminary Final at ANZ. At least it would also mean that there would be at least 6 days between the last NRL game and the Prelim, so the ground should be in ok condition as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast