Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Crowd prediction fr swans v Freo

It's a crowd numbers thread, so I'm going to try to drag it back to that. I was disappointed with the crowd size yesterday but there are several reasons for it in my view. Yes one is the venue, but that's been done to death so I'm going to leave that to one side. Others include the following, and all would have contributed to some degree. These factors both apply to regular supporters who wanted to go but couldn't, and casual fans who might have gone :-

- Ticket prices. They weren't cheap and if you're saving for a PF & GF as well it might be that a choice had to be made.
    - Saturday at 2.45. I like the timeslot but I had to miss cricket to go to the game. My children had sporting commitments that they couldn't miss. Lots of other people would have had preexisting commitments too. During the season we know when the games are so can plan our calendar around them. You don't get that luxury with finals. Like many, I was expecting Saturday night.
    - The opposition. Not a big drawing team.
    - The weather. It did improve but it has been so wet here for so long, and was wetter near the coast where many of our supporters do live, which might have put them off
    - Ticketek. They don't make it easy
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

What is annoying about Ticketek is that they still haven't reached the 21st century in allowing you to pick your seats at a venue. Absolutely infuriating - i.e. I wanted seats on the Western Side, so in case of it being a sunny day, I wouldn't have to worry about looking into the sun. However, time and time again I kept getting offered eastern side seats. In the end, I downgraded to Cat 3 and sat in the alcohol free zone so that I could ensure th

Your points are valid ones Doctor, and I think significant contributors to the poor crowd yesterday. I think the first one especially is valid. A lot of members I would expect may have chosen to not go yesterday, in order to be able to afford to go to PF and the GF (if they can get a ticket). Just remember how expensive a GF trip is, and there is every reason to see why it suppresses demand for a game like this.

There would be a lot of merit, if the AFL want to ensure a good first week of finals crowd in Sydney, for some of the memberships (maybe the 5 game and above categories) to include entry (for instance general admin) to the week 1 final. There is precedence for this - I know the Victorian Platinum AFL membership includes entry for Week 1 and 2 if the Swans play in Melbourne. Would certainly help ensure that members would have no excuse not to go the week 1 final, and would be a reasonable reward for member loyalty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It's an anonymous board. Would you believe anything you read. ?
    I aren't going down this road.
    Don't forget your tin foil hat Barry, if you going to believe there is some sort of 'grand conspiracy' going on against you..

I think for most (myself included), the question was pondered as we were interested in whether you were in fact a Swans member as well that attends games at the SCG, or whether you only attend games at ANZ.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    It's a crowd numbers thread, so I'm going to try to drag it back to that. I was disappointed with the crowd size yesterday but there are several reasons for it in my view. Yes one is the venue, but that's been done to death so I'm going to leave that to one side. Others include the following, and all would have contributed to some degree. These factors both apply to regular supporters who wanted to go but couldn't, and casual fans who might have gone :-

- Ticket prices. They weren't cheap and if you're saving for a PF & GF as well it might be that a choice had to be made.
    - Saturday at 2.45. I like the timeslot but I had to miss cricket to go to the game. My children had sporting commitments that they couldn't miss. Lots of other people would have had preexisting commitments too. During the season we know when the games are so can plan our calendar around them. You don't get that luxury with finals. Like many, I was expecting Saturday night.
    - The opposition. Not a big drawing team.
    - The weather. It did improve but it has been so wet here for so long, and was wetter near the coast where many of our supporters do live, which might have put them off
    - Ticketek. They don't make it easy
    Tickets and ticketed are solvable with AFL help.

Game time. Fixable.

The weather... Roof coming soon.

Opposition. .. We've actually been unlucky with finalists over the years. Freo x2, Brisbane, west coast.

Getting the swans members engaged seems to be a problem. The club has let the ANZ wringing bubble along too long imho. It becomes a self fulfilling profecy. You couldn't imagine a well rung club in Melbourne allowing venues to impact crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Tickets and ticketed are solvable with AFL help.

Game time. Fixable.

The weather... Roof coming soon.

Opposition. .. We've actually been unlucky with finalists over the years. Freo x2, Brisbane, west coast.

Getting the swans members engaged seems to be a problem. The club has let the ANZ wringing bubble along too long imho. It becomes a self fulfilling profecy. You couldn't imagine a well rung club in Melbourne allowing venues to impact crowds.
    Barry has it occurred to you that maybe the club doesn't want to play at ANZ? With regards to (I gather you mean whingeing) I haven't actually heard or seen documentation where the club has encouraged the whingeing bubble. If I am wrong please correct me. Also it appears from what I have read here that the majority of the supporters prefer the SCG to ANZ, but if I am wrong then please correct me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    This game is over. Can we please close this thread now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to not click through if you are not wanting to read any more about this subject ? Just wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Yep, you're absolutely right Faunac8. See ya!
    The trouble is all threads lately seem to turn into a bun fight about ANZ/SCG.

Another thread closed

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456