Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes and booing

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There were are few subtle signs coming out of the Goodes-Jetta interview on the Swans website that would suggest that the booing could influence Adam's decision to retire at the end of this season. And who could blame him. I think he's playing well enough at the moment to play on if he wants.

It would be very sad if an aboriginal player were forced out of the game due to racism. I don't have any solution because it's a problem with our society in general. Nonetheless, the AFL has to take some kind of stance and action that's more meaningful than what's already been done so far. It's such a bad reflection on the game and Australia as a nation.
    Australia as a nation has far too many people that want to sweep all the 'nasties' under the carpet, never to be disturbed, in some vain pursuit of maintaining the illusion of us being a tolerant society. Sadly, its far from the truth.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Warming the Bench
    As an opposition supporter - its now to the point that it is getting to him and that is why it keeps going. Why did it start, I think all of the issues are covered in the previous posts. For the record I didn't Boo him at the recent Swans v Hawks game but I don't like him either. (Don't like him but can still recognise him as a champion player)
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Drugs and racism are now symbols of our game whether we like it or not.

That why 99,000 turn up to watch soccer instead.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Fully agree - time for the AFL to stand up for something it knows is wrong

Happy and I know it
    The booing has obviously affected Jetta (he said his dance was in support of Goodes). I do wonder how many others in our team are impacted by it as well? It can't be positive for team morale.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Senior Player
    The AFL is spineless. Even their CEO refuses to acknowledge the booing is racially motivated. They are not alone though, the clubs and other players who have made an art form of blah-ing on endlessly about character and leadership show absolutely none of it when it really counts. The staging accusation is just making apologies for the bigots. There aren't too many saints out there on the field when it comes to trying to gain an advantage.
    How Goodsey puts up with the booing with this week after week is beyond me. If he does retire at the end of the year (and
    I really hope he doesn't because he is clearly in our best 15, let alone 22) it's hard to imagine his decision won't be influenced by the fact that many footy fans just don't like intelligent, articulate and proud black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There were are few subtle signs coming out of the Goodes-Jetta interview on the Swans website that would suggest that the booing could influence Adam's decision to retire at the end of this season. And who could blame him. I think he's playing well enough at the moment to play on if he wants.

It would be very sad if an aboriginal player were forced out of the game due to racism. I don't have any solution because it's a problem with our society in general. Nonetheless, the AFL has to take some kind of stance and action that's more meaningful than what's already been done so far. It's such a bad reflection on the game and Australia as a nation.

The southern states (cities) (adeliade/melb and perth) are known for their racism. whats new.

Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    The AFL is spineless. Even their CEO refuses to acknowledge the booing is racially motivated. They are not alone though, the clubs and other players who have made an art form of blah-ing on endlessly about character and leadership show absolutely none of it when it really counts. The staging accusation is just making apologies for the bigots. There aren't too many saints out there on the field when it comes to trying to gain an advantage.
    How Goodsey puts up with the booing with this week after week is beyond me. If he does retire at the end of the year (and
    I really hope he doesn't because he is clearly in our best 15, let alone 22) it's hard to imagine his decision won't be influenced by the fact that many footy fans just don't like intelligent, articulate and proud black people.
    Don't hold your breath for Gillon to show some leadership on this.

I've totally changed my view on Goodesy now, I truly hope he plays on next year

On the veteran's list
    It's racism. Especially him speaking out as Australian of the year.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    One thing: does anyone know how to get messages to Jetta via the club to say bravo

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast