Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCG crowds 1982-2014

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Would be interesting to have a second chart including ANZ
    Just for you then. ANZ is referred to as "Stad. Aust." by the keepers of the data.

I think points works better than boxes for this chart. What's interesting is that 2014 is the first year since we started using ANZ where it does not have the biggest crowds.

scg4.png

Thanks that's great and very interesting, including your comment about this year. This could be a result of scheduling, for example the Geelong match this year might have been the largest crowd whichever venue had been used. If it is easy to do (don't worry if this request is a pain) could you use all the data from the second chart to produce a box chart like the first one, but not differentiating between the venues? I expect at least one, probably more, of the ANZ crowd numbers would be 'outliers'.

ANZ only got one game which I would call a blockbuster this year. The Hawks game.

The other games were v Collingwood when we had hardly won a game at the start of the year, and v Richmond in a dead rubber for us.

However, Bit of work to do to get it up to the 60,000 level it should be. I reackon the loss of the "3 game ANZ pass" has hurt crowds since it was dropped a couple of years ago.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Collingwood was Round 2! Technically you could say we had a 0% winning record.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Collingwood was Round 2! Technically you could say we had a 0% winning record.
    or a 100% losing record.

Senior Player
    could you use all the data from the second chart to produce a box chart like the first one, but not differentiating between the venues?
    I'll be charging consultancy fees soon Sure, we can do boxes for combined SCG + ANZ, then overlay the points to see where the ANZ games fall.

scg5.png

Thank you, that's fascinating! (Give him a longer contract!) For example look at 2007, much different to looking just at SCG. Now can you overlay the rainfall readings on game days? (Just kidding!)

Senior Player
    For example look at 2007, much different to looking just at SCG
    Right, so what you see there is what MarshallG talked about; the fewer, but bigger crowd ANZ games increase the range, so the box gets stretched upwards. But you can see that the coloured SCG points are clustered around the median, in the same position as the SCG-only charts. That's why I think it's worth looking at SCG separately; both venues are home games, but the ANZ games tend to distort the picture, being far fewer but with generally larger crowds.

Now can you overlay the rainfall readings on game days?
    That would be a cool project, wouldn't it - mash up weather with scores. We'd see if we really do go worse in the wet!

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Right, so what you see there is what MarshallG talked about; the fewer, but bigger crowd ANZ games increase the range, so the box gets stretched upwards. But you can see that the coloured SCG points are clustered around the median, in the same position as the SCG-only charts. That's why I think it's worth looking at SCG separately; both venues are home games, but the ANZ games tend to distort the picture, being far fewer but with generally larger crowds.!
    Yes each chart adds to the story. As always using statistics, it pays to look at what picture they might illustrate from several angles. We didn't do box charts like yours back when I did Eco Statistics many years ago but I really like the depiction (once I wrapped my head around it).

Great work on these - the charts are fascinating, and I will be interested to see what might happen in 2015. If we win the flag this year, I would like to think we might get 3 or 4 40K+ games at the SCG, and hopefully see a bounce back in ANZ numbers (the downwards trend on them is surely a significant worry to the club).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Just for you then. ANZ is referred to as "Stad. Aust." by the keepers of the data.

I think points works better than boxes for this chart. What's interesting is that 2014 is the first year since we started using ANZ where it does not have the biggest crowds.

scg4.png
    Could that be because:

(a) previous years include the finals, the 2014 data is incomplete or,
    (b) 2014 tickets cost more

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallG View Post
    Could that be because: (a) previous years include the finals, the 2014 data is incomplete or, (b) 2014 tickets cost more
    Forgot to mention, there are no finals games in these charts. Just home games from the H&A season.

Could be a combination of things I guess: cost, less drawcard games (only the Hawks really), games coinciding with bad weather or transport issues...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast