Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCG crowds 1982-2014

Senior Player

SCG crowds 1982-2014

With the 2014 H&A season over, I figured it was time for a chart.

scg.png

The red line is the median crowd (50% of games had that crowd or more) for all games, 1982-2014. The middle black line in each box is the median for that season.

Looks like something/someone really lifted our crowds this year Crowds are getting close to the "post-1996 peak".

Digging through the RWO archives, I found a thread about low SCG crowds from 2003 where penga asked:

do we need another draw card like plugger to get our numbers back???
    Seems we do! Sydney loves superstars.

Blog Entries
    Wow interesting Graph.

2012 was such a great year for crowds. given the success we had that year. And 2013 had the SCG reno's and had better crowds.

I'd be interested to see the average for each era 1982-96, and 1997-2014 as well.

Good graph there, and I think it shows the impact that someone like Buddy has on the Sydney market. Lets hope that upwards trend continues next year, hopefully on the back of a 3rd flag within a decade!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I'd be interested to see the average for each era 1982-96, and 1997-2014 as well.
    Ask and ye shall receive! The lower dashed black line is the average 1982-96; the upper dotted black line is average 1997-2014.

scg3.png
    Last edited by neilfws; 9th September 2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: better chart

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive! The lower dashed black line is the average 1982-96; the upper dotted black line is average 1997-2014.

Attachment 1116
    That chart really shows how far we have come in the last 20 years. A credit to our club and those that run it!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Blog Entries
    That is a big difference.

What are the numbers.
    Looks like over all is about 22K
    pre 97 about 14.5K
    post 96 about 28.5K

Almost double!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Very nice work neilfws - such clear changes jump out at you. And a telling suggestion from Scott.

If the old saying is Sydney loves a winner (who doesn't? only the ones losing!), then add Sydney loves a superstar, the question changes from how low can you go to how high can you fly. If we keep winning and getting increases of that order, we will start seeing sellouts.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    I like the graph.

Question. What does the red box represent? I assume the vertical black line represents the highest and lowest crowds in each year.

A number of Melbourne based clubs would love to have attendance figures like this.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The graph is a commonly used one in statistics and it's called the box plot. The boxes represent the 25th to 75th percentile of the population range (or in layman's terms the middle 50%) and the black horizontal line within the box is the median. The black dots that exist in some years are outliers.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The graph is a commonly used one in statistics and it's called the box plot. The boxes represent the 25th to 75th percentile of the population range (or in layman's terms the middle 50%) and the black horizontal line within the box is the median. The black dots that exist in some years are outliers.
    I knew I should have aimed for more than just a pass in my Eco Stats unit

Thanks for that Ugg. I was sure we had at least one massive crowd in 1996, and there it is. The Geelong v Sydney game, shall from this day forward be known as the outlier game.

Blog Entries
    In my short time in the education arena, that put little horizontal lines on the top and bottom of each vertical lines and it's called a box and whiskers graph.
    Cute!!

Senior Player
    The graph is a commonly used one in statistics and it's called the box plot
    Very nicely explained ugg. So the bottom of the box = 25% of games had that crowd or less; the middle line (median) = 50% of games; the top line 75% of games. It's better than simple averages (means), as it gives you an idea of the distribution (the mean assumes a particular kind of distribution which is not always the case).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast