Thread: Phelan Medal

Warming the Bench

Phelan Medal

I thought i'd take every1's thoughts for the Phelan Medal this year. I think it will be a two horse race between Goodall from Penno and Pettersson from Manly.
    They were standout consistent performers in the two best sides. I also remember last year Armitage was out by about 8 votes at the halfway mark and then didn't poll until the last round, Pettersson polled 3 BOGS in 6 or 7 games.

It was interesting that last year, despite some very big wins Manly only secured all votes in 2 or 3 games. I think given votes will be taken off these players by others, it is possible that Wests CHF may pop up or even Etto from Campbelltown. You only have to get enough 1 or 2 votes by being best in a losing team. I agree that Goodall and Pettersson have had outstanding seasons, but so have their teammates. The other name to be added to Barista's duo should be Merson from the Dragons. He has looked strong all year.

It's hard isn't it, because we only see all the opposition players twice during the year - unless you watch the streamed match which I don't.
    Three guys have caught my eye - Goodall, Merson and Selby...if OC is right and the best in a losing team will pick up a few votes, then that will work for Selby, whereas other players would take votes off Merson, Pettersson and Goodall.

According to the club's best, which is as rough a form guide as you could get as a player could get 13 times in the best but may be the 6th best every time.

Going on this methodology, Lindsay Scown wins!

Player Name Team M G TIB
    Lindsay Scown Magpies 18 8 15
    Matthew Adamson Bombers 18 3 14
    Alexander Wynn Dragons 19 18 13
    Taran Etto Blues 17 13 13
    Joshua Maddox Bats 15 12 13
    Matthew Round Magpies 19 12 13
    Hamish Sherwood Blues 18 4 13

Offal - great Stats. Would love to see if for the players with only being first or second best in TIB. If first or second their (if umpires agree) they have a strong chance of getting votes.

Scown ineligible

I think coaches see it differently to the umpires. There have been any number of players that have won Association Medals but not polled well in Club Awards. Club votes may recognise a tagger who gets 10 possessions, it is unlikely the umpires will give that player 3 votes.