Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Preliminary Final Sydney v North Pre Match Discussion Thread

Far from a fair accompli, but I think considering the seasons of the two sides, the fact that we are rested, and are playing at home ( well, sort of,) means most of us should be pretty confident of getting the job done. We will still need to play good football to win, but we have managed to do that for the majority of the season. It would be horrifying to lose to the kangas in a prelim, I don't even want to think about that happening. Kangas have done well to get this far, but I'm fairly confident that we'll be putting a stop to their run on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    It all depends who do you talk to. I'm convinced that Melbourne media is hoping for Hawks vs Kangaroos GF. Also, I've noticed that some sporting commentators are expecting upset in a PF especially against Sydney. I don't think it's a given, but IMO our players are more pumped up than ever trying to prove, why the Swans should win and be in the GF after all the bad things that was said about our club. And I wouldn't be expecting less from them. They have to smash Kangaroos to prove the point.
    It certainly is far from a fait accompli, but I really think if they are looking for the game likely to have an upset, they are looking at the wrong game. If the Swans play a good 4 quarters of footy, then it should be too much for hot and cold Norf. If we don't, then that's another story. But in the end, as long as we win, I don't care how we played, by how much we win or what the game was like - as long as we get the result.

Port, with their outside running ability, have the ability to seriously worry Hawthorn - I see that as the game more likely to see an upset. I'd be disappointed however if we don't get a Swans-Hawks grand final, with the two best teams all season fighting it out to win the flag.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

It will be the biggest investigation since fine cotton if we lose. fait accompli

Great pre match story on Dane Rampe.

"It took a chance encounter with former Swans coach Paul Roos while playing for UNSW/Eastern Suburbs in Sydney's AFL competition for Rampe to appear on the Swans' radar.

"I completely fluked a spot in the Swans, Roosy was watching with his son at one of our games," Rampe said. "That's what makes me pinch myself, I can't believe it."

Read more: Sydney Swans' Mr Fix-It ready to take on anyone

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Great pre match story on Dane Rampe.

"It took a chance encounter with former Swans coach Paul Roos while playing for UNSW/Eastern Suburbs in Sydney's AFL competition for Rampe to appear on the Swans' radar.

"I completely fluked a spot in the Swans, Roosy was watching with his son at one of our games," Rampe said. "That's what makes me pinch myself, I can't believe it."

Read more: Sydney Swans' Mr Fix-It ready to take on anyone
    Nice little piece. I hadn't realised the Roos connection - talk about the gift that keeps on giving.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I have a feeling norf are going to come out dirty to try and unsettle us. The old "shinboner" spirit.

Veterans List
    Anyone going to training? I'm interested in who is still training from the ressies as back up in case we get injuries.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I have a feeling norf are going to come out dirty to try and unsettle us. The old "shinboner" spirit.
    That would be tactics like shirtfronting you off the ball would it?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    This is the most confident I've felt about a game since the 2012 prelim. In modern footy, the week off is absolutely priceless. North were cooked in the last 10 minutes of Friday night's semi, they could barely get out of a jog. No reason at all that we shouldn't win and win reasonably confidently.

Also didn't like Boomer's comments post tribunal hearing last night when asked if he'd buy Selwood a beer - 'after i've played in the grand final'. Arrogant little campaigner.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

On the Rookie List
    If Malceski doesn't play Mitchell in as a mid and McVeigh as the "General" on the HB flank is a winning move. I actually think Mitchell offers more than Rohan and I would have him in the starting 22.I admire Rohan,an exciting prospect, and understand his explosive play could win a game but the risk is ,it could also lose a game!I just feel in a final you have to pick players who do not turn over while under pressure particularly when its perceived pressure. Mitchell has a strong case for selection based on form and record

If we play a four-quarter game like we have in every match since the last North one we will win. We should be able to close down their supply to Petrie, Thomas and Brown and get it in our forward zone enough times to kick a score against their under-sized defenders.

Some pundits think Goldstein will have it all over Pyke, but they obviously didn't see Pyke's last game where he did a lot of damage.

Plus, the week off really helps at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Anyone going to training? I'm interested in who is still training from the ressies as back up in case we get injuries.
    I suspect that training would be closed at this stage of the prelim week. But in the injury report yesterday afternoon Matt Cameron said the majority of players pulled up well after the reserves� two-point loss, and would continue to train with the senior team this week.

�They all went pretty well,� he said.

�One of the young guys Harrison Marsh dislocated his thumb, which is going to be an issue for him.

�But the other guys all got through pretty well and most of them will be training with the senior team tomorrow.�

Happy and I know it
    Training is closed today.

From @SwansSupport on Twitter:

Please note, training will be closed today. We look forward to seeing you all at @ANZStadium this Friday night for our Preliminary Final!
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast