Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jake Lloyd - a determined young man

Jake Lloyd - a determined young man

There is a great article in this mornings Herald Sun about the determination of Jake to make it as AFL footballer. Inspirational but quite scary really. I will never question his commitment. Having trouble getting a link as I am on my mobile.
    No Cookies | Herald Sun

I have even more respect for Jake after reading this.

Talk about determination, commitment and drive....wow.

Waking up to Jimmy in that oxygen mask......no thanks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

maybe 'Jimmy" is Jakes alter ego ???
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Warming the Bench
    No wonder he is cool under pressure, amazing story

I met Lloyd at a members function last year, he was clearly out of his comfort zone but just as clearly determined to make himself comfortable being around fans. I noticed that he made a point of trying to talk to everyone at the function (the one for recruiting 2 or more players) Struck me as a very determined mature young guy.
    Glad he is doing well, he is a Swan through and through
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

What a good read, now I have even more respect for Jake. He is going to be a very good player.

Just wild about Harry
    Now that is just scary on so many levels.

I have said this a few times but will repeat. I started following the Swans because of Jake. I have not meet him but was trained by Jimmy when he was in Sydney. That may give you the wrong impression about me. I'm unfit (especially since he has not been around) and old (er .. nearly 60). I think he liked that I did try. One story does describe him. He had me doing box jumps (I hate them). I had to do 20. It was out front of a garage and on a new brick surface. I was getting tired and landed on the edge of the box. It slide from under me and I fell back. The back of my head came in contact with a "2 brick high" garden border. As I lay there dazed he came over to me looked down and said "ok thats 14 .. just 6 more to go".

He did not get to see him play in Sydney except for his first NAB cup match in 2013 at Blacktown(?). Jake told Jimmy that his instructions were just to go out there and enjoy himself. Jimmy told him forget that, go out there and give it everything you have and smash um.

As you can image it has been a fun journey following Jakes progress.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    I have said this a few times but will repeat. I started following the Swans because of Jake. I have not meet him but was trained by Jimmy when he was in Sydney. That may give you the wrong impression about me. I'm unfit (especially since he has not been around) and old (er .. nearly 60). I think he liked that I did try. One story does describe him. He had me doing box jumps (I hate them). I had to do 20. It was out front of a garage and on a new brick surface. I was getting tired and landed on the edge of the box. It slide from under me and I fell back. The back of my head came in contact with a "2 brick high" garden border. As I lay there dazed he came over to me looked down and said "ok thats 14 .. just 6 more to go".

He did not get to see him play in Sydney except for his first NAB cup match in 2013 at Blacktown(?). Jake told Jimmy that his instructions were just to go out there and enjoy himself. Jimmy told him forget that, go out there and give it everything you have and smash um.

As you can image it has been a fun journey following Jake's progress.
    Great story southsideswan.

And there's a phrase we'll hear a lot more of.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Great story southsideswan.

And there's a phrase we'll hear a lot more of.
    Absoutely - Lloyd is going to be another 'bargain basement' success story at the Swans - I've thoroughly enjoyed what progress we've seen this year from him, and that's just the start of it.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Who needs Leading Teams when you've got THE SHED ? Sounds a bit suss to me.

I'm looking to buy my 4 year old son his 1st Swan's Guernsey. I think I will get number 44 on the back. If he grew up idolizing Jake, I would have no qualms with that. A quality young man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast