Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harvey gets a week

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Understand the penalty, though I can't help but think how lucky Hall was in 2005 that his incident was able to be classed as 'in play'. Both Harvey's and Hall's acts were incredibly stupid, but through sheer good fortune one managed to escape suspension by virtue of the grading system, but the other looks likely to be rubbed out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Understand the penalty, though I can't help but think how lucky Hall was in 2005 that his incident was able to be classed as 'in play'. Both Harvey's and Hall's acts were incredibly stupid, but through sheer good fortune one managed to escape suspension by virtue of the grading system, but the other looks likely to be rubbed out.
    To be fair, if Harvey's recent record wasn't so ordinary, he would only get a reprimand at worst. Hall's record up to his 2005 indiscretion was still reasonable. It was pre-Staker. I still think Hall was slightly fortunate that he got to play.

Notwithstanding that, I remain of the view that the force of the head clash (and the bump that caused it) was insufficient to warrant a suspension. I don't think the drawing of blood is that big a deal. I can draw blood with a slight, unconscious scrape of my finger nail. Selwood wasn't shaken up by the contact, let alone needing to leave the ground to be assessed for concussion.

Titus O'Reilly tweet:

North Melbourne will challenge the Brent Harvy decision of the Tribunal. "We've got as much chance as we do against Sydney."

Agree with those saying that Harvey should be allowed to play. I would be beyond furious if a Swans player was banned for something so minor.

If a bump requires a concussion test then by all means ban the player for an extended period. You'll find players will naturally eliminate the tactic from their game given the risk.

Meanwhile, Zac Dawson is free to essentially punch players in the back of the head week after week under the guise of spoiling. The MRP system is rotten.

Dont forget 96 people ,2 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I can draw blood with a slight, unconscious scrape of my finger nail.
    So can Tony Libratore
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Probably right.

Those saying they wouldn't love him probably said the same about Buddy.
    Nah not in my case...I always loved big Bud...could never quite understand the animosity towards him when he first started out.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Agree with those saying that Harvey should be allowed to play. I would be beyond furious if a Swans player was banned for something so minor.

If a bump requires a concussion test then by all means ban the player for an extended period. You'll find players will naturally eliminate the tactic from their game given the risk.

Meanwhile, Zac Dawson is free to essentially punch players in the back of the head week after week under the guise of spoiling. The MRP system is rotten.
    The MRP system is broken, I'll agree with that. But I'm not unhappy with Harvey's suspension. I know he has got a lot of rough treatment over the years, but the incident was a fair way off where the ball was, completely unnecessary, and really pretty nigly. If he'd stop doing stupid things like that, then he wouldn't have a bunch of carryover points that turns a reprimand into a one week suspension.

Hall was exceptionally lucky to play in 2005 - I don't think anyone can deny that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    Dont forget 96 people ,2 weeks!
    +1 to this.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

In the scale of things the bump was not worth missing a prelim final. Selwoods head moved into Harveys head (I suppose all the same anyway). The problem is if there is consistency then 1 week. This happens alot and the player is able to play the next week due to good record. He has put himself in that position because it was not really in the heat of the battle just trying to exert a physical presence. I do feel sorry for Harvey but he was in total control of the situation (past record and contact) and he should suffer the consequences.

A lot of incidental head high contact is let go if it occurs in play, but if there is contact off the ball and the player elects to bump, then there's a problem. Like the frequent Zak Dawson whacks to the head trying to spoil, the player doesn't get called out that often when there appears to be a reasonable intention to play the ball. But taking someone out when not in play is frowned upon, especially if there is head high contact.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The MRP system is broken, I'll agree with that. But I'm not unhappy with Harvey's suspension. I know he has got a lot of rough treatment over the years, but the incident was a fair way off where the ball was, completely unnecessary, and really pretty nigly. If he'd stop doing stupid things like that, then he wouldn't have a bunch of carryover points that turns a reprimand into a one week suspension.

Hall was exceptionally lucky to play in 2005 - I don't think anyone can deny that.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 to this.
    Harvey shepherded Selwood out of the contest after he hand passed and attempted an overlap one-two (you can see Selwood call for the ball just before he runs into Harvey). May not have been technically legal but it was within the run of play and this sort of body on body contact occurs all the time off the ball (particularly in the forward line).

You can't honestly tell me that if McGlynn was out this week for something similar you wouldn't be pretty annoyed?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Harvey shepherded Selwood out of the contest after he hand passed and attempted an overlap one-two (you can see Selwood call for the ball just before he runs into Harvey). May not have been technically legal but it was within the run of play and this sort of body on body contact occurs all the time off the ball (particularly in the forward line).

You can't honestly tell me that if McGlynn was out this week for something similar you wouldn't be pretty annoyed?
    I would be annoyed - with Benny. To act like such a klutz when so much is at stake.

All very well to call Ben "Angry Ant" - he goes in hard but you don't see him before the tribunal that often.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast