Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 42

Thread: Changes for Prelim final V North

  1. #13
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    No Change. Not surprised. But very worried about Shaw breaking down.
    Why would you think Shaw would break down?

    I see the biggest danger is North's outside run, especially Boomer. Surely he will get a tag. Perhaps McGlynn, but Shaw is another option which would leave McGlynn playing more forward. Maybe we will mix it up a bit.

    Their other 3 outside accumulators are Dal Santo, Wells and Gibson. Usually Gibson gets free because the other 2 are better kicks, in fact excellent kicks. Cunningham is likely to get one of them. Bird may again be the sub as the other option, Lloyd, had such a good game vs. Freo. Lloyd would be handy keeping Gibson under some control as they are both aerobic specialists.

  2. #14
    Fatal error: Allowed memo undy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lane Cove
    Posts
    1,184
    Currie named as one of the emergencies for North.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

  3. #15
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Why would you think Shaw would break down?

    I see the biggest danger is North's outside run, especially Boomer. Surely he will get a tag. Perhaps McGlynn, but Shaw is another option which would leave McGlynn playing more forward. Maybe we will mix it up a bit.

    Their other 3 outside accumulators are Dal Santo, Wells and Gibson. Usually Gibson gets free because the other 2 are better kicks, in fact excellent kicks. Cunningham is likely to get one of them. Bird may again be the sub as the other option, Lloyd, had such a good game vs. Freo. Lloyd would be handy keeping Gibson under some control as they are both aerobic specialists.
    Shaw came back after injury last year and broke down two or three weeks later. On Boomer, Benny will get him, he is hard at it and Boomer will lose his temper. Atley is a very big part of their running game too. I think Hannas will play on Wells. harry will play on the HB & will probably get Gibson or Atley. Del Santo is a problem and I think that is why Macca might start forward, then Parker & Jack when resting. We need to expose Del and make him accountable. so far the opposition have played a defensive forward on him, I'd play a resting mid. As I say, Joey, Macca, Parker, Bird. Make Del work the other way, that will stuff him as he doesn't really like tackling and isn't the best defensive player.

  4. #16
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,045
    Shaw didn't "break down" from the injuries he'd been trying to overcome all year. He did a knee. It would only be guessing to suggest the latter was related to the earlier injuries, given how easily some players rupture their ACLs.

    Why on earth would Harry, who has played in the midfield/wing and half-forward, and has done some great stopping jobs on very dangerous opponents suddenly be shifted to the half-back flank, where he's not played all year, to "mind" one of the less damaging players in the North team (neither of whom even plays in their forward line on a regular basis) when they have the likes of Wells - to whom he is ideally suited - who can really cut a team apart if he's not sat on?

    Not sure playing a "resting mid" on Dal Santo makes much sense eiher. If they're minding Dal Santo (who runs hard, when he's in the mood), they would hardly be "resting".

  5. #17
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,403
    Shaw did an ACL last year that was totally unrelated to his earlier abdominal injury and can't see how his ankle injury this year might lead to another injury this week.

    I would like to see Harry take Dal Santo as he's the second best kick after Boomer, and could also expose him with his speed on the rebound.
    Wells had a poor game v. The Cats, perhaps he was a bit worn down coming back from a long injury layoff.

    I don't think we will take North lightly. They have good personnel and have played some quality football this year. I would expect that they will come out firing. Yet it's hard to imagine how they only beat Geelong by 6 points. Geelong only had 3 players, Selwood, Hawkins and Caddy, that played decent footy. All the rest were crap.

  6. #18
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,086
    Who wears the dreaded green vest ?

    Lloyd was fabulous against Freo, so doubt he comes into calculations.

    Bird was sub against Freo, came on and did well. He's such a smart player, excellent finals player.

    The other candidate is Gaz who had a poor first half against Freo.....

    Though on a dry fast track, his pace, defensive pressure, and willingness to break the lines, would be an asset against a hard running attacking team like North.

    I'm on the fence on this one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  7. #19
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,045
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Though on a dry fast track
    It's amazing that, after a few days of wringing our hands over the prospect of yet another wet, soggy game, we are now able to look forward to a fast dry track. A nice amazement. And I wouldn't put it past the Sydney weather gods to have something unpleasant up their sleeves.

  8. #20
    Bring it on! Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,141
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's amazing that, after a few days of wringing our hands over the prospect of yet another wet, soggy game, we are now able to look forward to a fast dry track. A nice amazement. And I wouldn't put it past the Sydney weather gods to have something unpleasant up their sleeves.
    I'm confident for no rain Liz, however, a cool night is forecast so dew could be an issue?
    Swannies for life!

  9. #21
    I thought Wells looked pretty dangerous in patches against the Cats and he set up a few important goals with some cool-headed disposals around the middle. Definitely think Harry should lock him down.

    As for the sub -- if Joel Tippett doesn't play it's clear that the Kangas will try to expose our height advantage in the forward line in exchange for speed and rebound footy. Like Fremantle, they'll probably play an extra man back too.

    With that in mind, I'd prefer to start the game with a faster side and a crumbing small forward like Parker or McGlynn. Therefore I think Goodes should be sub. We've already noted his poor defensive pressure and we can't afford to have the ball come out of our forward 50 easily.

    Do I think this will actually happen? Absolutely not.

  10. #22
    I suspect Birdy will get the green vest with his knee most likely still not 100%.......yet good enough to play

    I think that Lloyd truly deserves his spot and so much so because his delivery and vision is just spot on for our forwards to capitalise on
    "everybody loves somebody..........sometimes"


  11. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I thought Wells looked pretty dangerous in patches against the Cats and he set up a few important goals with some cool-headed disposals around the middle. Definitely think Harry should lock him down.

    As for the sub -- if Joel Tippett doesn't play it's clear that the Kangas will try to expose our height advantage in the forward line in exchange for speed and rebound footy. Like Fremantle, they'll probably play an extra man back too.

    With that in mind, I'd prefer to start the game with a faster side and a crumbing small forward like Parker or McGlynn. Therefore I think Goodes should be sub. We've already noted his poor defensive pressure and we can't afford to have the ball come out of our forward 50 easily.

    Do I think this will actually happen? Absolutely not
    .
    I think Goodes would be an excellent sub-the perfect impact player and intimidating for the opposition coaches
    But I doubt it would happen-this year-if he plays on he may be an impact sub for most or all games
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

  12. #24
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I thought Wells looked pretty dangerous in patches against the Cats and he set up a few important goals with some cool-headed disposals around the middle. Definitely think Harry should lock him down.

    As for the sub -- if Joel Tippett doesn't play it's clear that the Kangas will try to expose our height advantage in the forward line in exchange for speed and rebound footy. Like Fremantle, they'll probably play an extra man back too.

    With that in mind, I'd prefer to start the game with a faster side and a crumbing small forward like Parker or McGlynn. Therefore I think Goodes should be sub. We've already noted his poor defensive pressure and we can't afford to have the ball come out of our forward 50 easily.

    Do I think this will actually happen? Absolutely not.
    Trying to expose our height would be an absolutely huge risk for the Kangas if it does indeed remain dry and we use the ball well. If that is the case, we would absolutely rip them apart. It would be a massive gamble to take, but I guess the Roos have nothing to lose per say.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO