Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Changes for Prelim final V North

Opti-pessi-misti
    I would love to see us start with a totally unpredictable forward setup. Say Goodes at full-forward someone like Parks at CHF with Buddy and KT up the ground a bit to completely mess up North's defensive strategy, and then continuously rotate them around. When KT first came back from injury they were doing that a bit but lately it has seemed to be a more predictable setup and with bombing it long, lots of congestion around the goals.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I would love to see us start with a totally unpredictable forward setup. Say Goodes at full-forward someone like Parks at CHF with Buddy and KT up the ground a bit to completely mess up North's defensive strategy, and then continuously rotate them around. When KT first came back from injury they were doing that a bit but lately it has seemed to be a more predictable setup and with bombing it long, lots of congestion around the goals.
    Love a bit of confusion thrown in, always keeps me amused.

Loosely related old story- I had a clever basketball coach in my youth who used to use what he called "waltz switching" for periods of games, and he'd just say to us "zone on step" or "man on step". The idea was based on switching structures based on the waltz count of "1-2-3" with 1 being the step- so for "zone on step" we'd play 1 defensive possession of zone, then 2 defensive possessions of man on man, then 1 defensive possession of zone. Very simply, but it was based on the logic of everyone could count to 3 to know when to switch so it kept things simple but still would throw things around a bit. In hindsight it was amazing how effective it was, and because it'd switch around from zone on step to man on step through a game opponents ever really seemed to grasp it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post

I thought we did quite a lot of that in the last game with KT doing a lot more ruckwork further up the ground than we've seen this season. We do have a lot of options.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Love a bit of confusion thrown in, always keeps me amused.

Loosely related old story- I had a clever basketball coach in my youth who used to use what he called "waltz switching" for periods of games, and he'd just say to us "zone on step" or "man on step". The idea was based on switching structures based on the waltz count of "1-2-3" with 1 being the step- so for "zone on step" we'd play 1 defensive possession of zone, then 2 defensive possessions of man on man, then 1 defensive possession of zone. Very simply, but it was based on the logic of everyone could count to 3 to know when to switch so it kept things simple but still would throw things around a bit. In hindsight it was amazing how effective it was, and because it'd switch around from zone on step to man on step through a game opponents ever really seemed to grasp it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Did you hear Barry Hall say he thinks Goodes is up for a big game after being down for a few week now?. Goodes has hardly had a defensive side to his game for the past five years now - strange how he seems to go alright when he has the ball in hand though. But you'd only drop Goodes if you were replacing him with someone who is more damaging - and there isn't anyone. The plan to play him as the 3rd or 4th forward in the free game would have worked if he'd held the marks that he'd normally have taken. By the time the Roos double team Buddy and Tippo and maybe Reid they are getting thin on defenders for Goodes.

If we play as we should we should win by 50+. Full team, fresh legs and finals experience should finish the Roos' season. But it's a final so anything could happen.

Agree completely on the extra man back - Horse was very slow to respond. I hope we see Buddy move further up the ground earlier this time, too. But the Roos aren't the boa constrictor that Freo is - and they have backs out - so decent midfield supply should give us a comfortable win. I hope Goodes kicks five.
    Can I say told you so? Loved watching him run end-to-end with knees that are bone-on-bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Can I say told you so? Loved watching him run end-to-end with knees that are bone-on-bone.
    I must admit I was expecting him to crumble. He was completely knackered at the end of the run.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234