Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grand final venue

grand final venue

I know its tradition and all that. But can you name any other sports where the grand final is played at the lower qualifiers home ground.

It's worth 3 goals to dawks before the ball is bounced.

Regular in the Side
    I love the tradition of the pilgrimage personally. I'd give up a couple more goals head start rather than have it at Homebush ;-) .

NRL GF is always played in Sydney as well.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I know its tradition and all that. But can you name any other sports where the grand final is played at the lower qualifiers home ground.

NRL.

Are you conveniently forgetting the NRL Barry, or are you just complaining because you want to get in for free with your beloved ANZ membership

The problem the AFL would have, if it chose to give home grand finals, is that outside of Sydney, none of the other states have grounds big enough to achieve the cash bonanza the AFL gets from the grand final. Playing at the Adelaide Oval, the New Perth stadium when it comes online, or the Gabba would see the AFL giving up at least 35-40K (many more in the case of the GABBA) of seats it can sell in Melbourne. Even at ANZ, there are 20K seats it would not have to flog off at exorbinant prices.

I love the tradition of the final being at the MCG - its the home of footy, and where the biggest game of the season should be at. Maybe one day in the far future, all major cities will have grounds of 80K + and its an option for the AFL to play the grand final in the top ranked team's city. Until that day, never going to happen.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I hope I never live to see the day the grand final is not played at the G. Nothing better than Grand final day in Melbourne , especially when the swannies are playing !!!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love the tradition of it being played at the MCG, but I have to admit I wouldn't really mind if it was moved based on ladder position at the end of the regular season.

I would love an AFL grand final in Sydney if two Sydney teams were in it

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    I would love an AFL grand final in Sydney if two Sydney teams were in it
    There's the rub, that came to mind the other day, how rediculous would that be GWS v Sydney GF at the MCG. Is it a national game or not???? They should look to bring it Sydney, maybe something like every 5th year. I think the contract with the MCG is for something rediculous like 20 or 30 years though isn't it? GF week in Sydney would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by floppinab View Post
    There's the rub, that came to mind the other day, how rediculous would that be GWS v Sydney GF at the MCG. Is it a national game or not???? They should look to bring it Sydney, maybe something like every 5th year. I think the contract with the MCG is for something rediculous like 20 or 30 years though isn't it? GF week in Sydney would be fantastic.
    But what if it was say Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda in the grand final in Sydney - surely that is the same problem as GWS vs Sydney at the MCG?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    But what if it was say Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda in the grand final in Sydney - surely that is the same problem as GWS vs Sydney at the MCG?
    True enough but of course we've had non-Melbourne GF's at the MCG before.

And on queue, the NRL appear to looking outside of Sydney

NRL grand final could be on the move from spiritual home of Sydney

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Uruguay v Brazil (1950 FIFA World Cup) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Though Brazil hosted this tournament.

And this :

1984 European Cup Final - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Swans were beaten five times this season.
    In which city did four of those losses happen?

ANZ or MCG for the AFL GF ?
    No contest : MCG by a mile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast