Thread: Where to go Friday night.....

Where to go Friday night.....

We will arrive Friday and then go to the march....any suggestions for places to go to on Friday night that has a swan's flavour. Will there be lots of fans in South Melbourne pubs...any suggestions appreciated

Go to any pub in South Melbourne -the Limerick Arms is good and the Golden Sheath is good too - you will be like minded folk - enjoy and safe travels.

Here's the Titus O'Reilly handy guide to Melbourne.

The good news is Melbourne uses the Australian Dollar just like Sydney. AFL Player trading cards are also legal tender in Melbourne.

A Bryce Gibbs will get you a cup of coffee, while an original Ben Cousins rookie card is often set as a bail requirement.

Melbourne is known as being very expensive but you come from Sydney, where everything is exactly 9.8 per cent more expensive, so won�t notice.

A Guide to Melbourne for Sydney Swans Fans - Titus O'Reily

Thanks for the link SoH, that is a hoot! I love the Myki references (as a Sydney person with two Myki cards from previous visits who has been trying to register them and top them on the impenetrable Myki website). But the very best part is:

"While there�s been a lot made about Sydney having an �unfair advantage� this season, people also hate Hawthorn, so it will even out.

And remember, that �unfair advantage� is due to you using the money you are allowed to use. Damn your effectively run club!"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Here's the Titus O'Reilly handy guide to Melbourne.

The good news is Melbourne uses the Australian Dollar just like Sydney. AFL Player trading cards are also legal tender in Melbourne.

A Bryce Gibbs will get you a cup of coffee, while an original Ben Cousins rookie card is often set as a bail requirement.

Melbourne is known as being very expensive but you come from Sydney, where everything is exactly 9.8 per cent more expensive, so won�t notice.

A Guide to Melbourne for Sydney Swans Fans - Titus O'Reily
    Most excellent!

I'll nominate my two favourite South Melbourne pubs. The Cricketers Club (Clarendon Street - the closest to Lakeside Oval) and The Rising Sun (Cnr Eastern Road and Raglan Street)

I'll be staying in on Friday night but will most likely have a beer at both on the way to the game on Saturday.

But yeah/nuh. Any pub in South Melbourne should take you back to your South Bloods heritage (and there's plenty to choose from).

Please add to the list but in addition to the above two and those mentioned in previous texts, there is ... The Railway, The Wayside Inn, O'Connell's, The Montague, The George, The Bay View (Lamaro's), The Emerald, The River Rat, The Palmerston, The Golden Gate, The Clarendon, The Maori Chief (Bell's), The Town Hall ...

Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed but, as a local, I think I have had a beer in every one of them at some stage.

Where to go Friday night.....

Point of order. The Maori chief isn't Bells and isn't the River Rat the Water rat ( formerly Druids)?
    Don't mean to be a pedant

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Point of order. The Maori chief isn't Bells and isn't the River Rat the Water rat ( formerly Druids)?
    Don't mean to be a pedant
    I stand corrected on both counts.