Thread: What Fans Sit in the AFL Members Section (apart from me)?

What Fans Sit in the AFL Members Section (apart from me)?

Hello all,

After lurking here for ages I finally created an account because I have a question for all you more experienced footy fans.

My Uncle managed to get me a ticket to the grand final because he is an AFL member. Now (I believe) AFL membership is a Melbourne thing so does that mean I am going to be a lonely Swans fan surrounded by thousands of hawks supporters?

On the Rookie List
    AFL Membership is a Melbourne thing but this doesn't necessarily mean that you will be sitting with all Hawthorn supporters. Any person who gets their membership through the AFL is eligible for a Grand Final ticket, consequently there could be Hawthorn, St Kilda, Collingwood etc. supporters, who are going just because it is the Grand Final. Hopefully though those that are there with no connections to the teams playing will be supporting the Swans. Best of luck and Go Swans!!

Veterans List
    I am an AFL member. There are a few swans supporters so it won't be just hawks. The last hawks game there were a lot of swans supporters around me so hopefully they will be there again ????.

Yes and No.

The people sitting in the AFL members will be a large number of Hawthorn supporters, but it will also have a large number of neutrals and other corporates who the AFL has sold packages to.

According to the AFL's 2013 annual report, there are 29996 AFL full members. Each one of them will have the opportunity to purchase a ticket to the GF. Not all take up that opportunity. Silver members with participating club support are next in line, and then all other Silver members. There are in total 816 AFL members who have nominated Sydney as their supporting club. I would expect that the AFL members area would have most of them seated within it, so you wont be on your own. Will be in a minority, but not on your own. Hawthorn by comparison have 3871 AFL members.

A word of warning, the AFL does do random checks on entry into the ground. Membership is not transferrable, and if you are found to be a ticket holder and not the member, the AFL has the power to cancel or suspend the membership. Its a risk that being an AFL member myself, I wont take, but obviously your Uncle is prepared to run that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I am an AFL member. There are a few swans supporters so it won't be just hawks. The last hawks game there were a lot of swans supporters around me so hopefully they will be there again ??.
    There are probably a lot of Swans members though that are just Vic Platinum members, which gets you into the AFL reserve during the season, but which when it comes GF tickets, you get them through the club.

Hopefully there will be some in there to help you both against the Wees & poos fans!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I am an AFL member. There are a few swans supporters so it won't be just hawks. The last hawks game there were a lot of swans supporters around me so hopefully they will be there again ????.
    There are probably a lot of Swans members though that are just Vic Platinum members, which gets you into the AFL reserve during the season, but which when it comes GF tickets, you get them through the club.

Hopefully there will be some in there to help you both against the Wees & poos fans!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

In 2012 I sat in P13 hard up against the dividing fence to the AFL members area. The man on the other side of the divider, so effectively alongside me, was wearing a Geelong scarf. Immediately after the siren, when I was on my feet screaming hysterically, he burst out laughing and then leaned across, shook my hand and congratulated me. So I'm sure there will be some nice neutrals amongst the enemy!

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know the AFL were that serious that they checked tickets and cancelled memberships (I wonder if my Uncle does!).

I feel a little reassured, hopefully I won't be one drop of blood in the middle of a massive puddle of wee and poo.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Posters View Post
    Hello all,

After lurking here for ages I finally created an account because I have a question for all you more experienced footy fans.

My Uncle managed to get me a ticket to the grand final because he is an AFL member. Now (I believe) AFL membership is a Melbourne thing so does that mean I am going to be a lonely Swans fan surrounded by thousands of hawks supporters?
    Heaps will be there.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bill! Glad to see you escaped the law and can go to the GF, have a fun time!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Bill! Glad to see you escaped the law and can go to the GF, have a fun time!
    Oh stop Stella.

Very droll