Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we stoop to the Hawks level and boo a particular player?

Should we stoop to the Hawks level and boo a particular player?

Hypothetically, if we were to choose to boo/taunt a particular player every time they get near the ball to put them off (As the Hawks fans will do for Buddy and Goodes), who would it be?

If it were me, I'd go for Spangher simply because hawks fans adore him so much (Aware that he's a former blood, but meh).
    Last edited by bloodsbigot; 26th September 2014 at 11:00 AM.

Brian Lake.

To be honest though I think booing is pretty pointless except for when a player is going for goal. Either it has no effect or just fires a player up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Brian Lake.

To be honest though I think booing is pretty pointless except for when a player is going for goal. Either it has no effect or just fires a player up.
    I reckon it puts them off if they're the self-conscious type. For outgoing players like Franklin, who's used to the media spotlight, it may fire him up, but for players that like to have no attention and do the job for the team, a few Bronx cheers will have a tremendous effect.

I intend to make plenty of noise tomorrow but largely in support of, and in celebration with, our boys.

It is only the umpires that will cop the boos from me and even then, only if they get something badly wrong that costs us a goal (for or against) or if they are being inconsistent to the favour of Hawthorn.

Of course, if a Hawthorn player does something particularly nasty to one of our boys - such as strangling them - I'll get a little more vocal in the negative.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If a player has done nothing but pull on the opposing team's jumper then booing them is poor form, regardless of whether it is a Hawk or Swan. I'd be disappointed to hear Swans fans doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    If a player has done nothing but pull on the opposing team's jumper then booing them is poor form, regardless of whether it is a Hawk or Swan. I'd be disappointed to hear Swans fans doing it.
    +1. We are better than the rest of the comp in so many ways. Let good sportsmanship remain one of them.

Just wild about Harry
    I am wearing my Swans shirt today and am about to buy my lunch in Glenferrie Rd. I will tell you how many boos I get

Just watched Grand Final Parade in Collins Street. True to form the Hawthorn crowd near me booed Buddy. The Swans fans politely clapped all the Hawthorn players, gave Spangher a bit of a cheer and went wild when the Swans went past. Particularly for Adam & Buddy. And what gives with AFL players genes, they have the most beautiful children ! Macca's little girl is a stunner! (from her Mum I think ).

Veterans List
    Booing Buddy I can understand I have no problem with that. But every time we were mentioned or our song was playing or when Kieran was announced, the hawks around me were booing.

There were some supporters saying they hope Buddy broke his leg getting out of the car. And they were saying very disrespectful things about Jesinta. I don't want to repeat them but it was along the lines that COLA was paying for her. I'm sure you can guess what they were calling her. Very classy.

Opti-pessi-misti
    The only person I would love to have the opportunity to boo would be Sniping Eddie.

Attitudes towards Buddy and the Swans of some Hawks fans as related by you Mel remind me a bit of the jilted lover scenario. I can understand a little bit of the angst in that I don't know how I would feel if an iconic Swan, perhaps someone like Goodesy had swapped over to become the star player for the Hawks tomorrow. It does make a difference, irrational perhaps, that Garry Ablett's 'defection' was to a bottom team. There is just something about the whole situation that doesn't sit well - despite it being great for us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    The only person I would love to have the opportunity to boo would be Sniping Eddie.

Attitudes towards Buddy and the Swans of some Hawks fans as related by you Mel remind me a bit of the jilted lover scenario. I can understand a little bit of the angst in that I don't know how I would feel if an iconic Swan, perhaps someone like Goodesy had swapped over to become the star player for the Hawks tomorrow. It does make a difference, irrational perhaps, that Garry Ablett's 'defection' was to a bottom team. There is just something about the whole situation that doesn't sit well - despite it being great for us.
    Yep the hawks supporters were saying they wouldn't have cared if he went to GWS which is hypocritical. Oh and it was funny hearing them bag his performance in finals.

Their bitterness has increased because we have made the GF. If we win I can only imagine what it will be like!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Booing Buddy I can understand I have no problem with that. But every time we were mentioned or our song was playing or when Kieran was announced, the hawks around me were booing.

There were some supporters saying they hope Buddy broke his leg getting out of the car. And they were saying very disrespectful things about Jesinta. I don't want to repeat them but it was along the lines that COLA was paying for her. I'm sure you can guess what they were calling her. Very classy.

After what I saw in Rd 18, I'm not suprised. There was plenty vitriol and anger in the crowd last night, and sounds like it'll be there tomorrow as well. Lets not stoop to their level and focus on supporting our boys and getting them home. All the better when we help our boys win and they all leave at the final siren and we won't have to put up with it
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast