Page 70 of 156 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes and trade bait

Suspended by the MRP
    [QUOTE=Plugger1300;658622]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    There is a difference between Lake, McEvoy, Frawley and Tippett and Franklin.

Tippett was the biggest deal in AFL football in Adelaide. He was the crows hero who filled the superstar breach between the retirements of Roo and McLoud and the emergence of Danger. Outside of Penny Wong he was probably the best known person in South Australia at the time. It was a great loss for South Australia to lose him.

Sorry Matt but this trolling at the highest level. Tippett was even the crows biggest star let alone the best known person in SA.
    I actually can't comprehend how you able to write this
    Plugger1300, I've sent you a private message with my calm response. Moderators, I was not trying to be a troll, just point forward the differences between Tippett, Franklin and the other Hawks recruits.

Let's keep on the trade speculation of the day.

Thanks guys.

Warming the Bench
    [QUOTE=Matt80;658630]
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post

Plugger1300, I've sent you a private message with my calm response. Moderators, I was not trying to be a troll, just point forward the differences between Tippett, Franklin and the other Hawks recruits.

Let's keep on the trade speculation of the day.

Thanks guys.
    Happy to discuss it privately

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We are also not a club that has traditionally done its contract negotiation in the public domain. As indeed, do few clubs. I'd like to think we've offered Mal at a two year deal. I think he's earned that. But I can understand them being reluctant to offer three, and none of us knows how much money is available in the cap, and what the counter-considerations might be - ie how offering Mal a deal that might tempt him to stay could affect the club's ability to keep someone like Membrey.
    I can see some club offering Mal around $1.5 mil over 3 years, which would certainly put a strain on our salary cap and ability to retain other players. It's hard to see how we could compete with that sort of offer. If we could get a 1st round compo pick, it would seem a good deal all around.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can see some club offering Mal around $1.5 mil over 3 years, which would certainly put a strain on our salary cap and ability to retain other players. It's hard to see how we could compete with that sort of offer. If we could get a 1st round compo pick, it would seem a good deal all around.
    Agree with all that, but I don't agree with your earlier statement that we have to ability to cover his position. We do have players waiting in line who could play in defence, but I don't think any of them will come close to matching to what he has produced over the past 2.5 years. If he goes we'll miss him immensely.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    McKenna has been sacked from GCFC. Who knows where those discussions with Malceski lie.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Agree with all that, but I don't agree with your earlier statement that we have to ability to cover his position. We do have players waiting in line who could play in defence, but I don't think any of them will come close to matching to what he has produced over the past 2.5 years. If he goes we'll miss him immensely.
    Agree...he is one of our most important players and is often criminally underrated by Swans fans.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Malceski is a great player but will he be $500k worth of great in 2017? Somehow I don't think so and it's an especially big risk given his age and injury history.

By all means, offer him two years and give him an opportunity to finish his career with the Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I didn't mean to give the impression that he wouldn't be missed. I'm a tremendous fan of Mal's and would rank him in the top 3 or 4 players at the club and rate him the best HBF in the game.

But taking into account his age, his somewhat higher than average injury risk (given 3 recos), the salary cap issues and potential draft compensation, if true, his loss would be offset by a combination of these factors.

Losing the best HBF in the game is going to hurt to some extent, but I do think we have some excellent options to fill the void. McVeigh can slot right in. He doesn't have the dash of Mal, but is a reliable kick and good reader of the play; we have players in waiting to fill his spot in the midfield. Rampe is faster than Mal and has improved his kicking efficiency this year; moving Reid to defence could free him up more for a rebounding role. If Rohan can iron out his inconsistencies, he's another who can provide rebound from defence. Biggs has a lot of Mal's qualities and can hopefully continue to improve with experience; he didn't look out of place in the seniors. Mal also took years to gradually build to become the AA player we saw this year.

Another factor is that I wouldn't want to lose Mal, Ted and Reg all in one year. If we can settle the backline without Mal next year, perhaps the transition in our defence can be spread out over several years.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Agree...he is one of our most important players and is often criminally underrated by Swans fans.
    +1.
    And he was one of the few that stood up on Poo Saturday.
    I wish he was staying, Shaw retiring/coaching and Biggs given a chance.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Goes up to 11
    With free agency now a reality, every club needs to accept that there will be players who can leave of their own volition to chase a better deal elsewhere. Free agents are deemed to deserve it after giving service to a club. In Mal's case, after what he's been through and what he's brought to our team over the years, he deserves to determine the rest of his footy destiny. I think the club realises this and whilst I wouldn't be happy to see him go, I'd wish him well.

I also think he'd be a really good fit for the GC and he'd do a great job helping some of their youngsters develop.

Just wild about Harry
    I'm very impressed with the tone in RWO when discussing Eski's imminent departure. We are all grateful of his service and wishing him all the best in the future. I also suspect that he will be applauded by Swans fans when we play against him in future. This is such a far cry from the supporters of other clubs.

If Mark Thompson goes to GC, I reckon Mal will almost definitely go. Team on the rise, great coach, lots of money and 3 years...Very tempting you'd think.

As for his replacement...From our present list I'd say Biggs, he looks a fine player to me. He was thrown in at the deep end last year and played really well.

Otherwise, if we trade someone in, Shaun Higgins could be a handy addition as a HBF.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT