Page 2 of 156 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes and trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    Wow, you must be visiting from some parallel universe

People, especially journalists, make up stories on a regular basis, just some more than others. The only constraint is whether or not they'll get caught out.
    It's not so much made-up stories as hacks allowing themselves to be used by their contacts, in particular player agents, and extrapolating wildly. And it's almost always the News Ltd hacks - Fairfax doesn't waste it's time on beating up rumours. Plus, because there's so much noise around AFL that there's incredible amount of uninformed commentary. Ryder's a free agent (?) and I'm sure his people have chatted to the Swans and half a dozen other teams. That's all it ever was. There's no-one credible saying anything definitive on the record, so you can you ignore it.

On Mitchell, you hear directly from Horse's mouth that he's contracted to the end of next year. End of. I'd be confident the Swans will pay him whatever it takes to him stay - he's a ten-year player, potentially top ten B&F every year.

As I've posted elsewhere I'm getting my AFL news from Titus O'Reilly now. It's only marginally less accurate and makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    Wow, you must be visiting from some parallel universe

People, especially journalists, make up stories on a regular basis, just some more than others. The only constraint is whether or not they'll get caught out.

Regarding Adam Goodes playing on, all that really matters is whether there's a good chance he'll be in our best 22 next year. If he's fit and committed, I don't think there's any doubt he'll be a permanent member of the senior side.

If he decides to play on, then the club seems confident he'll be a genuine asset, providing he stays fit. But then he's probably been only a major injury away from retirement for the past 3 or 4 seasons.
    in my experience they dont make up stories. they get the wrong end of the stick plenty of the time and they can write opinion pieces disguised as fact pieces, but if you are writing for a reputable paper they dont make them up. they go on a source which may not be right or might be misleading or might not know things properly. but they almost never "make up stories". making up stories is what gets them fired.

that is to say the ones that i have known (and i have known them in the political environment as well as the sporting environment) usually have a source telling them something. as i say that may be because the source is trying to get something themselves etc...

i think you should assume that there are a number of melbourne clubs who are looking closely at the swans list to see whether players can be prised away for better offers.

A reputable paper? Does such a thing exist?
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Goes up to 11
    All clubs should be looking at every other club's lists at this stage of the year. It's what we've done so well in the past....

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    in my experience they dont make up stories. they get the wrong end of the stick plenty of the time and they can write opinion pieces disguised as fact pieces, but if you are writing for a reputable paper they dont make them up. they go on a source which may not be right or might be misleading or might not know things properly. but they almost never "make up stories". making up stories is what gets them fired.

that is to say the ones that i have known (and i have known them in the political environment as well as the sporting environment) usually have a source telling them something. as i say that may be because the source is trying to get something themselves etc...

i think you should assume that there are a number of melbourne clubs who are looking closely at the swans list to see whether players can be prised away for better offers.
    Mark Robinson, Grant Thomas & Damien Barrett definitely make up stories. Barrett broke the Mitchell thing to destabilise us for his mate Eddie. He thinks a few rumours of players being pissed off over the Buddy deal will destabilise the club and our finals momentum will falter. He did the same thing when he broke the Malceski rumour. Mal has not talked to any other club, his management might have but he hasn't and Barrett insisted he had. Gary Lyon took him to task over it on their AFL.com show. He told him to stop telling Porkies. Some of the Melbourne media are sniping at the Swans because the teams they barrack for are not doing as well as they want. Two of them barrack for Cats, one for Pies and one for Carlton. There is another who barracks for the Hawks that has said some very nasty things about us lately too.

Veterans List
    The Mitchell story is a classic case of lazy and stupid journalism. They were saying Mitchell was unhappy he wasn't in the seniors and wanted out, we all knew he was battling injuries.

The only player I can think that we've lost but probably wanted to keep is Mumford. He was just too expensive in the end with the Buddy coup we had cooking.

So if we really want to keep them we probably will. Malceski is a special case in that he will be looking for three years, we'll only want to give two, plus he can probably squeeze another 100-150K out of a Melbourne club over that three years. Unless GWS strike gold again like they did with Lamb :-)

Player movements ????

All I'm reading here is,"look at me", irrelevant cringeworthy crap.

Yet another hijacking of a thread.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Just on Goodsie. I get the one year too many, for some players, and that they may want to go out on a high.
    I dare say if I was a player at the end of an illustrious career, I'd probably want to go out knowing that I'd given all I could, and either my body wouldn't take any more, or it wouldn't let me perform well enough to play on. Then I'd leave, with no shame, knowing that I'd done all that I could.
    If I left feeling like I could do another year, I may regret that.

So long as the Swans can come to a financial deal beneficial to both parties, I see no reason Goodsie shouldn't do another year if that's what he wants.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Player movements ????

All I'm reading here is,"look at me", irrelevant cringeworthy crap.

Yet another hijacking of a thread.
    The off topic posts have been moved to a new thread in the Sandpit. Next time I'll just delete them.

Can we all please try not to take a thread off topic quite so blatantly. If you see it is about to start, post what you are going to post in a separate thread in an appropriate forum.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The off topic posts have been moved to a new thread in the Sandpit. Next time I'll just delete them.

Can we all please try not to take a thread off topic quite so blatantly. If you see it is about to start, post what you are going to post in a separate thread in an appropriate forum.
    Sorry Liz. Fair call. I was asked where had I been for a week and I told people I had been on holiday. People then bantered along with me and I got off topic.

Sometimes my natural enthusiasm gets the better of me. I did not mean to drag the thread into a chat about holiday destinations. If people want to banter with me and I can sense the conversation is about to get off topic, can I invite Red and White community to join me in the Matt80 section of the sandpit?

I'm sorry.

Senior Player
    "You can bet clubs will look at his limitations during the off season, ie : lack of acceleration, agility, and long kicking... and will devise ways to exploit him."

Did anyone else notice Adams lack of agility last week when he sold a couple of wonderful dummies that had defenders grasping at air?
    I feel that a legend of the game in the forward pocket with so much accumulated footy nous will continue to add value for another year. What these type of players lack physically they compensate for mentally and seem to be able to find shortcuts on the field. With experience comes cunning.