Page 3 of 156 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes and trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    in my experience they dont make up stories. they get the wrong end of the stick plenty of the time and they can write opinion pieces disguised as fact pieces, but if you are writing for a reputable paper they dont make them up. they go on a source which may not be right or might be misleading or might not know things properly. but they almost never "make up stories". making up stories is what gets them fired.

that is to say the ones that i have known (and i have known them in the political environment as well as the sporting environment) usually have a source telling them something. as i say that may be because the source is trying to get something themselves etc...

i think you should assume that there are a number of melbourne clubs who are looking closely at the swans list to see whether players can be prised away for better offers.
    I believe you are dead wrong. I don't believe that there was ever even ONE credible source regarding Buddy throwing a spanner in the cohesion of the playing group. What happened was that some Mario from Doncaster rang SEN and said that he reckoned etc...etc..etc... and then journalists with a newspaper that has a reputation for not telling the truth (News Limited) write pieces saying "there are rumours that blah, blah, blah.." but they don't actually write that they have a strong source. What happens is that retired players in the media who are not journalists, then say on TV "I've heard very strongly on the grapevine...blah, blah, blah..." but actually all that they have heard is their friends quoting the rumour in the paper which is quoting Mario from Doncaster!!!!

If you don't believe that this sort of thing happens then check out these 2 fun facts

1) No white tail spider has EVER caused a necrotic reaction
    2) No mobile phone has EVER ignited at a petrol station

Have fun

To save you the trouble of looking it up....in 1986 an article in a Queensland medical journal was looking at a necrotic reaction and mentioned in passing that possibly it was a spider bite. The news limited paper then ran the story as "White Tail Spiders can cause your hands to die and be chopped off." It ended up being written in reputable encyclopedias and the like. Finally someone actually did research (you know, like, science) which included more than 100 voluntary bites.

Static electricity caused by vinyl seats and and person not earthing themselves (ie grabbing on to the roof of the car as you get out) has caused many explosions at petrol stations over the years. In 2 of these the person was also on the phone. It is not physically POSSIBLE for a phone to ignite petrol fumes....totally busted on Mythbusters. From memory they ended up putting 50 phones (with live talk signal) a few cms above an open drum of petrol and they still couldn't make enough charge to cause static.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Just wild about Harry
    I tend to agree. There are now more accredited AFL journalists than there are players so people have to start looking for a story. A speculative "what if?" becomes a rumour which clubs and players are then forced to defend. Tom Mitchell is contracted and happy at the Swans but the media continues to speculate for as long as they can get mileage or of it then they will move on. They are much like a plague of soldier ants who will swarm a victim (innocent or not) then move on to the next victim leaving a stripped carcass behind. There is no accountability and little remorse for the shattered lives they can leave behind.
    Oh, and I think the mobile phone thing at service stations is a distraction issue while filling up, not a fire issue.

Anyone that believes Journalists are honest are like people that think horse/dog racing is clean.......

Papers make sensationalist stuff up all the time - that's how they get silly people to buy their dribble! Look at the Daily Mail with the 'Buddy and 2 friends' story earlier in the year!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Tell that to the servo attendant in Benalla who screamed hysterically at me to move away when I answered my phone as I was filling up. He didn't stop until I was 30 metres from the pump.
    yeah - i had a stand up argument at my local :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I tend to agree. There are now more accredited AFL journalists than there are players so people have to start looking for a story. A speculative "what if?" becomes a rumour which clubs and players are then forced to defend. Tom Mitchell is contracted and happy at the Swans but the media continues to speculate for as long as they can get mileage or of it then they will move on. They are much like a plague of soldier ants who will swarm a victim (innocent or not) then move on to the next victim leaving a stripped carcass behind. There is no accountability and little remorse for the shattered lives they can leave behind.
    Oh, and I think the mobile phone thing at service stations is a distraction issue while filling up, not a fire issue.
    No , it's not a distraction thing...at my local they were given a big lecture by the petrol supplier (Ampol) and told that their franchise could be revoked if they didn't uphold these "safety standards."
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Getting things back on track, did anyone hear Ryan's interview on ABC radio today where he apparently said today was his last game at the SCG in red & white?

Won't bother getting back into earlier discussion, but did listen to interview on 774 with rok. He implied very strongly there was no chance of him getting a game farewell or otherwise. Was asked whether he would play on next year and said he was still considering his position. Said the game was ruthless but that horse had never spoken to him about a farewell game and said he was disappointed but said the team obviously wanted to keep form going. Said Mitchell not playing ones because his body has been a real problem. Happy to be teaching the young guys in the twos (although I would say that happy wasn't the word which came to my mind listening to it) and pretty happy with his own form.

Was the interview of a professional. Wasn't going to publicly bag club or coach but kind of behind each comment was a sense of unhappiness.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by SA Swan View Post
    Getting things back on track, did anyone hear Ryan's interview on ABC radio today where he apparently said today was his last game at the SCG in red & white?
    Unless he was planning to be on our list next year he was never going to play again at the SCG. For all the players, tonight was their 2014 SCG farewell.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I agree, ROK came across as very disappointed. Being 'fare-welled' from the SCG through a ressies guard of honor seemed strange and not a very fitting way to finish up such a great footy career with the Swans. The thing is, he hasn't yet made a decision to retire or move on. All a bit odd!

I really hope that somehow he gets one last game with the seniors. Despite all the arguments against 'gifting' him a game I am sure he wouldn't be any worse than Goodesy, Shaw and Hanners have been coming in after injury lay offs! I think it contributes to the culture of the club too to show respect for someone in his position if it is at all possible especially after Jude's big send off. It would be great to see him being carried off the field for the last time by his senior buddies.

The whole ROK situation is very odd indeed. I wonder if he was given a new role, which he couldn't fulfil. Maybe those first 4 rounds that he played probably failed in the new role (whatever that was) and never managed to return into the senior side. There is definitely a communication breakdown between ROK and Longmire.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I agree, ROK came across as very disappointed. Being 'fare-welled' from the SCG through a ressies guard of honor seemed strange and not a very fitting way to finish up such a great footy career with the Swans. The thing is, he hasn't yet made a decision to retire or move on. All a bit odd!

I really hope that somehow he gets one last game with the seniors. Despite all the arguments against 'gifting' him a game I am sure he wouldn't be any worse than Goodesy, Shaw and Hanners have been coming in after injury lay offs! I think it contributes to the culture of the club too to show respect for someone in his position if it is at all possible especially after Jude's big send off. It would be great to see him being carried off the field for the last time by his senior buddies.
    I agree with you. It's all getting a bit awkward.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    The whole ROK situation is very odd indeed. I wonder if he was given a new role, which he couldn't fulfil. Maybe those first 4 rounds that he played probably failed in the new role (whatever that was) and never managed to return into the senior side. There is definitely a communication breakdown between ROK and Longmire.
    I think the John Longmire system has evolved this year compared to 2013. There are now less slower paced inside midfielders and more electric, hard tackling outside run players. Think about the number of games that Cunningham, Towers, Lloyd, Rohan and B.Jack have now played in 2014. Last year ROK and Mitchell would have played instead of those electric guys. It's a change of system and ROK would understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think the John Longmire system has evolved this year compared to 2013. There are now less slower paced inside midfielders and more electric, hard tackling outside run players. Think about the number of games that Cunningham, Towers, Lloyd, Rohan and B.Jack have now played in 2014. Last year ROK and Mitchell would have played instead of those electric guys. It's a change of system and ROK would understand that.
    This "system" that you speak of also includes not playing injured plates until they are match fit & fully recovered, regardless of pace ... and Mitchell would understand that.

& I don't think Mitchell is moving anywhere but ROK sadly will be (just to steer this post back on topic of "player movement")
    Last edited by goswannies; 17th August 2014 at 08:53 AM.