Page 5 of 156 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes and trade bait

I'm not in the "give ROK one last game" camp unless he is required due to injuries. But in any case surely the players can't carry him off unless he announces his retirement? Otherwise perhaps they should carry Malceski off just in case he goes somewhere else next season.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Yes, therein lies one of the problems!! I suspect ROK is holding out to see if anyone is prepared to give him another year. The chances of don't look great but he won't know for sure until after the end of the season.

Veteran Site Admin
    If neither Bird nor JPK is able to take their place in the team next week I'd think ROK would definitely be in the mix. He and Mitchell are the obvious candidates, but Mitchell only just played his first full reserves game after his latest short injury lay-off.

Smith will come back in for Kennedy or Bird should the miss out through injury.

Senior Player
    Player Movement.. Todd Goldstein, anyone? From my, albeit brief, research he is yet to re-sign.
    C'mon Chels!

Saw on AFL 360 tonight that Roosy said at his press conference that pick 2 could definitely be on the table again. Now at the risk of being ridiculed a la Matt80, does anyone think that there is a possibility that 1: we might offer up a Tom Mitchell and maybe Malceski for the pick #2 and 2: do you think they'd take it?

Now I rate Tom as much as the next person and think he's a potential superstar, but we have a very strong midfield with more talent to come on through and a trade like this will free up plenty of cash plus add to our list another young elite talent.

Possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Saw on AFL 360 tonight that Roosy said at his press conference that pick 2 could definitely be on the table again. Now at the risk of being ridiculed a la Matt80, does anyone think that there is a possibility that 1: we might offer up a Tom Mitchell and maybe Malceski for the pick #2 and 2: do you think they'd take it?

Now I rate Tom as much as the next person and think he's a potential superstar, but we have a very strong midfield with more talent to come on through and a trade like this will free up plenty of cash plus add to our list another young elite talent.

Possibility?
    Nope. Malceski is a free agent, so it can't happen. I won't ridicule you about including Mitchell, but will say more generally that the endless speculation without foundation does us as a club even less favours than it does to Tom. Had he spent a year full fit in the reserves then it would be a different matter. He hasn't, and others have gotten in ahead of him. There's no doubt, however, that a fully fit Tom Mitchell is in our best XXII, which is a position the club has reiterated endlessly. They would love to have him in there, but not at the expense of someone who is, presently, fitter and more deserving.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Goes up to 11
    If we did get pick 2 or another top 5 pick by trading, and a team above us bids for Heeney, are we then forced to give up that pick for Heeney instead of our pick 18 or whatever it ends up being?

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post

Possibility?
    I don't think either you or Matt80 should be ridiculed about raising this subject as I think there are valid reasons why your suggestion is certainly possible.

1. Although Malceski is a indeed a free agent, it would be of value to Melbourne to include him in a trade if Frawley leaves Melbourne as a free agent. If Malceski is taken as a free agent that would reduce the compensation that Melbourne would receive for Frawley.
    2. There is not doubt that Mitchell is a player of potential star quality. But due to the fact that the Swans have drafted well in recent years (Cunningham, Lloyd, Jones, Hewett) and have another 3 top rated midfielders on the way in Heeney, Dunkley and Mills. There simply is no way to fit all of them into to the senior team, so it's logical to believe that at least one quality player will need to be traded. The reason that Mitchell's name keeps popping up is that everyone knows he's a quality player and he's probably not going to make our finals team.

I certainly think it would be a great deal for Melbourne. With pick 2 we would land a quality KPP prospect in exchange for a top rated midfielder, which helps a bit with team balance, and would afford some salary cap relief.

A lot of things would have to come together for such a thing to come off, including things that we as outsiders are unlikely to be privy to. Mitchell is under contract and Malceski may not want to spend his last few years not playing finals. So I think it's doubtful, but certainly a possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    If we did get pick 2 or another top 5 pick by trading, and a team above us bids for Heeney, are we then forced to give up that pick for Heeney instead of our pick 18 or whatever it ends up being?
    No. The picks committed for FS and academy players is decided before the trade period begins.

Would hate to lose Mitchell as he is a gun.
    Also thinking that other interested clubs if there really are any may not be willing to take the risk in investing in an injury prone player.
    Just need to look at what has happened to Dale Thomas at Carlton where they may now be regretting the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by albrotha View Post
    Would hate to lose Mitchell as he is a gun.
    Also thinking that other interested clubs if there really are any may not be willing to take the risk in investing in an injury prone player.
    Just need to look at what has happened to Dale Thomas at Carlton where they may now be regretting the transfer.
    If Mitchell is injury prone, shouldn't we want to move him on to another club? If other clubs don't want him because he's always injured, then perhaps we shouldn't either.

It is the dumbest idea I have ever heard in football. Why would you give up a player who you know will be a gun for the next Jack Watts, Josh Fraser.

You should be ridiculed for being obviously stupid. No intelligent person would do it