Page 1 of 156 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes and trade bait

List changes and trade bait

The rumours that Tom Mitchell is looking to move to either Carlton or St Kilda are gaining momentum even though he is contracted until the end of 2016. what gets me is nobody has bothered to ask the player, his management or father if he is interested in his contract being paid out by another club.

There is now a rumour again on SEN that Brandon Jack is looking elsewhere for a birth. BJ is contracted until the end of 2015. why his name was mentioned is beyond me. He has another two years to go on his degree yet. He is a Sydney boy and is enjoying his footy as far as I can see. The only deconstruction I have for young BJ is when you go for the ball don't just use pace time your run with precision & if you are going to deliver make sure the delivery is exact!

The third player who is supposed to be looking for a contract at another club is Nick Malceski. This may be the one they get right. Mal will definitely leave if we win the premiership and even if we don't his monetary value might just be too much for us to pay anyway. So Melbourne, St Kilda, Pies & Bullies might just swoop. I think no matter what Nick is lost to us as I don't think we can retain him under our current salary cap.

wolfie if they say 5 players are leaving they may get one right or none !

shotgun journalism
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

There is an element of truth to theses rumours. I am sure that BJ and TM are not the players but we will let some guys go to other clubs who are likely to be pretty good, I.e. Lockyer.

Barry Mitchell was on SEN for an hour yesterday.

One player who will be at the Swans next year is Goodesy..

According to this report...No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au.

I'm sure plenty will disagree with me, but I think it's a classic case of '1 year too many'.

I would love to see him go out in style.

You can bet clubs will look at his limitations during the off season, ie : lack of acceleration, agility, and long kicking... and will devise ways to exploit him.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Goodsey is an interesting one, I agree that next year could be 1 year too many, and I wouldnt want him to be taking up a spot in the best 22 that could be used for developing a kid ie Membrey. I cant see Goodes continue and only play 2's ie ROK.

Barry Mitchel (his dad) was on Marngrook a few weeks ago. He strongly implied he was very happy at the swans.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by tasswan View Post
    Goodsey is an interesting one, I agree that next year could be 1 year too many, and I wouldnt want him to be taking up a spot in the best 22 that could be used for developing a kid ie Membrey. I cant see Goodes continue and only play 2's ie ROK.

If Goodes wants to go, then the Swans should grant that request. He can still bring so much to the table. If Goodes shows up next year and Membrey gets ahead of him, then Membrey will play. Goodes will know with what?s happened with ROK that Longmire will make tough calls on older players.

Membrey will need to have a better preseason than Goodes to get ahead. Goodes will need to stay ahead of Membrey. It will be a fascinating pre-season battle and you would hope that Membrey goes up two levels in trying to take Goodes?s spot.

I think the trading of BJ is unlikely. Longmire loves his elite spend and his tackling. His brother is captain of the club and he is an academy player. His trade value would not be high at this stage despite the fact that he is young.

I won?t mention Mitchell or I?ll be sent to the naughty corner.

It suits that the Club wants Adam to play on and Adam says that he wants to play on as that sends the right message about where the club is at - would not want the rest of this season to be about "Adams Swansong" which is the game the media would love to play especially with him being Australian of the Year and the associated booing that is becoming the norm outside of Sydney

I think it's traditional at this stage of the season for AFL hacks to start typing in random names.

I find this dismissal of journalists from swans fans curiously similar to the views of a lot of labor party supporters i knew in both 2010 and 2013 when gillard knocked off rudd and then rudd knocked off gillard. No they would say (the labor party supporters) no this is just all the media making up stories.

Well I am sorry to say this but the noise that exists exists for a reason. People don't just make up stories. It is quite possible that clubs such as st kilda and carlton (and i would be amazed if west coast isnt seriously pursuing our wa boys including mitchell) are backgrounding journalists saying we would like to get a good inside midfielder and we are looking at clubs where they exist and dont seem to be getting a game. If an offer is made that cant be refused then it will happen, contract or no, satisfaction with the club or not.

I personally would be encouraging adam to stop at the end of this year. He is a really great 6ft 4 crumber and he can still run in a straight line real quick once he gets going. His delivery is ually pretty good and he is chipping in with a couple of goals a game. But he is lazy defensively and always ordering players to cover his man. He is making a decent contest in a marking contest 3-5 times a game which often ensures the ball goes to ground. But he doesnt have a great turning circle and his tackling is pretty poor. In short he has to play as a tall not as a small. But if tippett is already doing exactly the same thing it really does effect us.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    People don't just make up stories.
    Wow, you must be visiting from some parallel universe

People, especially journalists, make up stories on a regular basis, just some more than others. The only constraint is whether or not they'll get caught out.

Regarding Adam Goodes playing on, all that really matters is whether there's a good chance he'll be in our best 22 next year. If he's fit and committed, I don't think there's any doubt he'll be a permanent member of the senior side.

If he decides to play on, then the club seems confident he'll be a genuine asset, providing he stays fit. But then he's probably been only a major injury away from retirement for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    If Goodes wants to go, then the Swans should grant that request. He can still bring so much to the table. If Goodes shows up next year and Membrey gets ahead of him, then Membrey will play. Goodes will know with what?s happened with ROK that Longmire will make tough calls on older players.

Membrey will need to have a better preseason than Goodes to get ahead. Goodes will need to stay ahead of Membrey. It will be a fascinating pre-season battle and you would hope that Membrey goes up two levels in trying to take Goodes?s spot.

I think the trading of BJ is unlikely. Longmire loves his elite spend and his tackling. His brother is captain of the club and he is an academy player. His trade value would not be high at this stage despite the fact that he is young.

I won?t mention Mitchell or I?ll be sent to the naughty corner.
    Well said Matt80, except for that last bit.

Page 1 of 156 123451151101 ... LastLast