Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patrick Smith eviscerates Bloods culture

On the Rookie List
    Completely overblown. Culture doesn't get created or destroyed by one performance.
    He was spot on with aspects of the game though. We were absolutely awful on Saturday. My 6 month old would have got more of the ball than Lewis Jetta.

I was waxing philosophical yesterday trying to find a silver lining but the more people at work ask me about what happened the more irate I've gotten.

The players are custodians of this great club and they let it and themselves down badly.

Hopefully the pain of this will drive them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Completely overblown. Culture doesn't get created or destroyed by one performance.
    He was spot on with aspects of the game though. We were absolutely awful on Saturday. My 6 month old would have got more of the ball than Lewis Jetta.
    This is more than just about about playing badly. It's about effort and intensity. Why in the biggest game were most of our blokes not showing these traits. The bloods culture would have ensured that the finger got pulled out after qtr time and while we may have still been beaten at least we could have held our heads up today and not feel shame.

I'm not writing off the culture but the test of it will be how this group responds to this debacle. Do they go down the Hawks path and work their bums off to atone or do they fall apart like Port after 2007. Time will tell.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Not only did we lose the granny, we've lost the RESPECT of everyone else.

They "used" to think we were a pack of hard-working cortinas and respected us for our efforts ... now we're just the bondi billionaires who spent all our COLA money.

No respect.
    That had happened before Saturday unfortunately. Do you think we would have been respected by the general public if we won? I'd guess 'no' if social media and the spoutings of Eddie are anything to go by.

The team have been humiliated. That happens sometimes in sport, even in the biggest games. It now all comes down to how they can learn from the experience and do what that have to do to win the while damn thing next year.

I never want to hear lines like "the boys have got to enjoy this week; it's the best week of your life" etc, or even the "we're sticking to our routines" in the week leading into a gf. Even before the game, when the Swans boys walked out onto the ground it looked like they were joshing and exuding an air of 'how good is this?'. By contrast, the Hawks were furrowed brow, intense, game-faced two hours before the bounce. We brought a knife to a gun fight.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    At least now we know how Brazil feels.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

When they were walking up and down Chapel Street on Friday arvo after the parade, they looked relaxed and chilled.
    I DID mention to Sam, Luke and Craig that this is a big game and not to think for one second that the Hawks are easybeats.
    I told them that I didn't like going in as favourites as it was making me very uncomfortable.
    They didn't listen.
    Bloody kids.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

So true O'Reilly. Was thinking the same today. I hate the old 'we are just telling the guys to enjoy the week' etc. I know it's probably selfish of me having not been in their place but screw that. Enjoy your work after your job is done. I remember a quote from an old player saying as such. Hawks just looked like they had one job at hand. Complete tunnel vision. I'm still so disappointed as the players obviously are too. Bizarre is a great word to use. Never thought I would see that performance from this team in a GF. I feel like we have lost something. The media will keep bringing this one up and there is only one way this can be fixed. 2015. Bring it on. So much to work on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12