Thread: What do the Swans mean to you?

Warming the Bench

What do the Swans mean to you?

This is what our great club means to me http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/what-...b-means-to-me/

What about you?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    This is what our great club means to me http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/what-...b-means-to-me/

What about you?
    It's too much,too personal for me to answer here.
    Let alone putting it into print,I have only once even voiced my thoughts on this,to one person.And even then,I only gave a small part of the reason.
    That will remain so until my dying day.

I will leave it at this - and this is very,very understated : The Sydney Swans SMFC means one heck of a lot to me.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    It's too much,too personal for me to answer here.
    Let alone putting it into print,I have only once even voiced my thoughts on this,to one person.And even then,I only gave a small part of the reason.
    That will remain so until my dying day.

I will leave it at this - and this is very,very understated : The Sydney Swans SMFC means one heck of a lot to me.
    Well put Swansinger. I am sure your sentiments are shared by others. I could've gone on and on....saved some of my innermost thoughts for myself too.

My other family. My boys, not a fluffy statement, they are My Boys. I watch them arrive all pink cheeked, I watch them develop, I watch them become men, become smart/educated, get girlfriends, get married, have kids, break their hearts when they leave, and a bit of me goes with them. I get to yell at them, growl invective, praise them, cheer them on, and I do it in the company of mostly like minded fellows. I do care if they have a booboo on their finger. I do care if they can't get it right. I do care if they soar. Why? They are my other family.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    My other family. My boys, not a fluffy statement, they are My Boys. I watch them arrive all pink cheeked, I watch them develop, I watch them become men, become smart/educated, get girlfriends, get married, have kids, break their hearts when they leave, and a bit of me goes with them. I get to yell at them, growl invective, praise them, cheer them on, and I do it in the company of mostly like minded fellows. I do care if they have a booboo on their finger. I do care if they can't get it right. I do care if they soar. Why? They are my other family.
    Just beautiful, Primmy. I do like to think that we are a most caring club.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I saw this thread and I just had to post. It's very close to my heart and my family's heart. Recently, I've intentionally hidden from any online social contact and, in fact, any 'real life' contact with great friends. It has nothing to do with the disappointing Grand Final defeat and everything to do with my family, in particular my father who passed on his 'red and white passion' to his sons and in turn to his grandchildren. This is a man that taught me loyalty, kindness, generosity of spirit, a strong work ethic and the ability to stay positive in adversity. This is a man that has followed this club for 80 years and has never steered away, even after so many years of mediocrity. A man who continued to take his sons to the lakeside oval even during a string of 29 consecutive losses in 1972 and 1973. A man who taught me to keep working hard and good things will come. The same man I had to tell that he had terminal cancer the day after the Grand Final defeat. It put things in perspective quickly. My father also suffers from Alzheimer's. I told him the truth and that we lost the Grand Final. His response "Did we son?" Alzheimer's will be my friend. Why? Some of the last words that he will hear very soon will be "We won Dad". He deserves to go out on the very high.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    Well, I saw this thread and I just had to post. It's very close to my heart and my family's heart. Recently, I've intentionally hidden from any online social contact and, in fact, any 'real life' contact with great friends. It has nothing to do with the disappointing Grand Final defeat and everything to do with my family, in particular my father who passed on his 'red and white passion' to his sons and in turn to his grandchildren. This is a man that taught me loyalty, kindness, generosity of spirit, a strong work ethic and the ability to stay positive in adversity. This is a man that has followed this club for 80 years and has never steered away, even after so many years of mediocrity. A man who continued to take his sons to the lakeside oval even during a string of 29 consecutive losses in 1972 and 1973. A man who taught me to keep working hard and good things will come. The same man I had to tell that he had terminal cancer the day after the Grand Final defeat. It put things in perspective quickly. My father also suffers from Alzheimer's. I told him the truth and that we lost the Grand Final. His response "Did we son?" Alzheimer's will be my friend. Why? Some of the last words that he will hear very soon will be "We won Dad". He deserves to go out on the very high.
    That is an incredible story, MightyBloods. Thank you so much for sharing. Your father sounds like an incredibly warm and loving man. Not to mention courageous. I'm very moved and a little shaken actually, just reading about your father and the tough times that you are going through. I am sure everybody on RWO wishes you and your family all the best and all the support that we can give. Here's to a true heart and soul Bloods man.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    That is an incredible story, MightyBloods. Thank you so much for sharing. Your father sounds like an incredibly warm and loving man. Not to mention courageous. I'm very moved and a little shaken actually, just reading about your father and the tough times that you are going through. I am sure everybody on RWO wishes you and your family all the best and all the support that we can give. Here's to a true heart and soul Bloods man.
    Plus one very moving story and all power to you MightyBloods and your family.
    Glad that his perseverance patience passion and pride were rewarded over the last few years .

Warming the Bench
    Come on RWO....Tell your stories guys....It feels good!

I now have a tear in my eye

What do the Swans mean to me?

Every moment in my life, high or low, I attach a Swans moment to it or is it the other way around? In other words, I am what I am, partly because the SMFC/Sydney Swans exist.

hhhmmmm

i may need some counselling after all ?

I tend to think that the Swans represent the following to me:

1. a sport to to participate in when I am not really participating - i am just watching these days?

2. a voice on a subject that only people at the game, swans supporters and or people on this forum care about ?

3. It is distinctally possible that no one really exists on this forum and my lust for conversing about my dearly beloved swans is a figment of my imgaination - plse show me you are real and not just friends in my head ?????

4. beyond all......... an opportunity to voice my opinion and maybe just maybe........ a deep ebb like lust to be right ............most of the time ?

i-m-not-arguing-i-m-simply-explaining-why-i-m-right-1.png
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"