Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition for more transparancy and accountability in AFL administration

Nice work fj.

Veterans List
    Titus O'Reilly: AFL explains the reasons behind restrictions on the Swans - Titus O'Reily
    AFL explains the reasons behind restrictions on the Swans

The AFL Commission has placed restrictions on the Sydney Swans regarding trading and recruiting free agents.
    These restrictions are part of the phasing out of the �Cost of Living Allowance,� often referred to as �COLA�
    The Cost of Living Allowance means the Swans are required to pay an additional 9.8 per cent of the salary cap to all players to compensate for the higher cost of living in Sydney.
    The Cost of Living Allowance will be phased out and replaced in 2017.
    What are we doing?
    The AFL has informed the Sydney Swans that they cannot trade players into their club in the next two years unless they want to bring an immediate end to the Cost of Living Allowance.
    The club will also be unable to lure restricted or unrestricted free agents before the end of 2017.
    Why are we doing it?
    There are several important reasons of varying degrees of logic behind this decision.
    Massive over-correction
    We really went a bit far with this Cost of Living stuff.
    The Cost of Living Allowance allowed Sydney a bit of an advantage to other clubs.
    It became pretty unpopular and we felt the need to get things back on an even keel.
    Of course, like anyone that feels like they�ve made a bit of a mistake and are a bit embarrassed by it, we have massively overcorrected the situation.
    Like when you forget your girlfriend�s birthday and make it up to her by upsizingher meal the next time you are at McDonalds. You even eat in. No drive thru this time.
    Eddie McGuire
    Have you ever had Eddie bang on at you for years? Well yes, of course you have, so you know what it�s like.
    After a while you just want it to stop. You would do anything in your power to just stop the noise.
    This should really do the trick. For a few days at least until he gets a bee in his bonnet about something else.
    Precedent
    Following the rules of the AFL and its policies is no protection from arbitrary decisions.
    Not long ago we fined Melbourne for being found not guilty of tanking.
    Now everyone knows they did it and we could have found them guilty, but it�s more fun to say they were not guilty and fine them anyway.
    Can�t think of too many jurisdictions that do that. Russia? Probably bits of the Middle East?
    In this case, the Swans didn�t even break any rules but we�re punishing them anyway.
    This means you can now be found not guilty and be punished, actually not be guilty and be punished and potentially, be guilty and be punished.
    Too good at it
    Sydney made one tactical error. They used the allowance properly.
    They could have gone and got Heath Shaw like the Giants, but no.
    Instead, they stole Buddy from our team the Giants.
    By using it properly, they drew attention to it. Why couldn�t they have just tried to finish eighth or ninth each year?
    They could have had COLA till the end of time.
    Felt like it
    Partly, we at the Commission just felt like it.
    If you�ve seen the movie The Hunt for Red October you would remember that Russian submarine captains like to perform a move called a �crazy Ivan.�
    A �crazy Ivan� involves suddenly altering course for no reason to see if anyone is following you.
    It keeps them guessing.
    The AFL has studied this movie and we like to occasionally throw in a �crazy Ivan� of our own every now and then.
    Just for the hell of it really.
    We�re also pretty fond of doing Sean Connery�s Russian accident. Sometimes we do it for whole Commission meetings.
    Anyway, that should explain everything.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Pridham's tweet on this is very telling referring to 'constructive restraint of trade'. In other words, the Swans will be walking into AFL house and saying you know that whole draft/trade thing you have breaches every law in the land, so do you want to try this all in court?

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    Nice work fj.
    Oh, you're back Shippo!
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Signed & forwarded to everyone I know who might support the cause

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    And the same for me. Good idea.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Opti-pessi-misti
    Signed.

Veterans List
    It's up near 300 signatures but we might want to give it another plug in the morning when more people are around to be outraged.

It's an absolute disgrace what has been done, so I signed. First petition I have ever signed in 40 odd years. And I will be cancelling foxtel because of this and letting them know why.

I'd like to add also that if our club does not go to war over this, I'm going to unfortunately not renew my family's Swans memberships as well.

Already done it tonight. Can't believe this is happening. And the injustice of bullies winning. So how do I support a great club in a corrupt competition?

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    My blood is boiling. Also signed it

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie_X View Post

I'd like to add also that if our club does not go to war over this, I'm going to unfortunately not renew my family's Swans memberships as well.
    Club needs to come out and say WHY they aren't going to war over this if they don't.
    Otherwise they will piss off their fans almost as much as the AFL...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast