Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Petition for more transparancy and accountability in AFL administration

330 with my signature. What a farce the AFL are becoming.

Warming the Bench
    I've been doing everything in the past half an hour with my mouth wide open??? What? Is this a dream?
    ?????
    Did this actually happen?
    Flipping ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Club needs to come out and say WHY they aren't going to war over this if they don't.
    Otherwise they will piss off their fans almost as much as the AFL...
    Yeah that might appease me I guess.

I cannot get my head around it. Signed t

Does anyone know how to contact the AFL to complain with personal letter/email? Their contact us links go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Club needs to come out and say WHY they aren't going to war over this if they don't.
    Otherwise they will piss off their fans almost as much as the AFL...
    It's obvious to me reading between the lines of Pridham's statement that the Swans are already in the midst of going to war on this. However, it won't necessarily be to the Swans advantage to publicly use wording as strong as this or describe any of the tactics they plan to use. I have faith they will fight this to the death.

The player restraint of trade angle is very interesting ... if I recall correctly, it was used some years ago in a legal case in NSW brought by a player against the rugby league administration and resulted in a loss of the court case by the league. As a result, their entire plan to establish a proposed draft system was scuttled. I would have thought both the Swans plus the AFL Players Association (who have publicly criticised the AFL's anti-Swans ruling) threatening to challenge the ruling in court would be a huge risk to the AFL.

I've signed the petition also.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I haven't yet signed the petition but I have sent an e-mail direct to the AFL. I await their response and will keep you informed.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Us signing a petition is pointless....all that is required is for 15 club presidents to come out publicly and DEMAND that the AFL rescind this decision...or face court action. This can't possibly be legal. I know that the AFL can pretty much run things any way they see fit...but they have to do that within the FRAMEWORK and contracts that they have with the clubs. They are entitled to penalise when they find a breach of the rules or a club bringing the game into disrepute. They are entitled to change the COLA agreement and the academy/father son bidding systems from time to time (with the consultation of all clubs as happened earlier this year) but it cannot possibly be legal for them to stop one of their clubs from trading for absolutely no reason.
    From afl.com.au "The Commission stated that the key principle was that the Sydney Swans should use the COLA transition amount to honour existing contracts and not to attract players from other clubs or use that transitional amount to compete with other clubs for the services of players not on their list," - so why is there a ban on trading??? Even following their own logic/statement they are only saying that COLA 2015/2016 should be used only on existing players. Well if that's the case why doesn't the ruling say "Players traded into Sydney not entitled to COLA in 2015/2016."? They have offered absolutely no reason for reneging on the deal made earlier this year. They have offered absolutely no suggestion that the COLA has been misused. This CAN'T be legal!!!!!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Us signing a petition is pointless....all that is required is for 15 club presidents to come out publicly and DEMAND that the AFL rescind this decision...or face court action. This can't possibly be legal. I know that the AFL can pretty much run things any way they see fit...but they have to do that within the FRAMEWORK and contracts that they have with the clubs. They are entitled to penalise when they find a breach of the rules or a club bringing the game into disrepute. They are entitled to change the COLA agreement and the academy/father son bidding systems from time to time (with the consultation of all clubs as happened earlier this year) but it cannot possibly be legal for them to stop one of their clubs from trading for absolutely no reason.
    From afl.com.au "The Commission stated that the key principle was that the Sydney Swans should use the COLA transition amount to honour existing contracts and not to attract players from other clubs or use that transitional amount to compete with other clubs for the services of players not on their list," - so why is there a ban on trading??? Even following their own logic/statement they are only saying that COLA 2015/2016 should be used only on existing players. Well if that's the case why doesn't the ruling say "Players traded into Sydney not entitled to COLA in 2015/2016."? They have offered absolutely no reason for reneging on the deal made earlier this year. They have offered absolutely no suggestion that the COLA has been misused. This CAN'T be legal!!!!!
    But none of the other club presidents will come out and do that - it puts all their clubs in a lovely position to try and 'tap up' our players, knowing if they succeed and get them wanting to trade, we will be in a terrible negotiating position.

The afl won't stop till we shed at least a couple of big names.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    But none of the other club presidents will come out and do that - it puts all their clubs in a lovely position to try and 'tap up' our players, knowing if they succeed and get them wanting to trade, we will be in a terrible negotiating position.
    Not sure about that...some of them have integrity....Geelong, West Coast for example.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Trust me, I have never attended a protest or anything of the thought. But I am so angry and in total disbelief at the AFL, that I would stand out the front of Swans HQ at the SCG and protest against what the AFL is doing. This is truly beyond a joke.
    Same.

The removing of the COLA was disappointing, but not unexpected.
    I was happy to live with that decision in the fight for fairness and equality.

But this decision is appalling. They have no basis to hand down any "penalties" to the Swans.
    They are now taking fairness and equality out of the trade period.

Beyond belief!!!!

Veterans List
    I think, legally, the Swans or ideally the Swans and Players association have enough to seek an injunction to stop trade week this morning. I really hope they do it. That would focus the AFL's tiny minds.

Contact the AFL? Don't make me laugh.

After the brouhaha over Hawks fans' behaviour at the grand final, our group sent emails to the MCC, the HFC and the AFL. The MCC and HFC responded with carefully worded emails (a couple of them form letters), expressed concern and outlined actions they were going to take to address the issues in future. The MCC comms person even followed up and addressed a couple of my specific concerns. Kudos, and reasonably well managed IMO

The AFL on the other hand, sent back an email basically accusing one of our own as taking a cheap shot at the AFL, in a very threatening way.

I know which organisations have my respect after that weekend.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast