Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Sydney Swans best 22, 2015 AFL Premiership Season

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Depth, we've got almost none!

After putting together our best 22 which includes all the veterans and a finally fit Tom Mitchell, we are on very shaky ground.

In order of experience we have 1. Laidler, 2. B Jack, 3. Derickx, 4. Jones, 5. Towers. You can't really say Naismith and X Richards have senior experience.

If we have 5 injuries at any time as is sure to happen then a quarter of the team is made up of those 5 players, none who have shown they really belong at AFL level.

Of all the top 8 sides, we have the least experienced depth of anyone by quite a way. The recruiting ban really hurt us.

What we really need to hope for is that some of those highly promising yet to debut types like Hewett, Heeney, Robinson and Nankerviscan really be as good as the mail says they are. I think Laidler is just ok and the jury is out on Towers and BJ.

Potentially deadly waters await if our injury list doesn't stay short.
    I think you underestimate the list, possibly because you don't see the reserves matches. You don't really know what or who is really coming along, you make judgements on who has played games. Look last year Lloyd, Rohan & Cunningham came on. The only one to have played any games was Rohan. Rampe and Mitchell started to come on in 2013. In 2012 it was AJ and Jetts & Hannas became stars that year.

Last year was spent developing some very fine talent. This year we have managed to draft some ready made talent. As for the developed talent;

Dan Robinson; Been on the list a few years and is developing nicely. He is almost cherry ripe for senior footy. Good kick, really good one on one mark and is a tall lad who can play wing, HF, follower or HB. Played really well in the NAB last year and if he wasn't a Rookie would have been played last year. Don't take my word the coach said so.

Aliir Aliir; this kid was going great guns before his injury. He is such a versatile backman. His give and go out of defence is really good but needs to take the game on a bit more. He'll learn to do that with experience. He is a very good pack mark and his spoils are sensational, sometimes going 30 metres to the boundary. Needs to stick a little closer to his man at times but generally his closing speed makes up for this lapse. Decision making will improve as he gets experience.

Xav Richards; I said when he first came he reminded me of Stephen Silvagni and nothing that has happened so far has changed my mind. In fact the way he plays off his opponent is even more like the great Carlton FB. Cuts forward defensive moves to pieces when he goes for it. He always stands close to his man and has kept every top NEAFL full forward goalless. In fact he was so hard to score on they often set up a second to block him from the contest, imagine being a FB and having two opponents. Not heard of.

Dean Towers; This lad is very clever. But he needs to get the confidence needed to play top level. Two things he needs to do, see Davo about his goal kicking and take the game on. He is a fast learner and is already good defensively. I like his tackling, even though there have been a few who knocked him for this side of his game. His second efforts are really good. Look for him to play a different type of game in 2015.

BJ; It is not enough just to be fast. There needs to be more. BJ has it there but he sometimes runs too fast to implement it. He needs to slow down and steady while shooting for goal on the run. He needs to slow just a bit before he hits the ball and get balance so he can gathers the pill. Needs to trust himself and not just give the ball to the nearest experienced player and then stand there. Want to see him take the game on more, get confidence to go the whole way.

Heeney; What can you say about a bloke who can come in as a Toppy and get 30 possessions in the centre. He is all class and strength. Watch this bloke as he is a stayer. He has supreme confidence and he won't give up until he has what he wants and that is premierships!! Confidence, fight, grit, talent, hatred of opponents, never say die attitude and team spirit. These are all traits of this bloke.

Melican; Can't wait to see him play in NAB. He is looking exciting. Gets alone a lot even against our very experienced players. I think he would be able to make space in a 6x4 cell. Bloody incredible. Good size, athletic but in a footy sense. Reminds me of a young Jonno Brown in build and ability to hit the packs. He won't back down. This bloke might just be the wild card in the defensive pack.

Hewett; All talent. Kicks both feet and is a superb footpass. Bloody beautiful to watch. If we get the chance on FOX to see him hit Tip & Buddy from 40-60 metres on the lead it will be something to see. He did it for Toby & The One That Went To Scum Kilda, in the NEAFL last year so well. He is also the play maker in the centre square. Mitchell extracts to Hewett, Hewett sets up play with either handball or kick. Very classy and will probably take mark of the year when he matures. He blocks too. All the reserves players do unlike our seniors.

Toby; Need I say much about this fella? Yes I do. He's big. He's a bruiser. He opens packs like a hot knife through butter. Good tap ruck and occasional 20-30 metre punch. Doesn't take @@@@ from anyone. He kicks goals. He will also have completed his first real preseason and will be far more dextrous than last year. This fella has resting ruck/ruck written all over him. He could be anything and I'm telling you there are not too many who are going to beat him in a marking contest. He absolutely smashes the packs, players go everywhere. Toby almost always ends up with the ball.

I don't know about you but I rather like Zac Jones. He has the grunt. I know Laids is only making up the numbers but you need players like that in case of injuries. He is a solid AFL performer without being flashy. Naismith has always been a long term prospect. He is a very big guy and they take a while. He is developing nicely. The unfortunate thing for him is his first game was played against the form ruckman of the comp.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 15th February 2015 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I have an optimistic view of fringe players like Towers and Brandon Jack. They have the electric pace that is sought after in the John Longmire system. They can give the Swans 6-8 tackles in open play and apply copious amounts of pressure.

I think there is huge upside in Brandon Jack. He just needs a moment where he takes three bounces on a wing and unloads a 55 metre goal. The gifts are there. He just needs the confidence. A big moment at senior level will give him the confidence.
    BJ needs to slow down and steady before kicking as normally he is way ahead of his opponent when he kicks for goal. He also needs to slow just as he approaches the ball to pick up. By slowing you get balance and then time your run for a burst out of either a pack or away from a player. You get balance that is the main thing. By going at full pace all the time he is losing his balance and therefore stuffing up and losing confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Melican was the final pick in the rookie draft. This essentially makes him the lowest rated young player in the AFL when he commenced Pre-Season training.

The fact that he is being talked about in Rampe and AJ terms is fantastic.

If he plays senior games this year it would be an amazing achievement.
    Matt the reason he was the last pick is because by the time the Rookie Draft came along we were certain nobody would take him due to his age. He is a little young for KPP. Clubs don't like to take a risk on an 18 YO KPP. We did and I think it will work.

Best 22

So after a lot of hard thinking this off season, I've put together my best 22 (hopefully all stay fit)

I don't believe we should try go smaller as some "experts" would say/ did say. I believe under our tall stocks we should just add more rovers, fast players and so on.

Here it is:

B: Smith, Richards, Rampe
    CHB: Rohan , Grundy, Shaw
    Mid: Jetta , Jack, Mcveigh
    CHF: Mcglynn, Buddy, Cunningham
    F: Reid, Tippet, Goodes
    R: Pyke, Kennedy, Parker.

Inter: Hanners, Mitchell, Heeney, Bird.

I still think we may lack a little speed in some areas BUT Rampe is a tall solid player with good speed and a great kick, I'd like to see him play some
    Midfield.
    I'd like too see Rohan rotate between back, wing & forward throughout games. Same as Jetta

Mcveigh to swing back when Rohan or Rampe aren't in the backline.

Mcglynn to continue some time in the midfield to add speed and defensive pressure.

Kieran Jack to spend more time forward this year.

I'd like to see a lot more rotation in terms of positions, I think we have great versatility that we didn't use enough last year, throw teams like hawthorn off course when all of the sudden Rampe goes into the midfield and what not.

Thoughts?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    So after a lot of hard thinking this off season, I've put together my best 22 (hopefully all stay fit)

I don't believe we should try go smaller as some "experts" would say/ did say. I believe under our tall stocks we should just add more rovers, fast players and so on.

Here it is:

B: Smith, Richards, Rampe
    CHB: Rohan , Grundy, Shaw
    Mid: Jetta , Jack, Mcveigh
    CHF: Mcglynn, Buddy, Cunningham
    F: Reid, Tippet, Goodes
    R: Pyke, Kennedy, Parker.

Inter: Hanners, Mitchell, Heeney, Bird.

I still think we may lack a little speed in some areas BUT Rampe is a tall solid player with good speed and a great kick, I'd like to see him play some
    Midfield.
    I'd like too see Rohan rotate between back, wing & forward throughout games. Same as Jetta

Mcveigh to swing back when Rohan or Rampe aren't in the backline.

Mcglynn to continue some time in the midfield to add speed and defensive pressure.

Kieran Jack to spend more time forward this year.

I'd like to see a lot more rotation in terms of positions, I think we have great versatility that we didn't use enough last year, throw teams like hawthorn off course when all of the sudden Rampe goes into the midfield and what not.

Thoughts?
    It seems to me that one of Reid, Towers, Mitchell, Cunningham or Lloyd will miss out. You have chosen Lloyd. I will be interested to see the outcome. Whoever it is will be stiff to miss out.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718