Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans best 22, 2015 AFL Premiership Season

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Never thought I would say this at start of season, but Derickx gets my vote for ruckman. And I can't find a spot for Shaw in my starting team. He is holding up development and is now a depth player IMO. Rampe and McVeigh are my rebounding midfielders (HB) and Jack & Jetta are my attacking midfielder's (HF). They provide defensive pressure and usually good kicks. Mitchell comes into to help Kennedy out in the trenches and allows Parker to play a more roaming midfield role. I would also like to see Jones get some more game time. Cunningham is my small forward and I would like to see Rohan play more in the forward half as well. He is a good mark, kick for goal and applies defensive pressure with his speed. I didn't like him in defence. It would be nice to see Hewett, Heeney, Nankervis and XR gets some senior game time through rotations. I am still hoping Naismith gets upgraded to get some experience into him as well.

FB. Smith Richards Reid
    HB. Rampe Grundy McVeigh
    CTR. Hannebery Parker McGlynn
    FOL. Derickx Kennedy Mitchell
    HF. Jack Franklin Jetta
    FF. Goodes Tippett Cunningham
    INT. Lloyd, Bird, Rohan, Jones
    EMG. Pyke, Hewett, Heeney, XR, Nankervis
    Derickx in front of Pyke - you've got to be kidding me. Derickx with Pyke could work I think, but there is no way in hell that Derickx should be seen in front of Pyke (unless he really goes downhill next year). He was one of the very few to get close to breaking even on Grand Final day, and I'd argue he was probably in the top 3 or 4 in the Finals voting this year, he really did have a very good finals series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Seriously, I don't understand all the love now for Derickx? Yes he tried hard and did a job for us when we were struggling for a ruckman through the early/middle part of the year but seriously! Many of his performances were not close to AFL standard! He mostly drops marks although he managed to hold onto one or two beauties! But dropped many sitters. His kicking is below average (yes Pyke isn't much better but still...) and rarely wins the ball around the ground and creates an option. He is just depth which is what he was recruited for and I'd be staggered and extremely disappointed if Nankervis or Naismith doesn't move past him for senior games this year!
    +1 to this. If he can improve his marking and disposal over the summer he might be a shot at pushing Pyke, but he really is a back up option. If we get to a point where he is the 1st choice ruckman for the team on merit, I think we will be in trouble to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    What I am picking up on with many comments is that everyone seems to be talking about options that WILL NOT HELP THE SWANS WIN A FLAG NEXT YEAR. Yes, Naismith, yes Heeney, yes X Richards - but will 'game time' result in a premiership in 2015? No it won't. I don't understand the thinking when the premiership window is open now (and just barely). Everyone is talking about options that won't come to fruition until Buddy is into his 30s and Tippett has retired. Geez. That's why the VFL decision was @@@@@@ and it will probably have the effect they desired.

Heeney and Jones may help win a flag next year but as far as KPD we are @@@@@@.
    I think Jones does have all the ingredients to slot in and improve the team. As for Heeney- its tough to predict whether he will push for senior footy next year. I'd argue he probably might get a game or two, but is unlikely to burst onto the scene. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Our KPD is terrible - any injuries in there and we are stuffed good and proper.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

My team...

FB : Rampe ; Richards ; Smith
    HB : Reid ; Grundy ; McVeigh
    C : Hannebery ; Kennedy ; Cunningham
    HF : Rohan ; Franklin ; Jack
    FF : McGlynn ; Tippett ; Mitchell
    FOL : Pyke ; Parker ; Bird
    INTER : Derrickx ; Jetta ; Jones
    SUB : Goodes
    EMG : Laidler, Lloyd, Heeney
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    While I understand that we can't necessarily rely on any of the younger players to come in and significantly improve the team, there is every likelihood that one or two will. Many premiership sides (and those who challenge fiercely) have at a couple of previously fringe players who have a break out season and make a real difference. Brad Hill last year for the Hawks (as a second year player, I think) and Langford this year (as a third year player) were significant reasons for their premiership. In 2012 we saw Jetta produce a year far beyond what his previous games had indicated he might be capable of, and Alex Johnson was good all year and got better as the year went on. And even this year, Cunningham and Lloyd were two who delivered more than we had a right to expect. Remember that, despite the end result, we did reach the Grand Final!

Sure, if we are forced to rely on a lot of younger players at the same time, we may struggle. But I see no reason why one or two of Jones, Heeney, Mitchell, Towers, Jack or Hewitt mightn't become valuable contributors for us in 2015. The current NEAFL set-up looks to be very positive for enabling the club to develop players to play senior football. The higher quality of the top-ups must be a factor, as it means the listed players can play disciplined team footy, rather than getting into bad habits trying to do things outside team structures to cover for sub-standard top-ups. And the fact we now play around half the games against other AFL reserves sides, rather than multiple games against Tuggeranong and the like, is also a huge plus. Add in a very capable development coach in Crouch and the development set up looks rather good.

Stay positive people!!!!

What I am picking up on with many comments is that everyone seems to be talking about options that WILL NOT HELP THE SWANS WIN A FLAG NEXT YEAR. Yes, Naismith, yes Heeney, yes X Richards - but will 'game time' result in a premiership in 2015? No it won't. I don't understand the thinking when the premiership window is open now (and just barely). Everyone is talking about options that won't come to fruition until Buddy is into his 30s and Tippett has retired. Geez. That's why the VFL decision was @@@@@@ and it will probably have the effect they desired.

Heeney and Jones may help win a flag next year but as far as KPD we are @@@@@@.
    But what is the point of your post ? We can't trade in someone and we can't draft an hitherto undiscovered kpd unless they come from Ireland or rugby.

The reality is - does our list have the capacity to finish top four. That is the only aim - top four and you're in with being the best team in September. Not the team with the best list best forward best midfield etc.

Our best 25 can match it with pretty much everyone except the Hawks. Provided we win 16 games out of 22 we are quite capable of beating most anyone on our day, and with tweaks to coaching, players and game plan we might actually be capable of beating hawthorn

Goes up to 11
    Regardless of the existence of the trading ban or not, the fact that we got Buddy last year (and to a lesser extent Tippett the year before) was always going to mean that our list would tail off into inexperienced, but talented, youngsters. It was inevitable that we had to trade away some depth players like Everitt, Armstrong, Biggs and others as well as let Mal go to a better offer. It's been a calculated risk that almost paid off this year. I'm confident that the absolute quality at the top of our list will pull up some of the youngsters that we have developing at the other end of the list.

Yes the trade ban is ridiculous, but I don't think it will necessitate much of a change to our direction for 2015. Come back to me in a year for an assessment of the impact on 2016 (if the ban is still in place)...

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    But what is the point of your post ? We can't trade in someone and we can't draft an hitherto undiscovered kpd unless they come from Ireland or rugby.

The reality is - does our list have the capacity to finish top four. That is the only aim - top four and you're in with being the best team in September. Not the team with the best list best forward best midfield etc.

Our best 25 can match it with pretty much everyone except the Hawks. Provided we win 16 games out of 22 we are quite capable of beating most anyone on our day, and with tweaks to coaching, players and game plan we might actually be capable of beating hawthorn
    I agree with what you are saying. And the point of my post is that the Swans need to do things like play Derickx for most games instead of the very young rucks (except for a few easy games). With the exception of Ryder, ruckmen are pretty limited skill-wise anyway, so if Derickx comes on with arms and legs flailing and kocks out McEvoy and Hale, then that is what we need. Sometimes Pyke approaches like he is about the enquire about the Dow Jones or something.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

Suspended by the MRP
    My senior team:

B Reid Richards Smith
    H.B Rohan Grundy Rampe
    C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
    H.F McVeigh Franklin Cunning
    F Mglynn Tippett Goodes
    Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy
    Inter Mitchell Lloyd Heeney
    Sub Jones

I agree with what you are saying. And the point of my post is that the Swans need to do things like play Derickx for most games instead of the very young rucks (except for a few easy games). With the exception of Ryder, ruckmen are pretty limited skill-wise anyway, so if Derickx comes on with arms and legs flailing and kocks out McEvoy and Hale, then that is what we need. Sometimes Pyke approaches like he is about the enquire about the Dow Jones or something.
    Having watched a couple of NEAFL games on YouTube this year including the grand final I still believe that hoping that Nankervis moves ahead of Derickx is the way to go! If you want to see Derickx play solely to add some grunt to our side then I still think that Nankervis showed he has that side to his game also this year, with the added bonus that he can take a mark and kick a goal or two! As an earlier post said, if we are in the situation that we are relying on Tom D as our number 1 ruck option then we are totally stuffed!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    My senior team:

B Reid Richards Smith
    H.B Rohan Grundy Rampe
    C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
    H.F McVeigh Franklin Cunning
    F Mglynn Tippett Goodes
    Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy
    Inter Mitchell Lloyd Heeney
    Sub Jones
    That is an exciting team but could that mixture of youth mix it with the HAWKS fully fit in a GF ?

Maybe ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    That is an exciting team but could that mixture of youth mix it with the HAWKS fully fit in a GF ?

Maybe ?
    You would hope that everyone plays better than the GF, but the following guys would need to improve their seasons in 2015:

Rohan
    Reid
    Jetta
    Tippett
    Goodes
    Mitchell

We would also need the younger brigade of Cunningham and Lloyd to continue their forward momentum.

An immediate impact from Heeney and Jones would also be desired.

I was reading the Michael Gleeson piece in The Age about ruckman and the following stood out to me
    "One club's ruck coach said it was difficult to assess the value of ruckmen because people tried to distil their game to statistics that were inadequate and misleading, because the intangibles of a good ruck were unquantifiable.

"What value do you put on a big bloke having presence? What value do you put on a bloke who knocks midfielders over, blocks and puts the wind up them? None of those are stats."

Yes Mike held his own against Hawthorn stats wise. But they are just stats. Could the intangibles that I think Tom brings be more important to team success. Especially against Hawthorn. Tom was our ruckman in rnd9 when we beat them. Mike was our ruckman in the other two games and we lost both. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I was reading the Michael Gleeson piece in The Age about ruckman and the following stood out to me
    "One club's ruck coach said it was difficult to assess the value of ruckmen because people tried to distil their game to statistics that were inadequate and misleading, because the intangibles of a good ruck were unquantifiable.

"What value do you put on a big bloke having presence? What value do you put on a bloke who knocks midfielders over, blocks and puts the wind up them? None of those are stats."

Yes Mike held his own against Hawthorn stats wise. But they are just stats. Could the intangibles that I think Tom brings be more important to team success. Especially against Hawthorn. Tom was our ruckman in rnd9 when we beat them. Mike was our ruckman in the other two games and we lost both. Just saying.
    Your arguing in one part of it that post that ruckman are relatively unimportant in their main role but then suggesting derricx is the reason we beat the dawks in rd 9.

I agree that the role of the ruckman is often over rated and physical presence is important- but I cant agree that derricx should be no 1 in front of pyke at all...... but that isnt too say derricx couldnt end up finding a spot in the 22 - but he has to improve a lot around the ground too. A ruckman can have all the presence in the world, but its not much use if he can't give his team some first use of the ball. Go through the stats of Dericx games from this year and youll see that he is an ok ruckman at best.

I hope Naismith continues to progress, as I think we undervalue the potential for two rucks to work well, especially when you throw in tippett to ruck a bit in the forward line.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast