B Reid Richards Smith
    H.B Rohan Grundy Rampe
    C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
    H.F McVeigh Franklin Cunning
    F Mglynn Tippett Goodes
    Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy
    Inter Mitchell Lloyd Heeney
    Sub Jones
    The best team I've seen so far. McGlynn needs to be our small fwd. Rohan needs to play at half back as we need the run from there, esp now that Malcho has gone. Reid to go to the 2nd/3rd tall.

I have a feeling that Heeney won't play too many games this year. We usually hold our players back in the Magoos longer than other teams. Maybe Hewitt might come in? I haven't seen him play but the vibe is that he's capable.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    The best team I've seen so far. McGlynn needs to be our small fwd. Rohan needs to play at half back as we need the run from there, esp now that Malcho has gone. Reid to go to the 2nd/3rd tall.

I have a feeling that Heeney won't play too many games this year. We usually hold our players back in the Magoos longer than other teams. Maybe Hewitt might come in? I haven't seen him play but the vibe is that he's capable.
    Don't forget of course, that Heeney has been playing in the magoos already. Unlike a normal first round pick who comes to the club 'cold', Heeney already knows our training, culture, positional play, teammates, and most important of all, what is required to play. All that remains for him is to show that he deserves a place and he will be in (Mitchell's 2014 scenario notwithstanding). I actually think that Heeney may just hit the ground running as most of the other draft picks will have to get used to the above before they can get a game.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Your arguing in one part of it that post that ruckman are relatively unimportant in their main role but then suggesting derricx is the reason we beat the dawks in rd 9.

I agree that the role of the ruckman is often over rated and physical presence is important- but I cant agree that derricx should be no 1 in front of pyke at all...... but that isnt too say derricx couldnt end up finding a spot in the 22 - but he has to improve a lot around the ground too. A ruckman can have all the presence in the world, but its not much use if he can't give his team some first use of the ball. Go through the stats of Dericx games from this year and youll see that he is an ok ruckman at best.

I hope Naismith continues to progress, as I think we undervalue the potential for two rucks to work well, especially when you throw in tippett to ruck a bit in the forward line.
    I guess it points out that we have two ruckman that bring two different parts of the role to the table. Two different players that have their pro's and con's. In my view, I prefer the Derickx part. But I don't feel passionately about it either way. If they picked either, I acknowledge it is a weakness. If only we could combine them. Ironically we would end up with some one like Mumford. I don't believe we can play both as some have suggested. I don't see what we gain there.

I too hope Naismith can continue to develop as I think he could be a similar player to Mumford. That is why I am disappointed Naismith has not been upgraded yet. I would like to see him get some handpicked senior games into him. It is hard to do this as a rookie.

Another important player is Nankervis. If he can develop as I think he can as forward/ruck, it will give us options when Tippett's contract is up at the end of 2016. If Naismith hasn't developed as hoped, we could chop a 30 year old Tippett's and use the coin to chase a star ruckman.

"Just my opinion".

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I guess it points out that we have two ruckman that bring two different parts of the role to the table. Two different players that have their pro's and con's. In my view, I prefer the Derickx part. But I don't feel passionately about it either way. If they picked either, I acknowledge it is a weakness. If only we could combine them. Ironically we would end up with some one like Mumford. I don't believe we can play both as some have suggested. I don't see what we gain there.

I too hope Naismith can continue to develop as I think he could be a similar player to Mumford. That is why I am disappointed Naismith has not been upgraded yet. I would like to see him get some handpicked senior games into him. It is hard to do this as a rookie.

Another important player is Nankervis. If he can develop as I think he can as forward/ruck, it will give us options when Tippett's contract is up at the end of 2016. If Naismith hasn't developed as hoped, we could chop a 30 year old Tippett's and use the coin to chase a star ruckman.

"Just my opinion".
    I'm guessing that AJ will stay on the main list but go on the long term injury list - thus potentially allowing Naismith to be upgraded.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I think shaw will struggle to be in the yeam by the later half of next year. Rohan can do his run, and laidler adds a true defenders hard nut

Senior Player
    Considering their youth and/or build I'm expecting Nanka, Naismith, Hewett, Jones and Aliir to come back with significant extra kilos next year. Xav might even put on a bit even though he well be nearly 22 at the start of next season. Robo is also a chance to put on a bit.

Hewett (not 19 until December) must be an option as an HBF especially if he also puts on a couple of cms as well (currently listed as 185cm/77kg, expect him to be listed at about 187/85kg next year, he really stacked on the muscle during the year, also a perfect size for a HBF or ruck rover).

Aliir listed as 91 KG as a 19yo.You would expect that he would put on at least another 5 or so KG. Big enough to take on the big guys.

Naismith, given that he only stopped growing this year can be expected to pile on a few Kgs this year too. Expect about 108Kgs.

Nanka - 101 KG as a 19yo. If he puts on a few kilos he will be an absolute brute.

Jones listed as 181/75Kg. His brother at Melbourne is listed as 87Kg. Expect over 80Kg from Zac if his bro is anything to go by, should be ready for the seniors by then.

The character and physical presence of the list should be quite different next year simply because of the growth of the youth.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

i don't believe we can have a best 22. I think we need to look at games individually and play players who are more likely to beat the opponent. Too many times we have played a player and realised he was wrong for that day against that side. Ok we won most games but we should still look at that style. I saw what Clarkson & his coaching staff did during the season with his players. There were many times when an experienced player could have come in and played but Hawks rested them because the match ups were better with the younger players. He even used this ploy on us & Port in the finals by dropping Sewell & playing Langford & Simpkin. Brave move. We need to be as brave an blood new players according to match ups.

langford was more then ready come the final series and then he went up a notch again

i hope the same for Rohan, Harry, Jake, Zac, Mitchell and Reid in 2015
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    i don't believe we can have a best 22.......... We need to be as brave an blood new players according to match ups.
    I called for this many times last year but was told by many, many people that you don't rest players, always play your best 22, we have to worry about finishing top 2, players don't want to stand down, etc. The only time we should be worried about best 22 is during the finals series. And that will be determined by who is available. But during the season, IMO, we should have a rotating squad of players. Where players like X, Jones, Hewett, Robinson, Heeney, Naismith, Nankervis and Towers can get around 3-6 games each based on matchups. If we cant beat the likes of Saints, Melbourne, Bulldogs, etc with 2 or 3 of these players in our team then our future is not looking too bright. Everyone boasts about our depth. We need to get games into these players soon, as they are the future of our club. The trade ban that has been imposed on us has only reinforced this. I know a lot of people don't agree with this, but just my opinion.

Veterans List
    I think Rohan should play as a defensive wingman. Unless he tightens up dramatically his occasional solo run will be a waste of time. Leave him on the wing to make space as a running target.

Cunningham to me is still very outside. He was ok as a run with player but caught out big time in the GF. As a half forward he bobs with the odd goals but is not hard enough going the other way. I think both he and Rohan will be the blokes who might find it hard to hold their places.

If these young blokes like Heeney and Hewitt are as good as what people say they are, then they will force their way in. Mitchell might lack a bit of pace but he wins a lot more footy than Rohan and Cunningham put together.

It's a bit silly to compare the amount of footy players like Cunningham or Rohan get with an inside mid like Mitchell. Of course he's going to get more of the ball. Buddy rarely cracks 20 possessions a game but you'd hardly say his impact is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I think Rohan should play as a defensive wingman. Unless he tightens up dramatically his occasional solo run will be a waste of time. Leave him on the wing to make space as a running target.

Cunningham to me is still very outside. He was ok as a run with player but caught out big time in the GF. As a half forward he bobs with the odd goals but is not hard enough going the other way. I think both he and Rohan will be the blokes who might find it hard to hold their places.

If these young blokes like Heeney and Hewitt are as good as what people say they are, then they will force their way in. Mitchell might lack a bit of pace but he wins a lot more footy than Rohan and Cunningham put together.
    For me, Rohan could be a huge factor in our improvement next year. We all know he had a shocker in the GF, but he wasn't the only one. I'm not entirely convinced that he could be the player we all want him to be. But I haven't given up on him yet. One of my criticisms has been that he just doesn't get enough of the ball. So I started thinking, why don't we send him to the ball and play him as an inside midfielder. I think he has enough hardness in him and he certainly has the size. I can see him applying some punishing tackles in and around the contests. In fact if you compare to Nat Fyfe, he is a almost exactly same size. Rohan - age 23, 189cm and 89 kg. Fyfe is 23, 190cm and 88kg. Obviously he would have to seriously improve on his stamina and gut running over the pre season. But maybe he could be our very own Fyfe and bring in some much needed size into the midfield. What are peoples thoughts?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast