Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans best 22, 2015 AFL Premiership Season

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar

Sydney Swans best 22, 2015 AFL Premiership Season

Thought I'd have a crack at our best team for next year, haven't included AJ because he is unlikely to play in 2015,

Here goes...

B: Nick Smith, Ted Richards, Dane Rampe

HB: Sam Reid, Heath Grundy, Jarrad McVeigh

C: Lewis Jetta, Tom Mitchell, Dan Hannebery

HF: Harry Cunningham, Lance Franklin, Kieren Jack

FF: Ben McGlynn, Kurt Tippett, Adam Goodes

F: Mike Pyke, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker

I/C: Craig Bird, Gary Rohan, Rhyce Shaw, Jake Lloyd (s)

Emg: Jeremy Laidler, Zak Jones, George Hewett

Brandon Jack
    Dean Towers
    Tom Derrickx
    Allir Allir
    Toby Nankervis
    Daniel Robinson
    Xavier Richards
    Isaac Heeney
    Jack Hiscox
    Abaina Davis
    Draft pick #37
    Harrison Marsh*
    Alex Johnson*

note: * denotes currently uncontracted players

Sam Naismith
    Lloyd Perris
    Rookie pick
    Rookie pick
    Rookie pick
    Rookie pick
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

On the Rookie List
    No injuries please! Outside the 22 we have eight players with senior experience including Alex Johnson. Four of the eight have under 10 games between them.

Not much experience in our depth but plenty of exciting talent! The future is bright

Yep pretty good team, just a few notes....IMO..

Jetta needs to win his spot back with a big pre season and some good early form.

Goodes should be used as a sub every 2nd or 3rd week. That's assuming, unlike this year, he works hard when we don't have the ball.

I agree that McGlynn should be moved back to the forward pocket. With occasional forays into the midfield when needed.

Zak Jones, if he has a good preseason, should be given as much game time as possible in the early rounds, ahead of Shaw or Jetta, depending on their form.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 17th October 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Yeh wouldn't mind Jones in the team as much as possible...brings that real mongrel and toughness that we lack at times.

And think you're being a bit harsh on Jetta...horrible grand final but wasn't alone! He was in our top 2 or 3 players in the Prelim and I think his kicking is vital...particularly with Mal gone!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

On the Rookie List
    If you're putting McGlynn in the forward pocket, I just want to suggest something.....people can throw stuff at me all day, but I'm going to say this anyway despite the backlash...... Swan would be a better team with Derickx in place of Goodes. If McGlynn is the crumbing forward, it is better to have two ruckmen who can both play forward and leave Tippett at FF -no ruck work for him. Need two ruckmen, especially one bullocking crazy MF like Derickx.

In my opinion, the team would be stronger with this set up.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

I would like to see Shaw out and Jetta and Rohan both playing on wings with the brief to drop back when the ball is in the opposition hands, and then run like they can when we win the ball back. Both can then run/deliver very quickly to the forward set up.

I agree with McVeigh back in a permanent role, and his distribution to those 2 'wingmen' is the replacement tactic for Malceski.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    If you're putting McGlynn in the forward pocket, I just want to suggest something.....people can throw stuff at me all day, but I'm going to say this anyway despite the backlash...... Swan would be a better team with Derickx in place of Goodes. If McGlynn is the crumbing forward, it is better to have two ruckmen who can both play forward and leave Tippett at FF -no ruck work for him. Need two ruckmen, especially one bullocking crazy MF like Derickx.

In my opinion, the team would be stronger with this set up.
    Yep, when I think about it, I agree with you.

If Derrickx can get a bit more involved around the ground, it would make it a no brainer...IMO.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Never thought I would say this at start of season, but Derickx gets my vote for ruckman. And I can't find a spot for Shaw in my starting team. He is holding up development and is now a depth player IMO. Rampe and McVeigh are my rebounding midfielders (HB) and Jack & Jetta are my attacking midfielder's (HF). They provide defensive pressure and usually good kicks. Mitchell comes into to help Kennedy out in the trenches and allows Parker to play a more roaming midfield role. I would also like to see Jones get some more game time. Cunningham is my small forward and I would like to see Rohan play more in the forward half as well. He is a good mark, kick for goal and applies defensive pressure with his speed. I didn't like him in defence. It would be nice to see Hewett, Heeney, Nankervis and XR gets some senior game time through rotations. I am still hoping Naismith gets upgraded to get some experience into him as well.

FB. Smith Richards Reid
    HB. Rampe Grundy McVeigh
    CTR. Hannebery Parker McGlynn
    FOL. Derickx Kennedy Mitchell
    HF. Jack Franklin Jetta
    FF. Goodes Tippett Cunningham
    INT. Lloyd, Bird, Rohan, Jones
    EMG. Pyke, Hewett, Heeney, XR, Nankervis

Regular in the Side
    If Derickx and McGlynn are both having a crack at a grand final next year it will be a great story. Now if we pick up someone who's been delisted as well....

Seriously, I don't understand all the love now for Derickx? Yes he tried hard and did a job for us when we were struggling for a ruckman through the early/middle part of the year but seriously! Many of his performances were not close to AFL standard! He mostly drops marks although he managed to hold onto one or two beauties! But dropped many sitters. His kicking is below average (yes Pyke isn't much better but still...) and rarely wins the ball around the ground and creates an option. He is just depth which is what he was recruited for and I'd be staggered and extremely disappointed if Nankervis or Naismith doesn't move past him for senior games this year!

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Seriously, I don't understand all the love now for Derickx? Yes he tried hard and did a job for us when we were struggling for a ruckman through the early/middle part of the year but seriously! Many of his performances were not close to AFL standard! He mostly drops marks although he managed to hold onto one or two beauties! But dropped many sitters. His kicking is below average (yes Pyke isn't much better but still...) and rarely wins the ball around the ground and creates an option. He is just depth which is what he was recruited for and I'd be staggered and extremely disappointed if Nankervis or Naismith doesn't move past him for senior games this year!
    What I am picking up on with many comments is that everyone seems to be talking about options that WILL NOT HELP THE SWANS WIN A FLAG NEXT YEAR. Yes, Naismith, yes Heeney, yes X Richards - but will 'game time' result in a premiership in 2015? No it won't. I don't understand the thinking when the premiership window is open now (and just barely). Everyone is talking about options that won't come to fruition until Buddy is into his 30s and Tippett has retired. Geez. That's why the VFL decision was @@@@@@ and it will probably have the effect they desired.

Heeney and Jones may help win a flag next year but as far as KPD we are @@@@@@.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast